What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

backing up ipad

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
this was touched on in another current thread...

i weekly back up, via itunes, my 'purchases' and general ipad back up.

this general ipad backup - i know it saves app settings and so forth, but does it also save files, like excel and word files i use in my office apps? or just app info on its own?

thanks

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score

this general ipad backup - i know it saves app settings and so forth, but does it also save files, like excel and word files i use in my office apps? or just app info on its own?

thanks

I changed my backup folder in the advanced section of preferences. On a regular basis, I backup that folder on an external hard drive. You never know when a crash might occur.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backup

thanks

No, not unless you tell it to! If I remember correctly you have Pages? As well as the Excel and PP Ipad equivilants.

From within itunes (I'm using pages as an example here, but the format is pretty much the same for other apps that will transfer documents to and from Ipad and pc)

1) Do your normal sync

2) When finshed, leave the ipad connected to the PC or Mac, and put it in normal On mode

3) Start Pages on your Ipad

4) Select a document from the my documents area of pages

5) Bottom of the screen, tap the right facing arrow icon (first one at the bottom of the screenI

6) Choose "Send to Itunes)

This will work in much the same way for the Pages Numbers family of apps

Hope it helps:)

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
thanks Jeff.

no, i dont use pages, i use office2hd. but i also use numerous art packages too, so if i cant find an auto backup like i'd hoped it'll be the long manual method.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might Be A Way

thanks Jeff.

no, i dont use pages, i use office2hd. but i also use numerous art packages too, so if i cant find an auto backup like i'd hoped it'll be the long manual method.

In office HD, I have not bought it yet, so can't advise, but I've got a feeling it you will have to tell itunes, because itunes is inherently stupid :)

I have 7 apps that require syncing and not one of them will do so without being told, Amplitube, Pages, Numbers etc. You have to tell it...If you find a way around this please share!:D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad: About backups

Expand the about section, and there is another section to expand that has a fairly comprehensive list of what is backed up.

Hold in mind that iTunes only keeps one backup of each device, and it gets overwritten every time you sync. It is a good idea to make sure your normal cumputer backups include this file. You do back up your computer, yes?

Tha backup file locations are also listed in the support document.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumour Is True Then?

iPad: About backups

Expand the about section, and there is another section to expand that has a fairly comprehensive list of what is backed up.

Hold in mind that iTunes only keeps one backup of each device, and it gets overwritten every time you sync. It is a good idea to make sure your normal cumputer backups include this file. You do back up your computer, yes?

Tha backup file locations are also listed in the support document.

You DID write Itunes? :) I still have to manually sync stuff from most apps though, but I prefer that to overwriting a document or file I have forgotten to rename.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
heh, no. :eek:

This kind of detail I didn't learn until I came here; either someone else posted it first, or I stumbled on it trying to help someone solve a problem.

I've never had enough problems with iTunes to make me dig this deep.

As for backing up or manually syncing your app files, that's a really good idea. The iTunes restore is an all or nothing deal; a bit extreme to recover one or two lost files.

Addendum: Though I did see an article the other day that described a program that would recover your saved pictures from a backup file. I'm pretty sure I bookmarked it. I hope I did.

Last edited:
OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
thanks Jeff.

In office HD, I have not bought it yet, so can't advise, but I've got a feeling it you will have to tell itunes, because itunes is inherently stupid :)

I have 7 apps that require syncing and not one of them will do so without being told, Amplitube, Pages, Numbers etc. You have to tell it...If you find a way around this please share!:D

thanks guys.

no, looks like i need to individually back up my own data. cant find any other way :(

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
thanks guys.

no, looks like i need to individually back up my own data. cant find any other way :(

Yep, I can't either, it's something you just get used to....wouldn't have been so bad this morning apart from 4 big app updates as well, and it's raining in Llandaff....:)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I regularly back up my itunes library to an external hard drive in case my computer crashes but I would also like to back up my back up! If I go into itunes, I see the date of the latest back up but when I look in computer for back up files under Appdata etc, I see older dates for back up...not the latest back up. Any advice on why this is so that I can save those files to external drive too, please? How can I change the location of back ups on my computer? I cannot see how under Preferences, Advanced in itunes, where it seems I can only change where the itunes library is saved. Advice would be much appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, what am I missing here? When I backup my iPad with iTunes as normal, then completely restore fresh IOS my iPad, and restore my backup, I get EVERYTHING back. Apps, settings, AND documents. Everything. The iPad is no different from when I started.
Have I misunderstood what you were asking about?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Sorry, what am I missing here? When I backup my iPad with iTunes as normal, then completely restore fresh IOS my iPad, and restore my backup, I get EVERYTHING back. Apps, settings, AND documents. Everything. The iPad is no different from when I started.
Have I misunderstood what you were asking about?

I think the confusion has arisen from the fact that we were originally talking about copying files from ipad apps such as Pages, Office Hd etc. To do it you have to open the app on the iPad, and then send the files from the app to iTunes. We were trying to find a way of doing this without having to open the app in question, but came to the conclusion that manually was the only way.

I use Amplitube, Pages, GoodReader and a few others, but have always selected the files and then sent them to iTunes. So I guess it was more of a transfer issue rather than backup!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions