What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to decide iPad2 or not?

Chtidio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used an apple product before. I was certain I would be purchasing the Galaxy 10.1 today, until I went to the store last night and saw both that and the iPad2 and now I am totally confused. The store clerk was not helpful, either - "if it's just for looking at pictures and listening to music, go with the iPad2, but if you want to use it for business, then get the Galaxy" Huh?

I searched this forum and learned a lot about it, but there are a couple of things that are still not clear, whether the iPad2 supports or not, before I become an Apple customer. Sorry if these sound trivial, and if you think the info is somewhere on-line, just point me to it, I don't mind doing the reading and finding out. (BTW, Shouldn't a lot of this info be on the product manufacturer's page, instead of just marketing fluff?)

- Don't need a data service contract, but I do need GPS. Would the wi-fi model suffice, or should I get the wi-fi/3G model and a maps program and just not activate a 3G contract?

- Whether I get the 16,32, or 64 Gb I need to be able to access data on an external USF flash or usb HD drive. I've seen posts about the usb adapter from Apple allowing one to retrieve "pictures" from a usb flash drive, but I need to access more than pictures. Is there possibly a different adapter I can purchase, or something that would allow me to do that, *without* having to jailbreak the iPad2?

- I know that the iPad2 is NOT a replacement for a computer, but I need some basic "office" functionality on it (view a docx file, compose a quick word document, put final touches on a power point presentation I may have created in MS-Office, etc.) Will I be able to do these things?

Once again, sorry if my questions sound mundane, but for the first time I am seriously considering an apple device and don't know anything about them - I just want to make sure.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used an apple product before. I was certain I would be purchasing the Galaxy 10.1 today, until I went to the store last night and saw both that and the iPad2 and now I am totally confused. The store clerk was not helpful, either - "if it's just for looking at pictures and listening to music, go with the iPad2, but if you want to use it for business, then get the Galaxy" Huh?

I searched this forum and learned a lot about it, but there are a couple of things that are still not clear, whether the iPad2 supports or not, before I become an Apple customer. Sorry if these sound trivial, and if you think the info is somewhere on-line, just point me to it, I don't mind doing the reading and finding out. (BTW, Shouldn't a lot of this info be on the product manufacturer's page, instead of just marketing fluff?)

- Don't need a data service contract, but I do need GPS. Would the wi-fi model suffice, or should I get the wi-fi/3G model and a maps program and just not activate a 3G contract?

- Whether I get the 16,32, or 64 Gb I need to be able to access data on an external USF flash or usb HD drive. I've seen posts about the usb adapter from Apple allowing one to retrieve "pictures" from a usb flash drive, but I need to access more than pictures. Is there possibly a different adapter I can purchase, or something that would allow me to do that, *without* having to jailbreak the iPad2?

- I know that the iPad2 is NOT a replacement for a computer, but I need some basic "office" functionality on it (view a docx file, compose a quick word document, put final touches on a power point presentation I may have created in MS-Office, etc.) Will I be able to do these things?

Once again, sorry if my questions sound mundane, but for the first time I am seriously considering an apple device and don't know anything about them - I just want to make sure.

Welcome to the Forum...I'll try to answer some of your questions - I'm sure other Members will help too.

Only the 3G iPad has the GPS chipset because some of the GPS functionality is shared with the same chip that provides 3G. So the WiFi only model does not have GPS. If you have the 3G model, there is no need to activate 3G to use GPS.

On a non-jail broken iPad you cannot access anything other than pictures using the camera connection kit...

One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Appears that Tim has addressed most of your questions and concerns; I'm fairly new to the iPad2 (although an iPod Touch owner for over a year, so quite similar interface).

I bought the 32 GB Wi-Fi only model - already own a GPS device and did not want a 3G service plan - as to the amount of memory desired, I choose the middle option - my music is on the iPod, so no need to duplicate it on the iPad; plus, I'm not planning to load a lot of video on the iPad - thus if you're not wanting to put LOTS of music/video files on the device then let that help you decide. Keep in mind that extra memory cannot to added via USB thumb drives, SD cards, etc.

Now the Wi-Fi has a crude positioning system that relies on contact w/ several active Wi-Fi hotspots (if you are in range!) - uses triangulation; however, if you need precise positioning information (like using the device for driving), then a GPS will be needed as already mentioned - more information HERE.

Finally, the iWorks apps are quite good (I'm using Keynote & Pages) - certainly not as powerful as their MS equivalents; keep in mind that there are plenty of ways to transfer files into the iPad w/o the use of external drives, cards, or others. Also, if you plan to do a LOT of note & document writing on the iPad, you will likely want a physical keyboard - I have the BT Apple one but many other stand alone & cover integrated options exits.

Good luck in your choice(s) - :)

Reaction score
Galaxy can read documents out of the box of pdf and Office. For writing Office type documents, both devices need apps.
Galaxy requires a USB adaptor ($20) to read more than pictures but can transfer many formats of media with it.
Though others will disagree the ability to use Flash native on the Galaxy has it's benefits for many Flash written sites that don't involve videos. The ipad has work around browsers that are hit and miss.
Honestly either is a good choice but Android has a much better multi task ability than ios. If you don't need several things running, not sitting idle but actually running, that will be no big deal
The Galaxy has both cell tower assisted GPS and standalone out of the box. If you get a 3g ipad you don't have to activate a data plan unless getting a contract price break, iow stores like Target and Best Buy don't require a data plan, it's pre pay paygo.
Hope that helps.
Welcome to the forum

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

GadgetGeek71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...but if you want to use it for business, then get the Galaxy"..

I use my iPad2 daily at work. I use it for forecasting, scheduling and note taking. I even modify various schematics (PDF) with GoodReader. I'm not sure why the salesperson told you to go with the Galaxy for business purposes and ignored the iPad's capabilities.

OP
C

Chtidio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...but if you want to use it for business, then get the Galaxy"..

I use my iPad2 daily at work. I use it for forecasting, scheduling and note taking. I even modify various schematics (PDF) with GoodReader. I'm not sure why the salesperson told you to go with the Galaxy for business purposes and ignored the iPad's capabilities.

Thank you and everyone else who has responded. The information here and having spent 10+ reading and following all sorts of discussions on-line has taught me alot about these new devices.

I think the iPAD looks and feels better, but I am also seeing why the salesperson made the comment they made. I have no doubt that you do all these wonderful things on your iPAD on a daily basis. I thought of a fairly simple task that I need to perform and when I searched on-line on how to do it, I was taken aback by the absense of a simplistic iPAD solution.

We have many PDF files being updated on our file server (at the office). Each file is 20-30 Mb and I need to look at 4-5 of them each day. I thought the iPAD2 would be a great tool for that. Nice inexpensive apps for PDFs in the Apple store (Fast PDF), great! One slight problem, how to get the files to it from our file server. Can't log on to the domain to transfer them, through wi-fi, without asking IT to do all sorts of mods on the server, can't just place them on a flash USB drive and transfer them that way (that would be ideal)... I could get GoodReader and then use Itunes to transfer them, and hope that they would transfer since the format is supported on the iPAD. Or I could use dropbox and have my files on someone else's server (my boss wouldn't be keen on that), or...

It could be that I am just too thick to understand, but why should such a simple task of grabing a file from a Windows file server so I can read it on teh iPAD2, be so difficult? It doesn't make sense. Now, if all I wanted was to transfer pictures of videos, to the iPAD, the process would be a snap. Which brings us to the comment the salesperson made!

I don't know that the equivalent process on the Galaxy would be simpler, now I have to go spend a few hours reading on that. But, based on what I've seen so far, I am not holding my breath :-( It could be that I am simply looking at the wrong tools, and I should stick to my laptop for doing work, and get a tab for fun things, I don't know.

Not ready to give up yet, and if someone indeed has a simple solution to the simple task I have, I am more than willing to take another look, because I like the looks and feel of the iPAD2 (out of all the tabs I looked at). But it I cant' get simple things liek that done without extra effort, I cringe at what I may have to go through to do any complicated work with one of these new toys :-(

OP
C

Chtidio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Galaxy can read documents out of the box of pdf and Office. For writing Office type documents, both devices need apps....

Thanks, but as I read more on these devices I realize that I may have to stick to my laptop for *real* work I need to do, for a while, yet :-(

Some tasks may be easier on teh Galaxy than the iPAD, as you described, but unless I am totally missing something here, transferring data and accessing data from Windows networks is still a tricky task :-(

One thing I can not emphasize enough, is how much I have learned from teh on-line community in the past couple of days. Didn't help me decide what to do, but I feel I have a better understanding of these devices (I think <g>).

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have many PDF files being updated on our file server (at the office). Each file is 20-30 Mb and I need to look at 4-5 of them each day. ...
It could be that I am just too thick to understand, but why should such a simple task of grabing a file from a Windows file server so I can read it on teh iPAD2, be so difficult? It doesn't make sense. Now, if all I wanted was to transfer pictures of videos, to the iPAD, the process would be a snap. Which brings us to the comment the salesperson made!

I don't know that the equivalent process on the Galaxy would be simpler, now I have to go spend a few hours reading on that. But, based on what I've seen so far, I am not holding my breath :-( It could be that I am simply looking at the wrong tools, and I should stick to my laptop for doing work, and get a tab for fun things, I don't know.

No, you're not being thick. Apple does a wonderful job of simplifying the user experience in their interface. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of some of their other decisions.

As you point out, the functionality required to access a set of files on a flash drive would be a simple, elegant solution to your problem. That, however, would run counter to Apple's philosophy that (a) you shouldn't be looking at files; your apps should handle that, and (b) USB connectivity is so old fashioned compared to the (not available for the iPad) delights of Apple's new proprietary physical connection. (Thunderbird, Thunderclap, I can't recall.)

The Galaxy handles your problem (apparently with an adapter.) Other tablets, e.g. the about to be released ThinkPad Tablet, handles the problem without an adapter.

BTW, I'll just share one caution with you. I've tested various PDF reader/annotation solutions on the iPad. While several options work quite well depending on requirements, it's worth noting that while reading poses few challenges, annotation can be very challenging on such a small screen. Keep it in mind if you need that capability.

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe look in to the Toshiba Thrive? full size usb, mini usb, full size hdmi and full size SD card slot running android 3.1.

OP
C

Chtidio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I'll just share one caution with you. I've tested various PDF reader/annotation solutions on the iPad. While several options work quite well depending on requirements, it's worth noting that while reading poses few challenges, annotation can be very challenging on such a small screen. Keep it in mind if you need that capability.

Thanks for the heads up. Like I said in my previous message, if nothing else, I am finding out how helpful this community is.

I may still end up getting an iPAD, at least if I do, I will not do it for the wrong reasons and still do most of my real work on my laptop :)

Or, may be what I should do is see f I can purchase a used original iPAD (I am certain I can find someone who is itching to replace theirs with an iPAD2) and at least see what all these users mean by the "iPAD experience" :)

talktofrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for any sort of viewing or anything like that i would wait for the iPad 3, its screen is going to be amazing - iPad 3 likely to get FULL HD displays! | iPad 3 Release Date. It looks almost certain these screen are going to come with it.

I think most tablets will handle email and basic office programs. A tablet should be something small, lightweight and portable, the ipad 2 compared to the Thrive is a lot less bulkier imo.

Ive decided to wait for the iPad 3, i will use mine mostly for image and video viewing so i want the HD screen

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up. Like I said in my previous message, if nothing else, I am finding out how helpful this community is.

I may still end up getting an iPAD, at least if I do, I will not do it for the wrong reasons and still do most of my real work on my laptop :)

Or, may be what I should do is see f I can purchase a used original iPAD (I am certain I can find someone who is itching to replace theirs with an iPAD2) and at least see what all these users mean by the "iPAD experience" :)

While researching see if Splashtop might be a work around for you so you can enjoy the benefits of a tablet but still do the occasional heavy lifting of a desktop/laptop with it.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey mounterbikermark, I see you've switched to the galaxy. Are you happy with the switch? I am getting really annoyed with how limiting my ipad2 is (even jail broken) and I am considering that same swap. I absolutely LOVE my android phone and find my self using it more and more lately and I am just waiting for a tablet with android os to function well enough to allow me to dump the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts