What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is absinthe-win-2.0.4 supposed to do?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I downloaded and followed How To Use Absinthe 2.0 (if you’re unjailbroken) on Greenpois0n.com to install absinthe-win-2.0.4 on my Windows 7 system yesterday. I was expecting to be able to see the iPad file system from iTunes or Windows Explorer on the Windows system after the installation but I didn't. What could I have done wrong?

I have reset all settings on the iPad and then updated the iPad to version 5.1.1 before the installation. The iPad was empty anyway.

Today I read http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ilbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html and presumed the problem was because I didn't install as an administrator. I did it again after erased all content and settings but it didn't make any difference.

The instructions do not say after which step I should configure the iPad and I always do it after the installation. Am I right? I have even restored the iPad after the installation.

I didn't see Step Five, Step Six and Step seven as described on http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ilbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html. By the way, What is springboard in "In a few moments you will notice Cydia appear on your Springboard!"?

What should I do next?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded and followed How To Use Absinthe 2.0 (if you’re unjailbroken) on Greenpois0n.com to install absinthe-win-2.0.4 on my Windows 7 system yesterday. I was expecting to be able to see the iPad file system from iTunes or Windows Explorer on the Windows system after the installation but I didn't. What could I have done wrong?

I have reset all settings on the iPad and then updated the iPad to version 5.1.1 before the installation. The iPad was empty anyway.

Today I read http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ilbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html and presumed the problem was because I didn't install as an administrator. I did it again after erased all content and settings but it didn't make any difference.

The instructions do not say after which step I should configure the iPad and I always do it after the installation. Am I right? I have even restored the iPad after the installation.

I didn't see Step Five, Step Six and Step seven as described on http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ilbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html. By the way, What is springboard in "In a few moments you will notice Cydia appear on your Springboard!"?

What should I do next?

Absinthe 2.0 is to jail break the iPad so you can access the file system on the iPad, not so you can access the iPad's file system using Windows Explorer or iTunes. After the jail break, you can use other programs (iFunbox is a popular choice) to access the iPad's file system - but not the two you mention.

What do you mean by "configure the iPad"? Once the iPad is on iOS 5.1.1 and is connected to your PC, running the Absinthe program should get you the pop-up that's mentioned in the tutorial. You don't need to do any preparation on the iPad, other than having is as close to factory-fresh as possible (which you said you have).

What happens when you run the Absinthe program on your PC? Do you get an error code or does nothing happen?

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am very new to Apple products. Please forgive my ignorance.

I read http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ilbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html again and followed that to install the software again. It got to step six. I waited and waited and I didn't see step seven happen. In other words, I didn't notice Cydia appear on the Springboard. In fact, I don't know what and where the Springboard is. Please advise!

Though I had done a backup before the installation, I didn't do a restore after installation becuase the iPad had nothing more than what came with the operating system. Is my understanding correct?

Last edited:
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From i-FunBox, I see a message of ==Hot Tips== saying "Install "afc2add" from Cydia" and "If iFunbox recognize your newly Jailbroken iPhone/iPad as Jailed". What does the message mean? How can I tell whether the iPad is recognized as jailed?

Is it related to "Cydia App Install" I can see on the left hand side of the iFunBox?

By the way, what does it mean by "an UNTETHERED jailbreak"? Is there a tethered jailbreak?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am very new to Apple products. Please forgive my ignorance.

I read http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ilbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html again and followed that to install the software again. It got to step six. I waited and waited and I didn't see step seven happen. In other words, I didn't notice Cydia appear on the Springboard. In fact, I don't know what and where the Springboard is. Please advise!

Though I had done a backup before the installation, I didn't do a restore after installation becuase the iPad had nothing more than what came with the operating system. Is my understanding correct?

The springboard is the screen (or pages) of your iPad. And, when you didn't see the Cydia icon paper (its a brown box-looking icon), did you (1) search through all the pages on your iPad or (2) do a search through Spotlight? And, did the Absinthe tool tell you the jailbreak was done?

You don't want to do a restore after jail breaking because that will just put the stock iOS back on the iPad. Want you want to do after jail breaking is a "restore from backup," which is an option you get in iTunes when you right click on the iPad line (left side, under Devices).

From i-FunBox, I see a message of ==Hot Tips== saying "Install "afc2add" from Cydia" and "If iFunbox recognize your newly Jailbroken iPhone/iPad as Jailed". What does the message mean? How can I tell whether the iPad is recognized as jailed?

Is it related to "Cydia App Install" I can see on the left hand side of the iFunBox?

By the way, what does it mean by "an UNTETHERED jailbreak"? Is there a tethered jailbreak?

iFunbox really only works on jailbroken iDevices. You can tell your iPad is jail broken if you see a Windows Explorer-like breakdown in the left window of iFunbox. It will contain categories such as "Raw File System" and "Mobile Terminal."

An untethered jail break is the preferred jailbreak (over tether) because it means you can restart or reboot your iPad without having to have it connected to your computer to do so. It makes it more convenient should you be away from your computer and have to restart the iPad...

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought and downloaded an app just now. Then I saw the Cydia icon next to the icon of the app I've just bought. I executed the Cydia icon. I have not seen any difference on the iPad. Neither have I seen any difference on the iFunBox, except the message of hot tips mentioned in the previous post is no longer there.

Do I still need to use the Cydia icon again? I wonder if it is a one-off operation, why hasn't it destroyed itself after its execution?

By the way, what other restore could we have? You seem to suggest there is a restore other than from iTune backup. I don't know how to put the stock iOS back anyway.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought and downloaded an app just now. Then I saw the Cydia icon next to the icon of the app I've just bought. I executed the Cydia icon. I have not seen any difference on the iPad. Neither have I seen any difference on the iFunBox, except the message of hot tips mentioned in the previous post is no longer there.

Do I still need to use the Cydia icon again? I wonder if it is a one-off operation, why hasn't it destroyed itself after its execution?

With that icon there, you definitely are jail broken. And no, Cydia is not a one-off operation. It is the jail breaker's "app store" - a place to download tweaks and such to run on your iPad. See this link for a fuller explanation of what Cydia is: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=67553

If I may be so bold - why do you want to be jail broken? Usually, people jail break their iDevices to get access to Cydia, which allows them to install tweaks to customize or personalize their iPads.

Is there something specific you want to do that a jail break might help with? Knowing that may help us help you in maneuvering around your newly jailbroken iPad.

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I could see the file system of the iPad from iFunBox prior to running Cydia though I had an extra message of the hot tip as mentioned before. So the iPad was already jailbroken before I ran Cydia, wasn't it?

In fact I could see the file system of the iPad from iFunBox before I posted this thread. In other words I could see the file system before I properly installed the jailbreaking software. I read somewhere about iFunBox, the usage of the iFunBox doesn't actually need jailbreaking, does it?

I thank you for your patience for explaining all these.

Last edited:

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Healer,

A tip for you about Cydia. NEVER and I mean NEVER delete Cydia. It's a real PIA to get it back on the ipad other then doing a complete restore and rejailbraking again.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there something specific you want to do that a jail break might help with? Knowing that may help us help you in maneuvering around your newly jailbroken iPad.

I just want to be able to access the file system of the iPad so that I can transfer files over from my Windows system to iPad without using the Internet connection because my Internet connection data quota is very limited. I remember I could see the iPad from Windows Explorer before I used iTunes to connect to the iPad. As soon as I did the backup and synchronization I could no longer see and access the iPad.

For example I bought and downloaded the HTML Presenter today hoping that I can view a web site stored locally on the iPad. The web site or the catalogue has only HTML and JavaScript code. The user guide says I need to connect to DropBox to get the files over. In order to minimize the data download/upload usage I dragged the ZIP file of the website from Windows Explorer over to the directory under the app HTML Presenter in iFunBox. However, I still can't see it on the iPad when I run the HTML Presenter.

If it comes to the worst then I have to use the Internet connection. However I do want to avoid it. The first problem I have is I don't know which directory I should put it in. From the user guide I believe I am supposed to create a directory for the file, but iFunBox doesn't seem to allow to create a directory.

Failing this, I would have no need of the jailbreaking software.

Last edited:
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A tip for you about Cydia. NEVER and I mean NEVER delete Cydia. It's a real PIA to get it back on the ipad other then doing a complete restore and rejailbraking again.

Thanks for the advice!

I am really a novice. I wouldn't know how to delete the icon from the iPad. BTW, what is PIA?

Most reactions