What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can USB Adapter be used to transfer File on to IPAD?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shadow Catcher said:
The camera adapter allows you to read the memory card in the camera, what would prevent you from loading files on to the camera card?

The fact that the iPad wouldn't be able to read and download the files. The camera connection kit is only intended for transferring photos from your camera to the iPad.
BTW, this thread is a year old and it's highly unlikely that the OP will see your post, since he only posted once.

Last edited:

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes they can once you connect the iPad will find it and ask where you want to download. Freddie

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shadow Catcher said:
The camera adapter allows you to read the memory card in the camera, what would prevent you from loading files on to the camera card?

It only reads photos and videos in the exact format a modern digital camera uses. It won't even read image files if they do not have the right folder and file naming conventions.

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The CCK works fine for photos. But somehow the videos cannot be read on my iPad2, even though they look fine on the Mac.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zen2go said:
The CCK works fine for photos. But somehow the videos cannot be read on my iPad2, even though they look fine on the Mac.

Videos need to be in the same folder and file names as created directly on the camera. You cannot use it to transfer your own videos to the iPad. For that, use the wired connection.

zen2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The video files show up in the Camera folder when I insert the SD card into the CCK. They all look green while the photo files look normal. Both were taken using the same Nikon J1 camera.

I can play the video files and can hear the audio, but the pictures are all awash in green.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the iPad is limited depending on the file format the camera uses for video. With a broad range of file formats and no one uniform industry wide standard, it will be a bit ht and miss depending on the camera.

Tyger_Purr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution

-Buy a portable wi-fi router with file sharing such as MOCREO 5-in-1 Portable WiFi (not personaly vouching for this one it just happens to be the one I have and it cost less than the apple connection cables).
-Plug your USB stick into the router
-Connect your iphone/iPad via wi-fi to the router.
-Log into the routers built in file managment or use any FTP capable app to connect (GoodReader, ifiles, etc)
Transfer files.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could be the files are on a camera or phone memory card which is plugged in to a USB adapter. The portable WiFi solutions with a USB port seem the way to go. The Time Capsule is great but very expensive.

Last edited:

tcola

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to be able to transfer PDF files from my USB flash card directly to IPAD via camera/USB adpater, on a regular basis, 3 to 4 times daily!

I don't have the luxury of connecting IPAD to PC and then transferring via Itunes.

I don't have the option of WIFI, 3G or internet connectivity to email to myself.

Simply put I want to be able to transfer files from my flash card onto the IPAD directly via the USB adapter ? Can this be done?

Checked with the Apple store and was told the USB adapter is only good for download images from camera and will not support other file types. Is this true?

Thanks much!

Give up and get another tablet. I suggest Samsung Galaxy tablet. Excellent resolution, usb cable to PC transfer, no additional software, directory structure allows you to drag-n-drop, copy, cut, paste, etc.
The ipad as a logical work device is a dead idea.

tcola

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Give up and get another tablet. I suggest Samsung Galaxy tablet. Excellent resolution, usb cable to PC transfer, no additional software, directory structure allows you to drag-n-drop, copy, cut, paste, etc.
The ipad as a logical work device is a dead idea.

Well, responding to an OP that is over 3 years old and then 'bashing' the iPad on a forum dedicated to the devices is not a great start for a first time poster - LOL! ;)

A lot has happen in recent years and getting files onto an iPad has become a LOT easier w/ plenty of 'wireless' options now available - Dave :)

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Won't the Leef memory stick by iBridge along with their app allow file transfers fron a USB device to a lightning plug IPad?

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Airstash all the time for photo work- do a shoot, check results on the iPad, shoot more if needed. I also use it for movies. A 32 Gb SD card can hold a lot of movies so its good when you're travelling 'cause you can stream them direct to the iPad. I love my Airstash.

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually nothing Shadow Catcher, so long as the photos have the correct file format (for the iPad) as would be the case straight out of the/a camera, e.g. DSCN1310.JPG in the case of Nikon. I have done it, but it is a laborious process. Now I use an AirStash.

Most reactions