What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

kjaslow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's one I just came across...it's a take-off on the ability to swipe the . or , keys to get ' or ".

When you're on the .?123 view of your keyboard, you can swipe the - to get an _ or you can press-and-hold the - to see 3 choices -hyphen, underscore, or bullet. You can also press-and-hold many other keys from this view. For instance, press-and-hold the double-quotes to choose open/close double-quotes. Same for single-quotes. You can press-and-hold the currency key to choose other currencies. The period key can be swiped to give ... ? and ! can be swiped to give the upside-down version of these characters. Swipe 0 to get the degrees symbol. Swipe the ampersand to get the section symbol.

For that matter, many of the letters can also be press-and-held to get non-english variations of each letter with accents etc on them...

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Ignoring the fact that my screen will look significantly different from yours, the keyboard layout is still the same layout as stock.

The attached picture shows how the default keyboard appears when you start to type in spotlight for example.

There is no dash / underscore key. In order to reach it, you must press the ".?123" key, followed by the "#+=" key, to to finally reach an underscore character, hence the "triple tap" comment.

On other types of entry, such as a URL for example, the underscore is easier to reach (one click). Which keyboard layout are you describing where you have a dash and underscore available first? In what app?

Love that screen Leigh!

As with all shortcuts. It takes practice! I played with the keyboard, pressing all the buttons one after the other to find any hidden letters/numbers.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Hi f47 80y. I'm such a muppet.
You would never believe what I did.
I was on this forum, reading all the posts, when I saw the post about the underscore. I read it, tried it, couldn't see the problem and stored it in my head to ask about later (as I did) ....... while all the time using a laptop .
I guess that if you knew me, you WOULD believe it. :eek:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
5teve said:
Hi f47 80y. I'm such a muppet.
You would never believe what I did.
I was on this forum, reading all the posts, when I saw the post about the underscore. I read it, tried it, couldn't see the problem and stored it in my head to ask about later (as I did) ....... while all the time using a laptop .
I guess that if you knew me, you WOULD believe it. :eek:

LOL. We all have moments like that mate... but that one's a corker! Funnily enough, my underscore is available like that on my external keyboard too! Still, thanks for a giggle for today :D

Batpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5teve said:
I suppose everybody knows this one but I don't mind being laughed at as the NOOB.

If you double-tap on the Home button, the bottom bit of the screen lifts up to reveal all the apps that are running. If you then hold an app down until it starts to shake a re - appears in the corner of each one and you can close it down.

In addition, when you double tap the home button to reveal the running apps, this is how you switch between the running apps by simply selecting or tapping the icon. For instance, say you were in the calendar and you wanted some info contained in the mail app. Well instead of exiting the calendar app to launch the mail app, you simply remain within calendar, double tap the home button to show the running apps, and tap the mail icon. You will see you your iPad switch applications to mail, you can then copy the data you need, double tap the home button to switch back to the exact point that you were working on within calendar and paste..

Sent from my iPad using iPF - The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

EnnaShare

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5teve said:
I suppose everybody knows this one but I don't mind being laughed at as the NOOB.

If you double-tap on the Home button, the bottom bit of the screen lifts up to reveal all the apps that are running. If you then hold an app down until it starts to shake a re - appears in the corner of each one and you can close it down.

lol at myself. I just got my ipad2 a week ago, and now i know that i have all apps r running. Thanks for the tips!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any tips on how to backspace or move the cursor without deleting the whole sentence?
If you double-tap on a word it will be highlighted with touch-points to either side. You can drag the touch-points to cover all of the words you want to edit (cut, paste, delete).

You can also touch and hold at any point of text, on a word or a space between words, and a "magnifying glass" will appear under your finger. While still holding your finger to the glass, simply slide it to the point where you want to make an edit such as adding or deleting a letter, punctuation, etc. Release your finger and the cursor will be exactly where you want it.

Hope that helps!

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EnnaShare said:
Any tips on how to backspace or move the cursor without deleting the whole sentence?

Hold your finger down on the sentence and you should get the looking glass (or magnifying lens) pop up and you can move the cursor where needed. My friend has an android and I showed him that on my iPhone and it blew his mind away! Lol

iLoveMyiPad2!

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EnnaShare said:

Hello, only you need to tap exactly where you want to put the cursor and a circle lens zoom appear. Then you can move the cursor.

Most reactions

Latest posts