What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unresponsive screen and back up documents saved on my iPad

Peachy Lane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new iPad Pro 12.9’s screen is often unresponsive. I can’t swipe up or type. Sometimes it ‘unfreezes’ but mostly I give up and restart it. I took it to the Genius Bar and they wiped it and reinstalled as they said it must be a software issue. Before they did it of course they asked if I’d backed it up. I save quite a lot to ‘My iPad’ as some of it has sensitive information like people’s names and addresses, telephone numbers etc. So before they did the wipe and reinstall I said does it back up the documents in files on the iPad. She looked at what I had set to to back up and excel, word, and Procreate (my favourite art app) were set to backup so she said yes that’s ok. Luckily I had emailed my most important excel docs to myself so at least I didn’t lose that work! But all my other stuff has gone. It’s done and that is that. I’m not asking how to get them back but I am asking how to make sure that when I have to do a back up like that again it will include my art and other documents as I’m going to have to take it back again because it’s still playing up.

OP
Peachy Lane

Peachy Lane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do need to make sure your Apps are toggled ON under iCloud settings and make sure you tap Backup Now under the Backup setting before you take it to the Store.

I did! And she checked.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also backup the iPad to iTunes on your computer. Restoring from an iTunes backup generally takes less time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another option is to make sure you are saving your Microsoft documents to OneDrive and not the local storage. Then the documents will be available via other computers or the internet.

Of course, you did say some of the info is sensitive. While Microsoft’s OneDrive is reasonably secure, you may not choose to use it. iCloud Drive is at least as secure as OneDrive, so it’s another option. I guess it depends on whether you feel the data is too sensitive for even secure cloud services.

When iPadOS comes out this Fall you’ll be able to use USB flash drives (or other media) to manually backup your sensitive data. Of course that creates a whole different slew of issues around the physical security for your drives.

OP
Peachy Lane

Peachy Lane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another option is to make sure you are saving your Microsoft documents to OneDrive and not the local storage. Then the documents will be available via other computers or the internet.

Of course, you did say some of the info is sensitive. While Microsoft’s OneDrive is reasonably secure, you may not choose to use it. iCloud Drive is at least as secure as OneDrive, so it’s another option. I guess it depends on whether you feel the data is too sensitive for even secure cloud services.

When iPadOS comes out this Fall you’ll be able to use USB flash drives (or other media) to manually backup your sensitive data. Of course that creates a whole different slew of issues around the physical security for your drives.

Thank you so much for that information. Really interested to hear about the usb flash drives!

I don’t have a pc of any sort any more so iTunes isn’t an option I’m afraid.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I upload art to my PC via iCloud for Windows . And drag the files into both my externalHDD, and a USB drive that I can take to any print dept. to run photo prints from. I can easily copy, or drag and drop files back to my iPad if I want them there again. I have also done this with a couple of short videos I wanted to send to friends via windows.

OP
Peachy Lane

Peachy Lane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upload art to my PC via iCloud for Windows . And drag the files into both my externalHDD, and a USB drive that I can take to any print dept. to run photo prints from. I can easily copy, or drag and drop files back to my iPad if I want them there again. I have also done this with a couple of short videos I wanted to send to friends via windows.
I think I will definitely get myself an USB for my iPad. Have one for my iPhone but of course it has the wrong connector.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I just have a standard USB that I plug into my USB hub on the PC to move items in/out using the PC and iCloud combo as the "middleman"..... However..... I have seen a flash drive that has a lightning connector on one end, and a USB on the other (Kingston makes one). I may break down and try one, especially after the iPad OS comes out.

OP
Peachy Lane

Peachy Lane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just have a standard USB that I plug into my USB hub on the PC to move items in/out using the PC and iCloud combo as the "middleman"..... However..... I have seen a flash drive that has a lightning connector on one end, and a USB on the other (Kingston makes one). I may break down and try one, especially after the iPad OS comes out.

Yes I have a usb with a lightening connector. Will have to get one with the C connector that the IPad Pro can use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot the Pro has a USB-C ! Bet those exist too....

Amazon has two or three different flash drives with three (four) ports: USB C, Lighting, USB 3, and (micro-USB). The four port one should be usable on just about any device once iPadOS is out. I’ll probably get one of those, though they are a bit bulkier than a typical USB flash drive.

Most reactions