What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Gray Aligned dots when turning on and unresponsive screen

BduBdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quite recently, my iPad crashed (strip of screen unresponsive and so was the rest of it and an unusual color)
I turned it off with the home-button and the power-button combo). I turned it on the same way
Then the screen was black the entire time until there was a gray line in the middle, then a second at the top, after awhile, i could see white dots arranged in a row/column pattern. The screen went brighter and brighter until it was just white. The screen being unresponsive the entire time.
Can Anyone help with this situation?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That doesn't sound too good, but it's not clear from what you said whether you did a hard reset, which actually might help. You hold down the Home and On/Off buttons until you see the Apple logo (about 10 seconds) and the let go. The iPad should then restart.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing you should do, if there's an Apple Store near enough to visit. is to take the iPad in for a Genius Bar appointment. They can give you a free diagnostic and tell you what's causing the problem. If your iPad is out of warranty and the fault is hardware related, they'll quote a repair cost.
Before taking the iPad in, back it up just before you go, that way you'll be able to restore from the backup if apple has to erase your iPad.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Quite recently, my iPad crashed ......
I turned it off with the home-button and the power-button combo). I turned it on the same way
Then the screen was black the entire time until there was a gray line in the middle, then a second at the top, after awhile, i could see white dots arranged in a row/column pattern. The screen went brighter and brighter until it was just white. The screen being unresponsive the entire time.

Agree w/ the others - make sure that you did the 'Reset' properly, as already explained. Also, was there any recent damage (like a drop) or a liquid spill - just wanting 'all the facts' - if the reset does not work, then as suggested by SciFan.., you'll need a diagnostic assessment. Hope that you have a recent backup - does not sound like you can do one at this point? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
B

BduBdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions.
Although i cant back it up and that is the problem

OP
B

BduBdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A restart did not help as it still showed the arrangement.
That doesn't sound too good, but it's not clear from what you said whether you did a hard reset, which actually might help. You hold down the Home and On/Off buttons until you see the Apple logo (about 10 seconds) and the let go. The iPad should then restart.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfornunately not
Unfortunately, it then looks like you'll end up losing everything on the iPad if it's restored during the diagnostic process. Even if you don't have the diagnostic done, it looks like you have no way of accessing the data on your iPad.

Most reactions