What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third iPad3 with assorted issues

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

First off, hello. I'm new here. :)

I just want to say that I love the new iPad. The screen has amazing resolution, and I actually find it hard to look at my old iPad 1 now that I've grown used to the new iPad.

That said, I am now on my third new iPad. All three have had issues.

The first one was a black 32 GB WiFi only. It had a yellowish tint on the bottom left of the screen. It was enough to discolor the keyboard in that area. The screen was also darker on the bottom and left hand side. Very uneven backlighting. I tried running it on full brightness for hours at a time, hoping the issue would go away. It never did go away. I returned it to Target a couple of days ago.

The second one was also a black 32 GB WiFi only. It had a decent screen, and no issues with WiFi or charging or yellow hue. But it had dead pixels. I returned that one

I have the third one now. It is a white 64 GB WiFi only. It has a very nice screen. It is very even, and even in the dark, I can see no light bleeding. But I did notice some light leakage on the right hand side, when I tilt the right hand side away from me. It is very slight, and it about an inch and a half long. It is only noticeable in a dark room. I'm not sure that light leakage is the right term. I get leakage and bleed confused. What I mean to say is that I can see bright light at the edge of the screen. Like the screen is a little separated from the glass. The thing is that it does not affect the screen at all. It is only noticeable when I tilt the screen at a certain angle and look at the very edge.

I guess my question is, does this matter? Other than this issue, I really like this iPad. It is the best one I've had out of the three. If I keep it, is it possible that it will get worse over time? Or will it just stay the same?

Thanks

OP
C

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really is a gorgeous screen. Maybe I'll just get AppleCare. That way if it does get worse, I can always swap it. I've never gotten an extended warranty for one of these things. My iPad1 has been going strong for almost 2 years now. Same with the wife's. Even though she doesn't use it as much since getting the iPad 2. Best Buy tried to sell me their extended warranty when I bought this. But I decided to hold off and compare it to AppleCare to see which is the best choice.

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it would matter and I am not that picky, sorry to hear all these stories from you guys.

OP
C

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not really a question of being picky, though I think that there are folks out there that are overly picky. I just want to make sure that down the line, this isn't going to become an issue that affect the functionality of the iPad. I had this same issue with an iPad 2, and it did affect the screen when viewing dark images. As far as I can tell, this is a minor thing on my new iPad and it affects nothing. If it continues to affect nothing, I'm fine with keeping it.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you did not buy Apple Care at the same time you bought the iPad you have to buy it at an Apple store within 30 days of iPad purchase. They will want to check the unit out. This is how I understand it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jmbarker said:
If you did not buy Apple Care at the same time you bought the iPad you have to buy it at an Apple store within 30 days of iPad purchase. They will want to check the unit out. This is how I understand it.

Unfortunately this is not true at all, check out this link http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/ipad.html you can buy it anytime before the first year is up and Apple don't inspect your product.

The Archangel

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the third one now. It is a white 64 GB WiFi only. It has a very nice screen. It is very even, and even in the dark, I can see no light bleeding. But I did notice some light leakage on the right hand side, when I tilt the right hand side away from me. It is very slight, and it about an inch and a half long. It is only noticeable in a dark room. I'm not sure that light leakage is the right term. I get leakage and bleed confused. What I mean to say is that I can see bright light at the edge of the screen. Like the screen is a little separated from the glass. The thing is that it does not affect the screen at all. It is only noticeable when I tilt the screen at a certain angle and look at the very edge.

Thanks

If you examine every object in such a critical manner, your life will be a very unrewarding experience since it will be filled with one disappointment after another. Very soon your new toy will start having scratches and dings here and there and your life will be in agony. So why bother?

Like Tim Cook said to those people who didn't like the heat or the battery life of the new iPad that they should just return them and never go near Apple again.

Fortunately, you haven't broken the record on this forum. I believe the record keeper had 5 returned after the first 3 days.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not really a question of being picky, though I think that there are folks out there that are overly picky. I just want to make sure that down the line, this isn't going to become an issue that affect the functionality of the iPad. I had this same issue with an iPad 2, and it did affect the screen when viewing dark images. As far as I can tell, this is a minor thing on my new iPad and it affects nothing. If it continues to affect nothing, I'm fine with keeping it.

If that light should ever become a problem, you just take it in and say "Hey, look at this light...it's spoiling my use of my iPad". As long as that light is not the result of damage you did, Apple would replace it has faulty within the first year, assuming there is nothing a genius can do to fix it. So, I really don't think you have to worry about it. But if it is spoiling your enjoyment of your iPad right now, take it back for replacement.

For my iPad 2 (my first iPad), I didn't get AC+. I had the screen get locked so that it would not rotate no matter what I did. I just took it into the a genius and told them the problem. She played around with it and decided it was defective, and give me a brand new replacement iPad. All done in under 20 minutes.

This time, I got AC+. Only because since I use it every single day, I might drop the thing. If I drop it, I don't want to have to depend on the good graces of an genius to get it fixed. But I only expect to have to use AC+ in the event that the damage is the result of my misuse, not because something internal to the iPad went bad. The latter is a warranty issue, not something for AC+.

OP
C

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you examine every object in such a critical manner, your life will be a very unrewarding experience since it will be filled with one disappointment after another. Very soon your new toy will start having scratches and dings here and there and your life will be in agony. So why bother?

Like Tim Cook said to those people who didn't like the heat or the battery life of the new iPad that they should just return them and never go near Apple again.

Fortunately, you haven't broken the record on this forum. I believe the record keeper had 5 returned after the first 3 days.

Good advice. That can be a difficult habit to break, once you get into it. Sometimes it seems more like finding the one with the flaws that you can live with, as opposed to finding a perfect one.

Did this record setter ever get one that he liked? Or did he finally give up?

L

Lunar

Good advice. That can be a difficult habit to break, once you get into it. Sometimes it seems more like finding the one with the flaws that you can live with, as opposed to finding a perfect one.

Did this record setter ever get one that he liked? Or did he finally give up?

I actually believe the record is held by someone on here who claims he is on his ninth iPad3.. I think he stated he was giving up...lol

If its a bright visible light under the edge which is visible when you look from the side this is not minor light bleed, this IMO is a fault warranting replacement. Minor light bleed is where one or 2 tiny spots around the edge is changing the colour slightly lighter, so dark area's in a certain spot look a touch lighter. You can check by loading a black screen, in a darkened room the screen will appear as a uniform dark grey, as it's not possible to get a dead black screen with any backlit Lcd display, if there's any light bleed you will see a slightly lighter shade of grey in a certain area. That's is what minor light bleed is, and has already stated many times will not affect the display in normal use, as your generally unlikely to be using the iPad in a blacked out room. In fact one should not be viewing a LCD backlit panel in a darkened room anyway, otherwise your blacks will never look anywhere near black.

IOW, if it's very minor, it's simply not worth worrying about, my own iPad3 has a tiny amount in one place (though I have to look closely to spot it) on the edge as does our iPad 1, my youngest sons iPad2 also has a little and the others sons iPad 3 is about the same as mine. In fact I would say if one looked close enough I could find a liitle on most iPads, even on those users iPads who have stated they have none at all. However if it's not a issue in normal use under normal lighting then I don't consider its a problem at all... indeed Apple would probably call it a feature...lol.

Nonetheless, if it looks like someone is shining a torch under the edge even if only visible if viewed from the side, then I would want it replacing. It's not a cheap item, and the fact you know it's there can make you feel a little dis-satisfied. I obviously don't know how noticable it is, if it's not easily visible unless you go looking for it, then as others have suggested, it may be something you can live with, as in normal use you would'nt see it... but only you can answer that one.

I swapped my first one because it had a tiny spec of dust about 1mm in size, like a tiny hair, which was visible behind the screen, this 2nd one seem 99.95% okay, but had already decided that if I returned this 2nd one, I was going to opt for the refund instead of another replacement, mainly due to my concern I could end up with one that was worse. I would have just managed with my iPad 1 for a little longer.

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
C

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am surprised that there was any store that let him do nine of these things. I'm always afraid that after two, they'll say sorry, you can't exchange any longer.

It is along the right edge of the screen. It actually runs most of the length of the screen, though it is brighter towards the bottom. It is only visible in a dark room, and only if I go looking for it by turning the screen so that it is horizontal. If there is any light in the room, I cannot see it.

L

Lunar

I am surprised that there was any store that let him do nine of these things. I'm always afraid that after two, they'll say sorry, you can't exchange any longer.

It is along the right edge of the screen. It actually runs most of the length of the screen, though it is brighter towards the bottom. It is only visible in a dark room, and only if I go looking for it by turning the screen so that it is horizontal. If there is any light in the room, I cannot see it.

I agree.. I'm surprised also, though after the 2nd I think I'd have given up and gone for the refund, I'm in that dilemma at the moment, my 14th day is tomorrow April 3rd, and like on yours, I can only detect mine in a darkened room and even then it's not too bad.
So I've decided I can live with my small light leakage, simply because I cannot see it under normal use and lighting conditions, mine is just down the left edge other 3 sides are perfect. Now I just need to educate my brain to ignore and forget it's there...lol

whatever you decide. I can tell you, it wont get any worse over time, I've had monitors, and laptops which had minor light leakage, and they certainly did'nt get any worse over time. TBH in a v/darkened room you will likely find most if not all will have a tiny amount of leakage if one looks close enough. Some people are more fussy than others (including me) while in reality, if it wasn't for forums like this, and others, I suspect many people would not even have bothered or indeed noticed. ;-)
BTW that's not a criticism of forums, I'm just merely stating the obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

cookeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TBH in a v/darkened room you will likely find most if not all will have a tiny amount of leakage if one looks close enough. Some people are more fussy than others (including me) while in reality, if it wasn't for forums like this, and others, I suspect many people would not even have bothered or indeed noticed. ;-)
BTW that's not a criticism of forums, I'm just merely stating the obvious.
I suspect that you're right. I ended up on the Apple Discussions forum because of yellowing of the screen and uneven backlighting. I was checking to see if anyone else had noticed this. And along the way, I discovered other issues like the so called "death grip", and overheating. I really do try to avoid the forums until well after the purchase has been made, unless I come across some kind of issue. This time, I just happened to come across one of the things that others are complaining about.

Before this, I tried the iPad 2 back in December. The first one had grey corners and was darker on the left side, and had lots of light bleeding. The screen was very uneven. The second one had major light leakage. I just didn't know the name for it then. When viewing something dark, it looked like someone was shining a flashlight through the right side. After taking the second one back, I decided to just wait for the iPad 3.

Most reactions

Latest posts