What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using 2 Ipads or Multiple Devices on iTunes with Different contents

L

Lunar

MODS. Can you please delete this thread. Thanks.

As some of us now have possible 2 iPads or perhaps a Iphone and iPads etc when using iTunes I have a couple of questions, which perhaps someone who is more conversant with iTunes, can possibly enlighten me a little.

I have one account with iTunes, and everything is currently stored in one library on my Data Hard drive, my wife has a iPad1 and I'm now using a iPad3 both are 64gb 3G models, so tend to have lots of films on there as well, in effect keeping my fav films on it for when we go away etc. and occasionally at home.

Currently both iPads have exactly the same apps and films on them. When I use a particular iPad it obviously pops up with the devices name, one being named iPad-1 and the other iPad-3, the same library being used for both.

I assume, one would need a totally different account if one desired to have totally different libraries. ?

IOW lets say, my wife wanted her own type of apps, her choice of music, and her own favourite films etc and anything else for that matter, am I right in thinking the only way to achieve that would be to have 2 totally separate iTune libraries installed on my hard-drive, maybe needing 2 different accounts ?

I've noticed, one can selectively tick or untick items from the backup iTunes library on the hard-drive and it will remember those settings between devices, but the whole library contents are obviously always shown on both... I'm thinking one would have to have 2 totally different libraries, to avoid that. ie. each device having it's own library.

Can any of you iTunes experts clarify a little on this ? I confess, though quite technical, I'm certainly no expert when it comes to iTunes..lol, so any clarification, regarding having different stuff installed on different devices would be much appreciated.. please enlighten me...lol

My apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere on the forum. :) which it likely has.. I've just not found it.. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
There is abolutely no requirement for different libraries or itunes accounts. You've already answered your question in your post, just setup different sync settings on each device.

Your itunes library on your Pc/Mac is your master copy and contains everything, each ios device just has a subset (or all of it) of this library.

OP
L

Lunar

Thank you for your assistance, So basically there is no way other that 2 different installs to avoid having the full library contents showing up on each device, even if that device may only be using a few items from the library.

I suspose I'm thinking along the lines of say MS Windows, where when each user logs in, they only see their own personalised settings and installs ect.

Whereas iTunes always shows everything in the main library, whether the device uses it or not, but I think you have confirmed what I was already thinking..lol

So in effect there's no way to prevent iTunes from displaying everything in the main library, even when most of the stuff being displayed is not even installed on a particular device.

Would have been better I think, if just the contents of the particular device connected appeared on the screen, and maybe had option to add more from the main library if required.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You see what's on each device, by selecting it under devices when connected to iTunes. Frankly I cannot understand your concern, you are overthinking it.

OP
L

Lunar

You see what's on each device, by selecting it under devices when connected to iTunes. Frankly I cannot understand your concern, you are overthinking it.

Your absolutely right, brain seems to have got a bit muddled there.. I forgot for some reason that the contents of the individual device is shown when you actually click on the device.. brainstorm I think.. think I'm going stupid in my old age..lol

Sorry to bother you matey, and apologies for my stupidity.

NOTE to Mod. This thread can be erased.

Most reactions

Latest posts