What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 4.2 Update killed my iPAD - Need help

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While in the process of preparing the update (After the backup done by the upgrade program) I suddenly notice that I have a picture of a USB connector with an Arrow pointing toword a circle designated as iTune. Can't get rid of it. Tried to reset the iPOD ( Long press on the power button) . Nothing.
By the way. I didn't have any jailbreak on it. No Cidia. Nothing. Just a new iPAD one month old with very few free programs, and some books.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While in the process of preparing the update (After the backup done by the upgrade program) I suddenly notice that I have a picture of a USB connector with an Arrow pointing toword a circle designated as iTune. Can't get rid of it. Tried to reset the iPOD ( Long press on the power button) . Nothing.
By the way. I didn't have any jailbreak on it. No Cidia. Nothing. Just a new iPAD one month old with very few free programs, and some books.

Hopefully you backed up...you are in DFU mode and the only way out is to restore.

kirby2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no luck

I had the same thing happen. my base PC said that the transfer did not happen and my i pad locked for anextended time. I don't think that this is part of any good process.

how do I get back to a usable i pad?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before it did the download it synced. You should be able to plug it into iTunes and do a restore.

rwsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too had problems with installing 4.2. It performed a mysterious and very prolonged backup after the install and then hung up in the verification, crashing iTunes. After various unsuccessful attempts to fix things with the help of Apple, I ended up doing a full restore and it turned out that the backup was basically useless. I've had to resync the iPod completely from iTunes. The caution for this situation is that I guess I'll lose whatever is not visible in iTunes without the iPad (such as word processing documents). So be careful out there.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too had problems with installing 4.2. It performed a mysterious and very prolonged backup after the install and then hung up in the verification, crashing iTunes. After various unsuccessful attempts to fix things with the help of Apple, I ended up doing a full restore and it turned out that the backup was basically useless. I've had to resync the iPod completely from iTunes. The caution for this situation is that I guess I'll lose whatever is not visible in iTunes without the iPad (such as word processing documents). So be careful out there.

Well, that sucks. Mine went smooth as can be. Everything was explained as the process was occurring. I'm assuming you used a PC. Did Apple tell you how you could of avoided it or did they just say stuff happens?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Same thing happened to me, It seems like the reason was that iTunes filled my entire c: with backup data and upon running out of room corrupted the backup file....which in turn actually made it so it would crash iTunes in both Mac and Windows.

I am now backing up the backup so I can restore some hard drive space and try again. How annoying.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No need to rest or to get out of it, just download tinyumbrella and there is a button you click to get out of dfu.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well mine wasn't stuck in DFU I had to put it into DFU in order to restore...Mine was stuck in the finalize stage with a progress bar under the apple. And hard resetting caused it to go back to that screen and plugging it in caused iTunes to crash. I got it up and running but when I tried to use my back up it said it couldn't because I was out of disk space...now fixing that problem.

OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried all the tricks I could find. Even that nice Video, couldn't help me.
Yes I was using a PC with Windows 7 running iTune 10.1

Here is the Video:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkVr5CxFiFM[/ame]

Pmkeitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've Tried to update to 4.2 five times and it keeps say iTunes was unable to update a problem occurred. And it was stuck in recovery mode. Luckly I have a program called Ireb. And it fixes the loop so it's not stuck in recovery.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone had these issues with OSX or does it seem to be a windows only problem?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mac here, went smooth as butter. I'm thinking that maybe people with a PC should do a reboot of their PC before installing.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an error also 3004 not sure if it's because my itunes is beta
I used tiny umbrella to kick out then rebooted pc trying again but it's taking a long time in the verify stage. Next will reinstall itunes

Most reactions

Latest posts