What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tutorial: Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe Using Windows and the CLI Tool

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE: It figures - I get this up and "they" release the GUI version for windows! :D So, to make life easier on everyone - go here to get the GUI application: http://t.co/8AkxiBqG

Happy jailbreaking and tweaking! And - please, donate to the "Dream Team"! What an awesome thing they've done for us all!

And, I believe I'll leave this up for a bit...hate to think I did all this typing for nothing. Snicker. :p

This is a quick, down-and-dirty guide to install the Absinthe jail break on your iPad2 for those of you running a Windows machine. If you don’t want to wait until the release of the GUI interface, this is for you. Note that this does take a bit of knowledge in using the command line in a Windows computer. Read through this a couple of times and if you’re not sure - then, please, wait for the GUI to be released by the “Dream Team.†Else - read on!

Oh, and sorry I don’t have pretty pictures - kind of boring taking shots of a Windows terminal! :D

Preparation Notes:

- Do a full backup before you start - you may have an error that will force you to restore your device.

- Have your iPad on, unlocked (no passcode set), plugged in - and iTunes NOT running:

- Download the file from here, Dev-Team Blog, unzip it to wherever you wish (just remember where you put it). The file is buried on the Dev Team’s blog under the updates at the bottom (version 0.4.3) - just click on the word here in this sentance: "The OS X version of the CLI mentioned in the post can be downloaded here."

Jailbreaking

1. On your Windows computer, open cmd.exe (easiest way is to click on the Start button, type cmd.exe in the search box and hit enter). A terminal box will open. On my system, my terminal automatically opens to C:\Users\Marilyn@Home>

Use the change directory command (cd) to navigate to wherever you put the cinject folder. In my case, I put it into my Downloads folder, so my command line (what I typed) was: cd Downloads\cinject_0.4.3 [press the ENTER button]

2. Now type cinject.exe -i payloads\jailbreak.mobileconfig [ENTER]

This will set your iPad up to load the jail break payload. On your iPad, you should see a pop-up appear with a button titled “Install.†Press the button … and that’s the only thing you’ll do on the iPad. Please leave the password blank and just press Next. Once you get a screen showing a Settings-like icon, go back to the Windows terminal.

3. At the Windows terminal, now type cinject.exe -j payloads [ENTER]

A whole bunch of text and such will scroll in your terminal window. Pay no attention - but do make sure your iPad does not go to sleep during this process; it will interrupt the jail break if it sleeps. Eventually, you will see the line “creating backup…†Once the jail break has completed the backup, you will see this line “Please toggle VPN on and watch syslog for “pod2g is in da house!â€

4. Then type cinject.exe -w [ENTER]

Again, in your terminal window, a lot of scrolling text will appear. It may appear to hang up or pause, but that happened several times to me. You’ll know you’re at the end when you see a message similar to “profiled: Service stopping."

5. After you see that line, open up your Settings on the iPad (if it’s not still open) and slide the VPN slider on the menu to ON.

The iPad will reboot and when it comes back, you'll have the Cydia icon on one of your Springboard pages. Go to Cydia and it will load all the packages and repos. It will automatically close after this process; merely go back in after it closes. For 99% of the people, select “User†at the prompt when you re-enter Cydia (this can be changed later, should you wish).

And - that’s it!

Happy Cydia tweak loading and jail break enjoyment! :D

Marilyn

P.S. Please post any success stories or if you need assistance

P.P.S. Some error notes:

* If you get the error FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (1266): got == sizeof(size)
after running the “cinject.exe -j payloads†command - reset your iPad to factory settings (either via the Settings app [Settings > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings] or iTunes) and start the process again.

* If you get a send 1: Result too large error, unplugging the ipad and trying another usb port might fix the error. Else, do the restore…

* If you get any [other] error - restore the iPad to a “fresh†iOS 5.0.1 and start the process from the beginning (you will be able to “restore from backup†once you’ve completed the jail break, so, for this process, set your fresh iOS 5 install up “as newâ€)

NOTE: Some people did/do not press the “Install†button on the iPad and the process worked fine for them without it by just using the Windows terminal commands. This didn’t work for me - but it may for you. I think it all depends on your Windows system…

Last edited:

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was so determined to maintain my dignity and WAIT patiently for the windows gui version of absinthe... but then you posted this tute and now I'm jailbroken again... woohoo!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was so determined to maintain my dignity and WAIT patiently for the windows gui version of absinthe... but then you posted this tute and now I'm jailbroken again... woohoo!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

And now the Windows GUI is out! LOL.

Always good to do it the "geek way" though! :D

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why, shucks - twern't nuthin'! But, thanks for the nice comments.

And, look how quickly this tutorial got replaced with the GUI that makes life easier!

Oh well. If I wasn't so busy "playing" with my new jail break, I'd've got this out earlier. C'est la guerre! :D

Marilyn

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK... so I had a problem with xBackup restoring tweaks broken under 501... so I restored and used the windows GUI tool... it took AGES!

Then for ****s and giggles (and because apple is signing 501!) and just for fun(?), I did a factory restore and JB'd again with the CLI.... 2mins & 52secs from start to having Cydia up and running!

Most reactions

Latest posts