What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 4.2 beta without registered UDID

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'll keep working on 3.2 downgrade, but it's on a pretty tight lockdown. i have a feeling though that 4.2 public will come soon and immediately following the announcement will be jb day and for a4 chip idevices, this will be jb forever day. it'll be like christmas.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm happy with 4.2 beta. i had 4.0 on iphone for a while. i really really like the integration of pandora. that's one of my favorite features. the multitasking is cool, but proswitcher is much more intuitive. can't wait til jailbreak day and then i can change some activations around to make the ipad more personal and user friendly. i haven't set up my printer yet, but the buttons are there for those that want it. folders is pretty stupid to me, but i guess there may be people out there that have hundreds of apps, and i think ios 4 can handle like 1200 or something like that with folders. but yeah, netflix is still running great as well as all my other apps.

I have a printer on my network that works fine with any printing apps in the app store, but it's not recognized by the iPad print button. Is there'd something that needs to be setup to get it to work?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh BTW, thanks for the opt+Check for Update trick! That did it and I didn't have to wait forever for it to restore everything too! Bonus! I wonder if that would work for downgrading too?

For DownGrade , i did it like (my one i do differently but not simple) this to an iPad of a friend want to also try ….
i locate the original firmware in my mac : /Users/YourName/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates/iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw

reset my iPad put it in DFU mode (google it)

and them exactly like the update and work fine no hassle or heart attack to brick the devices

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ipadone. i was thinking about your email problems... do you use an exchange account? there is well known and many documented cases of some versions of micro$loth exchange not playing well with any version of ios4 on ipt, iphone, or, now ipad. i have two exchange accounts, one is an older version of exchange which runs perfectly well on ios4, but another exchange is more current and doesn't play well with ios4, you have to bypass the exchange/push stuff and just set up IMAP till there is a fix. again, this has been a well known problem with all versions of ios4, not just the 4.2 beta. in fact, i had similar problems with 3.2.2, but on my iphone 3g on 3.1.2 it plays well with exchange.

No is not email related to M$ email one is in Imap and the second is in POP3 … i agree with what you say just before depend on the perception , but also on how you use your iPad , for us is working tool and testing device … so we can’t have buggy OS as this will affect our judgement of the problem, so is better to stay in stable version (even the official release have some also some small bugs)

it’s Sad because many nice functions, i can live without until the offical will come out

Last comment is pretty easy to try and downgrade, so for all want to have a taste or maybe can accept some bug just do it … don’t hesitate no risk at all to brick the device

OP
C

cmstuber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a beta 10.6.5 out there, from what I've read there are no current bugs, it's just a pre-release for those devs that pay apple for them.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are your instructions also for windows?? option-click the UPDATE??

because my update button is greyed-out

Hi i don’t know well in Window as i am Mac user, but for the one in Mac is :

first and press alt (option) and then press UPDATE in iTunes so you will see a window pop up (if you don’t see a window pop up close your itunes unplug your device and restart the process) and them localize your firmware and let iTunes do the rest for you :) for downgrade is exactly the same …

if you got some warning at the end don’t panic just go [URL="http://joshuabailey1997.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/recboot-v1-3/“]there for window user [/URL] or [URL="http://www.sebby.net/443-recboot-final-release/“]there for mac user [/URL] use the magic tool for wake up your precious and voila

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is safe to update on beta2?
It is still a beta release so there is still a very likely possibility that there could be some issues that need to be resolved before the final release in November. Installing beta software is done at your own risk!

young blade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are your instructions also for windows?? option-click the UPDATE??

because my update button is greyed-out

Hi i don’t know well in Window as i am Mac user, but for the one in Mac is :

first and press alt (option) and then press UPDATE in iTunes so you will see a window pop up (if you don’t see a window pop up close your itunes unplug your device and restart the process) and them localize your firmware and let iTunes do the rest for you :) for downgrade is exactly the same …

if you got some warning at the end don’t panic just go [URL="http://joshuabailey1997.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/recboot-v1-3/“]there for window user [/URL] or [URL="http://www.sebby.net/443-recboot-final-release/“]there for mac user [/URL] use the magic tool for wake up your precious and voila

I did it... in windows its shift + update... and you have to be precise...

Most reactions

Latest posts