What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can USB Adapter be used to transfer File on to IPAD?

tcas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to be able to transfer PDF files from my USB flash card directly to IPAD via camera/USB adpater, on a regular basis, 3 to 4 times daily!

I don't have the luxury of connecting IPAD to PC and then transferring via Itunes.

I don't have the option of WIFI, 3G or internet connectivity to email to myself.

Simply put I want to be able to transfer files from my flash card onto the IPAD directly via the USB adapter ? Can this be done?

Checked with the Apple store and was told the USB adapter is only good for download images from camera and will not support other file types. Is this true?

Thanks much!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to be able to transfer PDF files from my USB flash card directly to IPAD via camera/USB adpater, on a regular basis, 3 to 4 times daily!

I don't have the luxury of connecting IPAD to PC and then transferring via Itunes.

I don't have the option of WIFI, 3G or internet connectivity to email to myself.

Simply put I want to be able to transfer files from my flash card onto the IPAD directly via the USB adapter ? Can this be done?

Checked with the Apple store and was told the USB adapter is only good for download images from camera and will not support other file types. Is this true?

Thanks much!

Hi Tcas--Welcome to the forum! :)

Regarding your question, I do not think that what you are asking is possible. I could be wrong, but everything that I have read leads me to believe that you will need to find other options. My guess is you have the luxury of using a PC/laptop to download the PDF to your USB card. If so by doing that-why not try to use an app called dropbox where you can sync it remotely from a PC which will than automatically sync to your dropbox app on your ipad when you get home and in proximity of wifi. That may be a start for now, before other members respond back to you. Hope that helps, good luck.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks much!

That's correct. It's for photos only. You pretty much out of luck not having a PC or 3G & WiFi

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Tcas - welcome to the forum! :)

Well, as already stated if you have no computer, Wi-Fi, or 3G, you're asking for the impossible w/ the CCK and a USB flash drive; the camera connection kit is meant to read a special folder either from the camera w/ a USB connection or from an inserted card, such as SD - the folder is called 'DCIM' where the digital images are stored. Now if you try to create such a folder on your USB flash drive or another SD card (or use a SD card from a camera w/ the file formatted there) and then place the PDFs in that folder, will it work? I've experimented w/ a number of options and seemed to have made a 'little' progress - there is some discussion in THIS THREAD that may clarify the possibility. I'm just not sure how functional this suggestion will be for you, and am not near my computer or flash memory devices to test further; BUT the DCIM folder is the issue, and the other may be the way the image files are labelled?

Now my iPad is not 'jailbroken' and not sure about the one you own - maybe some of our members w/ JB iPads can chime in? File management like on Windows then becomes a potential option - might want to search in that forum? Good luck and if you find a solution please post back - would likely interest many others!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks much!

...but you do have the ability to use a laptop or pc to load the PDF to your USB adapter, correct?

e2jam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
Getting drop box will solve the problem it's free and is very simple to use.

Hi, sorry to jump in, but is this the same situation for syncing an iPod shuffle to the ipad since the shuffle that has the USB adapter? So in essence a computer would be needed for this too?

alanchan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know my solution can help you or not.
I had the same issue too but I know how to do it now.
I bought the Apple camera kit and that didn't work
I try using dropbox but not fast enough
I don't have the luxury of connecting IPAD to PC and then transferring via Itunes either
What I bought is the Apple Time Capsule
all my files are reside in the TC, I bought the ipad app called "Files Connect"
right the way, from Files Connect, I can see my files in the TC
I can download, copy or delete files anytime

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know my solution can help you or not............
I don't have the luxury of connecting IPAD to PC and then transferring via Itunes either
What I bought is the Apple Time Capsule
all my files are reside in the TC, I bought the ipad app called "Files Connect"
right the way, from Files Connect, I can see my files in the TC
I can download, copy or delete files anytime

Hi Alanchan - appears to be a great option for you (and a consideration for others); BUT, our OP has not responded back as of yet, so not sure if this would be a choice for him or her? From my 'reading', the OP has only a USB stick containing PDF files and wants these files on the iPad but w/o the availability of a computer or a Wi-Fi connection, so may not be a solution. I guess that we will have to wait until tcas responds? :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Without knowing how the files are getting onto the USB drive, I can't know if this is a viable solution. But if the OP can replace the USB drive with an AirStash drive, then it would be possible to transfer almost any file type to the iPad.

The AirStash has a USB port for connecting to computers, so it can be loaded that way. It connects to the iPad wirelessly, and with the companion app can transfer a wide variety of file types to the iPad. Kind of like a portable DropBox.

AirStash®: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The AirStash has a USB port for connecting to computers, so it can be loaded that way. It connects to the iPad wirelessly, and with the companion app can transfer a wide variety of file types to the iPad. Kind of like a portable DropBox.

AirStash®: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more

Hi TP - that looks like an interesting device! Already looking at some comments on Amazon and other places - do I need one? Probably not but I'm a gadget guy so may consider a purchase - thanks for the link and description! Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - that looks like an interesting device! Already looking at some comments on Amazon and other places - do I need one? Probably not but I'm a gadget guy so may consider a purchase - thanks for the link and description! Dave :)

I only know about it because I also like my gadgets, so I keep an eye on the cooler toys like this. The only reason I don't have it is because I can't come up with a practical use (for myself) that justifies the cost.

OT: There is supposed to be a new version of the Parrot AR.Drone at CES, with an HD camera. I want this soooo bad my bank account site refuses to open when I'm reading articles about this totally cool but use limited toy. :D

Shadow Catcher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera adapter allows you to read the memory card in the camera, what would prevent you from loading files on to the camera card?

Most reactions

Latest posts