What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you seperate device libraries with iTunes?

Apple4BirdNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backup 2 iPhones, 2 iPods and an iPad onto an iMac. To prevent cross-over of the apps, songs, pics and such I have setup seperate user logins for each family memeber. Since I own two mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) I want to keep their content seperate, but when I sync with iTunes they merge. It was a easy enough to delete what I did not want, but what a pain to have to do that each time I sync. Is there a way to create seperate content libraries for each device on iTunes? If so, how do you select which library to use?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am surprised that it merges like that. I own an iPod touch and an iPad 2 using the same Apple ID for both. When I do wireless or direct wire connects to iTunes, it recognizes which device is connected and syncs what I have pre-programmed it to do. I have never had the issue of it merging together, unless I ask it to do so.

OP
A

Apple4BirdNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same issue with my kids iPods and because of that I setup a user id for each of them. My son hates his sister's taste in music so merging is a real issue there. lol

I would have thought that iTunes would have detected which device is being sync'd and seperated the two content libraries, but it did not. Since I am the only one with two mobile devices the individual user id doesn't work for me. I don't want to create another user id just for backing up my iPad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By chance do you have your iPad or iPhone or both set for automatic downloads?

So when you get an app on your iPad, does It show up your iPhone? You can turn that off one of your devices to see if that will do the trick.

OP
A

Apple4BirdNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I do. I'll turn off that feature. Thanks!

I found this on Apple's website on how to setup multiple iTunes libraries and how to pick between them. I'll give this a try when I get home.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, that may definitely work as well. Let us know your outcome, since this is a question that is often brought up.

OP
A

Apple4BirdNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got home tonight and gave Apple's solution a try for creating multiple iTunes libraries. It worked as described. One note, you must select your library before you do a sync session.

Here is the link again to the Apple website for creating multiple iTunes libraries. Click Here For Link

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's great that you were able to get that sorted!! We like to hear that!

Also, with you turning off the automatic download in your settings for the App store that will also contain what is in each device!!

Good job-enjoy your iPad!!

Most reactions