What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 Light leak under bezel normal?

Erusman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought the iPad 3 from local BB. Replacing the iPad 2 for kids. Everything seems good. No light bleed. However.
I did notice if you look under the bezel about 170 ish degrees. You can notice some light coming through on edges.
Only happens in a few spots. Like the screen wasn't completely sealed in few spots.
Is this common? Anyone else have this problem?

I examined iPad in dark room and even though it has this light leak way under the bezel. It doesn't seem to leak out onto
the screen.

iPad 3 Light leak.jpg

Last edited:

Airtent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not seeing that on my ipad 3. With my i2, it had the bleed through at several areas around the edges and so did the next 3 replacements. This usually happens when the glue used to seal the glass was still not dried, or someone failed to put glue around that section. I'm guessing that would be noticeable if you were in. A dark room and for me would probably find a little annoying. Sucks this time around there is only one manufacturer of the lcd display (samsung). And the i2's switched to another lcd maker to fix the edge bleed. But for you i would suggest to go to your nearest apple store and see if you can get it replaced. Sucks if you had it engraved.

OP
E

Erusman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not seeing that on my ipad 3. With my i2, it had the bleed through at several areas around the edges and so did the next 3 replacements. This usually happens when the glue used to seal the glass was still not dried, or someone failed to put glue around that section. I'm guessing that would be noticeable if you were in. A dark room and for me would probably find a little annoying. Sucks this time around there is only one manufacturer of the lcd display (samsung). And the i2's switched to another lcd maker to fix the edge bleed. But for you i would suggest to go to your nearest apple store and see if you can get it replaced. Sucks if you had it engraved.

Well, I decided to return mine. Not just because of the light leak. But because the iPad 3 is getting way to hot to even hold. This thing is overheating. I don't trust my little kids using it. Even if it does have a case on it. Lower left hand corner is very hot not just warm. I never had any problems with the iPad 2. Seems as if lithium batteries are overheating. Heck what if they exploded? I see some problems happening here in the near future for apple and the iPad 3. Going to get a refund. Thanks for comment.

Airtent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The heating may also be a defect. Some are saying if the ipad 3 is on full brightness, that is when it starts to heat up. I've only had a very mild heating near the left side when using it. I tend to keep mine at half brightness, but also have the auto on which ups it a bit at times. Some think there is a bad batch of them going around and others only experienced the big overheat once. I'm thinking that the thermal paste used over the a5x chip hasn't been completely "cured" on some ipad 3's as that would explain the temporary heat issue.

This happens a lot when you first apply a new heat sink and new thermal paste to a cpu. The first few times the pc is turned on, there are higher than normal temps because the thermal paste hasn't gotten enough time to bind properly between the top of the cpu and top of the heat sink. Once the 'break-in' process has occurred, the temperature decreases. Ipad 1/2 don't have a need as much for a heatsink over the main chip. So maybe before you take it back, see if the overheating gets better over time. My guess is that your device was one of the more recently assembled before getting shipped.

If the overheat issue still persists after a bit, then defective is my assessment.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airtent said:

Those poor peeps that make these I am sure are so over worked it is hard to believe the iPads/IPhones turn out as well as they do.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Most reactions

Latest posts