What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIPS AND TRICKS - for those of us who don't know!

fluffy669

iPF Noob
Reaction score
italiana830 said:
I already tried to put all of my videos from my HTC Droid phone onto the computer into a folder. But I am unable to get these videos on the ipad. Spite that I put them in the folder named my pictures....

You must make shaw that there a mp4 file on your computer if not you can try using format factory

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Symbols!

How to get copyright and other symbols on your ipad?

Go to Glyphboard and select the symbol you need. Then just copy it.

Example: ©

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I love this idea but how do you access this page when you are writing an email? If I get out of an email to go to the page, I lose my email.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to get copyright and other symbols on your ipad?

Go to Glyphboard and select the symbol you need. Then just copy it.

Example: ©

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I love this idea but how do you access this page when you are writing an email? If I get out of an email to go to the page, I lose my email.
Really? If you're on the latest iOS (v4.3.5) your iPad is capable of multitasking. To switch between programs just press the home button (circular button on the face of the iPad once) and you'll be returned to the home screen. Tap another program and it will open. Double press the home button again and the screen will slide up to reveal all of the running programs. Tap on any of them and that program will slide into place in the state you left it.

So you can have an open email, go and copy the copyright symbol and then move back to your email and paste it in.

If that doesn't work, detail exactly what you're doing and we'll work through it.

Hope that helps!

Here's an article showing all of the existing symbols that are available on the iPad:

http://www.labnol.org/software/keyboard-typing-shortcuts-for-iphone-ipad/13564/

FWIW for folks that use a lot of symbols there's an app called "Cymbol" that has all sorts of options (it's an iPhone app but I believe it will work on the iPad although I haven't tried it):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cymbol/id416714959

Last edited:

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[/quote said:
Really? If you're on the latest iOS (v4.3.5) your iPad is capable of multitasking. To switch between programs just press the home button (circular button on the face of the iPad once) and you'll be returned to the home screen. Tap another program and it will open. Double press the home button again and the screen will slide up to reveal all of the running programs. Tap on any of them and that program will slide into place in the state you left it.

So you can have an open email, go and copy the copyright symbol and then move back to your email and paste it in.

If that doesn't work, detail exactly what you're doing and we'll work through it.

Hope that helps!

Here's an article showing all of the existing symbols that are available on the iPad:

Keyboard Shortcuts and Typing Tips for your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch

FWIW for folks that use a lot of symbols there's an app called "Cymbol" that has all sorts of options (it's an iPhone app but I believe it will work on the iPad although I haven't tried it):

Cymbol for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Well golly gee...I just learned another trick! Thanks so much Rich! I always heard that one of the cons about the iPad First Generation was that you couldn't multiple-task! Guess they were wrong! Okay, let me try putting a smilie in here. Thanks again for your reply and help! ☺Yah, it worked! I am so glad to find you smart folks! ♥

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope that helps!

Keyboard Shortcuts and Typing Tips for your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch

Cymbol for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Well golly gee...I just learned another trick! Thanks so much Rich! I always heard that one of the cons about the iPad First Generation was that you couldn't multiple-task! Guess they were wrong! Okay, let me try putting a smilie in here. Thanks again for your reply and help! ☺Yah, it worked! I am so glad to find you smart folks! ♥

Well, I dunno about "smart" but it's always a pleasure to help!

FWIW you remember correctly, iOS (the operating system that runs iPads, iPhones, etc.) did not allow multi-tasking early on, but it works quite well on all iPads now.

Enjoy!

P.S. Nice heart too! :)

Last edited:

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me again!

Okay, I'm prob going to get kicked out of here my very first day, but how do you underline/underscore something? I know how to make the line but when I try to put it UNDER the word/words, it moves the letters to the right. I tried doing the underline first and moving my cursor over and then, typing but that doesn't work either! I promise this is my LAST question today! :eek: (And, I sooo appreciate your HELP/SMARTNESS!!! :D

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I'm prob going to get kicked out of here my very first day, but how do you underline/underscore something? I know how to make the line but when I try to put it UNDER the word/words, it moves the letters to the right. I tried doing the underline first and moving my cursor over and then, typing but that doesn't work either! I promise this is my LAST question today! :eek: (And, I sooo appreciate your HELP/SMARTNESS!!! :D
Apple Mail on the iPad is a plain text editor so it isn't capable of underlining or bold, etc. Even if you paste text that is formatted into it, it will just change to plain text.

There is a little app called HTML Mail Editor that will do that I believe.

HTML Mail Editor for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

It's not a replacement for Mail so once you've created an email in the editor it will drop it into your outbox to be sent. HTML text carries specific tags to create bold or italicized text and do on. The program doesn't say so specifically but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't create underlined text using the right tags. I'm not sure how important those sorts of things are for you but it's an option.

Ask as many questions as you'd like! I can almost guarantee that if you're wondering about something, so are many other folks. Even if they never thought about it, they may just learn something along the way...I know I do.

Hope that helps and keep 'em coming as they say.

Oh, BTW, there's are some links below my signature that may be useful...one for new iPad owners and one that links to actual iPad User Manuals from Apple...all free. Enjoy!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well golly gee...I just learned another trick! Thanks so much Rich! I always heard that one of the cons about the iPad First Generation was that you couldn't multiple-task! Guess they were wrong! I am so glad to find you smart folks! ♥

so you are happy to know there is such a thing called "multitasking" for iOS devices, how about you watch this video and be more happy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52zu-ocAd0]iPad iOS 4.3 multitasking gestures - YouTube[/ame]

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kjaslow said:
Here's one I just came across...it's a take-off on the ability to swipe the . or , keys to get ' or ".

When you're on the .?123 view of your keyboard, you can swipe the - to get an _ or you can press-and-hold the - to see 3 choices -hyphen, underscore, or bullet. You can also press-and-hold many other keys from this view. For instance, press-and-hold the double-quotes to choose open/close double-quotes. Same for single-quotes. You can press-and-hold the currency key to choose other currencies. The period key can be swiped to give ... ? and ! can be swiped to give the upside-down version of these characters. Swipe 0 to get the degrees symbol. Swipe the ampersand to get the section symbol.

For that matter, many of the letters can also be press-and-held to get non-english variations of each letter with accents etc on them...

'I just tried it'
"and this"
Learning every day.
Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts