What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad screen bleeding nightmare.. What to do?

timothyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I had an iPad 2 which I gave to my brother and I absolutely loved it! I used it almost exclusively for movies and reading (often in dark lighting conditions) and I never had a screen bleeding problem. But I gave it away and I decided to buy a new one after much consideration and I cannot find one without significant screen bleeding!!! This is a huge problem for me especially since 85% of my use is in little to no light (usually reading or watching Netflix in bed.) But even at 50% the screen bleeding is really visible and distracting to me... I swapped it out once at the apple store and was having the same issue and then made an appt at the genius bar at a further apple store because the one I was at had no appointments for the rest of the day. The associate basically refused to look at it and said it wasn't a "known issue" after looking on the computer for like 10 minutes. They said they would "do me a favor" by swapping it out one more time... I said thanks and took the replacement (with a lot of bleeding) but I bought it that day so how was an exchange a favor? I could just return it and but it again, right?

Anyway, the money is tight but I've been saving/budgeting this for a while now and I have never faced this issue with my last iPad so I'm really frustrated.. What have you guys done? Does this ever go away? Do all iPad 3's have this? Do you guys think it's acceptable? I may just return it and wait a month or so to buy a new one.. I attached a photo of the one I have now but I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have!

Attachments

• image-4272611245.jpg
    image-4272611245.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 674

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
50% is just too much for reading in a dark room! I use 50% for reading in a normally lite room during the day and about 35% in that same room at night with the lights on. In a dark room I might use 20-25%. All back-lite displays will have some bleed-thru, check out your TV in a dark room with a black screen on the display. I believe the iPad3 has a brighter display overall than the iPad2 has, therefore turn the brightness control down more.

OP
timothyj

timothyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I should have specified - I use abt 50% for watching movies in the dark but less for reading... Have you experienced this on your iPad?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine has little o no bleed. Return it if you are unhappy. Come back again and buy another.

OP
timothyj

timothyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm do you think it would be better to return it and buy another one later or swap it out with the geniuses again? They just gave me a brand new one and swapped it out last time..

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
timothyj said:
Hmm do you think it would be better to return it and buy another one later or swap it out with the geniuses again? They just gave me a brand new one and swapped it out last time..

I don't know that it would make a difference, so do what you feel is best.

cayleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To return or not?

I returned 4 ipads one after another 1 ipad 2 and three ipad 3s
you have 14 days at best buy to return hassal free
keep returning till you get a good one
i went right out side the store and activated mine coverd the camera and took a picture
to check for too much bleed and stuck pixels remember to rotate ipad when checking for flaws
as i found stuck pixels in statous bar once
now im happy
jailbroken ipad 3 4g with voice control amd a ton of extras!

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well firstly this Test is Self Destructive, Self Destructive in the sense it will unnecessarily start making you feel worried about a issue which even the manufacturer doesnt gurantee about....So forget about the user.... And moreover, whoever started spreading this way of testing the iPad screens didn't probably know how the iPad works and if this Test means anything ?

Take it from me, You will find no iPad screens sold in any part of the world with 0% Screen Bleeding. Apple (I have spoken to quite a few Tech Support Guys on this issue and so saying...Apple's definition) Apple only considers a screen Bleeding if in normal use like when you have a APP, or a URL or anything that you are doing in normal use and if the light is leaking only then it is a issue. Going in a Darkroom bringing a Black Wallpaper testing for Backlight Bleeding is utter Nonsense and Rubbish. You will not find any such iPad units, where if you do this exercise there is 0% light coming out of the Bezel. No you aint gonna find one like that !

Only thing remains in question is at what point you feel content !

Most reactions

Latest posts