What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Flash actually?

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The whole Blu-ray/VHS comparison is ridiculous. There is no "Bluray" with regards to online video yet. The HTML5 standard isn't going to be finished for YEARS. By the time its finished, what happens if Apple supported HTML5 encode, h.264, isn't the one that is the standard? Only SOME HTML5 videos will work with apple products. That is ridiculous.

It's not like Apple can't patch their iOS devices, which would make them work with whatever standard is chosen. And it is never too early for the Web to begin adopting a standard.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the pace of change today, if you wait for the final implemented standard, you will be forever waiting. There are already people working on the next standard after HTML5. And maybe past that. The way they work, the basics of the standards are laid out first, and then they work on the fine tuning. It can be years before they get the tuning down pat. In the meantime, the information is there to create devices that will be compatible. The only thing they require is tweaking the programming when more of the code is completed. There is a lot of this going on, and it can be years before the standard is finished, but that does not mean it cannot be used now.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True. But expect my VHS player to play all of my VHS tapes.
Naturally...but you wouldn't expect your Blu-ray player to play your VHS tapes correct?

The whole Blu-ray/VHS comparison is ridiculous. There is no "Bluray" with regards to online video yet. The HTML5 standard isn't going to be finished for YEARS. By the time its finished, what happens if Apple supported HTML5 encode, h.264, isn't the one that is the standard? Only SOME HTML5 videos will work with apple products. That is ridiculous.
I don't think there's any real VHS/Blu-ray "comparisons". The OP stated that he naturally expected his VHS tapes to play in his VHS player. I simply asked if the OP expected one (antiquated) format (VHS tapes) to work with newer technology.

Apple has never had a problem abandoning dying technology for something better. I actually do wish they had embraced Blu-ray but that's their choice and there are alternatives. I don't hold a grudge against Apple for not including a floppy disk drive...or any drive for that matter...in my new Macbook Air. Just because something still exists doesn't mean it will be backward compatible for eternity. My iPad's battery life would not be as stellar as it is if it were to have to run Flash. I'm glad they made that decision. YMMV.

I get that Flash is still prevalent and that many folks would like their iPad's to play it out of the box (as there are apps for a work around) but it doesn't. However, again, that's Apple's choice and it's been that way from day one. You can disagree with their choice and you can also buy something else that does what you'd like.

The theory about the future/timeline of HTML 5 and other tech is interesting. Only time will tell. However the "what if they have problems with some other technology in the future" is a straw man argument. If you're looking for a "silver bullet" [insert CE product here] that will (ostensibly) work with everything out there, let us know how that goes. :)

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's not like Apple can't patch their iOS devices, which would make them work with whatever standard is chosen. And it is never too early for the Web to begin adopting a standard.
I don't understand how this forum's quotes work sometimes. :confused: I think they need to fix it. Just to be clear, the above quote which appears to be attributed to me is actually from Thphilli's post.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
29b1w5w.png

Appropriated from 8 Websites You Need to Stop Building - The Oatmeal

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my iPad on order (due to be delivered on Tuesday)... but I am a long time iPod user, so I am familiar with the Flash issue. It is a symptom of a larger issue. Control over a device that I own.

After I purchased my iPod, the second thing I did was jailbreak it. My wife thought I was crazy. But you know what... it was MY iPod and I wanted to use it as I wished. Not as anyone else wished.

Ditto for the iPad, when it arrives. I do NOT like to be told what to do with my own property. Once jailbroken, I can run whatever software I wish. And those telling me to run or not run Flash can go take a walk!

:D

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pawnslinger said:
I have my iPad on order (due to be delivered on Tuesday)... but I am a long time iPod user, so I am familiar with the Flash issue. It is a symptom of a larger issue. Control over a device that I own.

After I purchased my iPod, the second thing I did was jailbreak it. My wife thought I was crazy. But you know what... it was MY iPod and I wanted to use it as I wished. Not as anyone else wished.

Ditto for the iPad, when it arrives. I do NOT like to be told what to do with my own property. Once jailbroken, I can run whatever software I wish. And those telling me to run or not run Flash can go take a walk!

Live free or die my friend. Don't give up the fight!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife first bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab, then an iPad. She now uses the Galaxy almost exclusively because it supports Flash. As a result, I get a hand-me-down iPad to play with. Everybody wins.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
pawnslinger said:

I could smash my iPad and frankly, nobody would care ;)

The issue is not about freedom as in free speech, but freedom as data available without provider restriction or monopoly. It's a fact, no having Flash can be limiting in some websites. The problem is not lack of flash support but data access restriction. The talk is about flash, but the same goes for silverlight, java applets, IE only sites...

What I find strange is that you care for flash support, but you got an iPad which does not support it... Why did you not get a Galaxy Tablet instead? Just wondering...

VicoPad addict!

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You miss my point. I like Apple products. I tried to tell you that, I am a long time Apple customer. Some might call me an Apple fanboy. I have owned all sorts of Apple products.

I do not particularly care about Flash, one way or another. I care about being told how to use my own property. I currently own an Android tablet, which I "rooted" right after purchase. For the same reason that I plan to jailbreak my iPad, when it arrives. I do not cater to anyone restricting how I use my computing equipment. I don't care if it is Android or iOS. A desktop or a tablet. I pay for the equipment I purchase, it is my right to do with it what I please.

Flash is available to jailbroken iPads. I believe that Comex has ported Adobe Flash 10.1 to iOS, but the device must be jailbroken before you can use it. I do not know if I will use "Frash", what Comex calls his ported version of Flash... but I want the freedom to make my own decision.

And yes, as someone else wrote above, "live free or die". I fought for this country, and would do so again, if the need arose. I fought for my freedom... and the freedom of every other person who enjoys the liberty that this country provides. To me these are not just words... "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". They are ideals worth fighting and dying for.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
pawnslinger said:
You miss my point. I like Apple products. I tried to tell you that, I am a long time Apple customer. Some might call me an Apple fanboy. I have owned all sorts of Apple products.

I do not particularly care about Flash, one way or another. I care about being told how to use my own property. I currently own an Android tablet, which I "rooted" right after purchase. For the same reason that I plan to jailbreak my iPad, when it arrives. I do not cater to anyone restricting how I use my computing equipment. I don't care if it is Android or iOS. A desktop or a tablet. I pay for the equipment I purchase, it is my right to do with it what I please.

Flash is available to jailbroken iPads. I believe that Comex has ported Adobe Flash 10.1 to iOS, but the device must be jailbroken before you can use it. I do not know if I will use "Frash", what Comex calls his ported version of Flash... but I want the freedom to make my own decision.

And yes, as someone else wrote above, "live free or die". I fought for this country, and would do so again, if the need arose. I fought for my freedom... and the freedom of every other person who enjoys the liberty that this country provides. To me these are not just words... "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". They are ideals worth fighting and dying for.

You do realize that this thread is not about personal freedom but about technology's future and the impact of current issues, right!

As already posted, wanting is easy, making it happen is another story!

VicoPad addict!

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do realize that this thread is not about personal freedom but about technology's future and the impact of current issues, right!

As already posted, wanting is easy, making it happen is another story!

VicoPad addict!

This thread is about Flash. And its use on Apple iPad. Most people have trouble with Flash, because someone (Steve Jobs, probably), has said no Flash on his product. This is a freedom issue, as far as I am concerned... it is like waving a red flag in the face of a bull. It is a challenge. Steve says you can't do that... I say I bought it, I darn well WILL do it!!

The shape of the future.. whose future? My future is what I make of it. Apple provides the tools (I like Apple tools), I use them the way I want.

Ever since I was little, it was never a good idea to tell me I can't do something. Reverse psychology always worked well on me. :D

Maybe someday Flash will disappear, and Steve will have been proven right. Maybe Flash will evolve into a more mobile friendly tool. Maybe Android will be strong competition for Apple products and force Apple to provide more features that consumers appear to want. Maybe not. I am not willing to wait, I prefer to do what I want NOW.

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pawnslinger said:
This thread is about Flash. And its use on Apple iPad. Most people have trouble with Flash, because someone (Steve Jobs, probably), has said no Flash on his product. This is a freedom issue, as far as I am concerned... it is like waving a red flag in the face of a bull. It is a challenge. Steve says you can't do that... I say I bought it, I darn well WILL do it!!

The shape of the future.. whose future? My future is what I make of it. Apple provides the tools (I like Apple tools), I use them the way I want.

Ever since I was little, it was never a good idea to tell me I can't do something. Reverse psychology always worked well on me. :D

Maybe someday Flash will disappear, and Steve will have been proven right. Maybe Flash will evolve into a more mobile friendly tool. Maybe Android will be strong competition for Apple products and force Apple to provide more features that consumers appear to want. Maybe not. I am not willing to wait, I prefer to do what I want NOW.

I respect that feeling and have no problem with that. I feel the same way about other things in life, just not about the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts