What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 4.2 Update killed my iPAD - Need help

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, My gf's iPad suffered the same fate. I updated on a windows 7 PC it failed...locked up and locked iTunes everytime I tried.

After 3 tries of that it filled the hard drive and totally screwed things up. I backed up the backup data, reinstalled iTunes tried again, same problem.

I reinstalled Windows, same problem. I put the backup file onto my Mac....SAME PROBLEM!

So at 10pm last nite I had to give her the bad news....she has to start over again. I put on some apps that I have on my comp...but all of her notes and flash cards are gone...I'm really pissed at this! This should not be the case!!

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what I find really frustrating is that ALL my backups for ipad are suddenly gone. The only one that shows up is the one I did yesterday for this update and it's worthless.

I certainly will not be trusting anything important on the iPad from this point on. Killer is, there are some apps that I managed to grab that are no longer available on the apple store.

OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After my Fiasco with iTune (at home) that refused my iPAD , I did succeed with my LapTop . Went back to my Home PC. Connected the iPAD. Got a prompt suggesting a Restore. I obliged, and got all my APPs and Favorites back. Books and magazines are not synced anyway, so I just moved them from the PC directory directly into the device.
Finally a Happy end.

By the way There is a bug in the the exchange mail, when writing in Hebrew and the iPAD is in horizontal position, It is pushing the Hebrew letter to the right off the screen. ( Hebrew is being written from right to left) Not nice !!
Had to replay in a vertical mode for Hebrew.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no issues in upgrading today in fact I upgraded to 4.2.1 in both of my iPad and iPhone 4 in less than 25 minutes. I back up daily

batesokc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two iPads & both crashed during update

Tried updating two iPads (mine and my mother's).

Mine is sync'd with a newer iMac running the latest version of iTunes.

I backed up both iPads prior to trying to upgrade (always a good idea).

During the upgrade the status bar on the iPad seemed to stop at about 98% (estimate). After and hour or two I'd hard restart the iPad and try again - each time with the same result. Eventually had to do a 'restore.' But, again, at 98% it would freeze.

I left it overnight and by morning it had finished the restore and was upgraded to 4.2.

----

My mother's iPad is another story. It syncs to a Windows laptop. We first had to upgrade iTunes to the latest version. During this process we received and error saying it couldn't upgrade. However, after restarting the computer and launching iTunes it had indeed upgraded.

We then tried to upgrade the iPad to 4.2. It started the upgrade and then said their was an error and needed to be restored (similar to what happened with mine).

However, when we tried to perform the restore we keep getting an error saying there has been an error and the restore cannot be performed.

She is on the phone with Apple now. They tried to claim she was outside the 90 day phone support option and would have to pay for support. After arguing that the problem is with their software and pointing out the many discussions online about this issue (including Apple's website), tech support agreed to 'give an exception' and provide free phone support. She has been on the phone for an hour and 23 minutes so far and the problem has not been fixed.

Right now they have her uninstalling itunes and reinstalling it. This was only tried after we pointed out to the tech guy that many people online said this helps. The tech guy also claimed they haven't had hardly any issues report from their customers regarding the upgrade. Which has to be a lie based on the tons of posts online.

Today we are not happy Apple customers.

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Windows 7 Pro x64 here. iPad 3G 64. My iPad update was in the final stage, and the white bar was 98% (eyeballing it, there is no numeric meter). It appeared to hang there. I decided to go to bed. When I woke up in the morning my iPad was updated and everything was fine. I don't know what this last step that takes so long is, but it seems not to be an error, just a step that takes a while. If I hadn't seen somewhere just to leave it over night, I may have tried something and actually screwed it when all it needed was time. I can't find the post that saved me again, but thanks to whoever posted it. It is true, just wait if it seems to hang at the end.

Doh! I just found the post that helped and it was the last one before I posted http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/13338-4-2-update-killed-my-ipad-need-help-4.html#post93803. I had been looking everywhere else. Thanks batesokc. You saved me.

Last edited:

Smilesbypayet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried updating two iPads (mine and my mother's).
----

My mother's iPad is another story. It syncs to a Windows laptop. We first had to upgrade iTunes to the latest version. During this process we received and error saying it couldn't upgrade. However, after restarting the computer and launching iTunes it had indeed upgraded.

We then tried to upgrade the iPad to 4.2. It started the upgrade and then said their was an error and needed to be restored (similar to what happened with mine).

However, when we tried to perform the restore we keep getting an error saying there has been an error and the restore cannot be performed.

She is on the phone with Apple now. They tried to claim she was outside the 90 day phone support option and would have to pay for support. After arguing that the problem is with their software and pointing out the many discussions online about this issue (including Apple's website), tech support agreed to 'give an exception' and provide free phone support. She has been on the phone for an hour and 23 minutes so far and the problem has not been fixed.

Right now they have her uninstalling itunes and reinstalling it. This was only tried after we pointed out to the tech guy that many people online said this helps. The tech guy also claimed they haven't had hardly any issues report from their customers regarding the upgrade. Which has to be a lie based on the tons of posts online.

Today we are not happy Apple customers.

I guess I will have to try calling tech support and use that same story, given it seems there are a LOT of problems. I deleted EVERYTHING Apple from my Win 7 64-bit, restarted, downloaded the newest version of iTunes for 64-bit PC, and tried running the update.........still no success whatsoever. Every single time, it hangs up and then gives an error message, usually 1611. :mad:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too had problems with installing 4.2. It performed a mysterious and very prolonged backup after the install and then hung up in the verification, crashing iTunes. After various unsuccessful attempts to fix things with the help of Apple, I ended up doing a full restore and it turned out that the backup was basically useless. I've had to resync the iPod completely from iTunes. The caution for this situation is that I guess I'll lose whatever is not visible in iTunes without the iPad (such as word processing documents). So be careful out there.

I've not been successful with backups recently (hours and hours) so I copied everything important to Dropbox which means its readily available and downloadable again.. I had 5 tries until I could accomplish an upgrade. It finally took deleting all my news apps and Zinio, plus any app I thought had dled data. It took several hours but finally finished correctly. I reinstalled the apps without problem, dled any info from apps I deleted. Not optimal, but I understand better what is causing LONG backups. Mine is a 64 wifi eith lots of apps, many with data uploaded/updated daily but I had little trouble upgrading my husband's 32 wifi after I deleted Zinio (and reinstalled and dled the current mags for both of us from the archives).

howell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt this is related, but I had a similar issue when I updated to 4.2. It turns out that it was related to Wifi Sync, a helper app that was installed on my laptop. Once I uninstalled it, the iPad actually updated normally.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Howell

SouthernAppleGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After loving many apple products i have learned to hate my iPad. I had a great deal of difficulty getting it to work from the beginning, and I'll not go into that here. After using it for a few weeks I got the message that the upgrade was available. Once I plugged it in to my iMac that was the END. It will not come out of "restore" mode. I have looked at the many posts and some youtube videos, and NOTHING will take it from either not being on at all or the picture of the connection on the screen.
I see some mention of black rain, do I need to find, download and execute that program? I have done NOTHING to my iPad except use if with a half dozen apps.
I have asked for the express lane to call me but I have no idea where this all will take me. If I could get my money back I would return the darn thing until the next gen comes out - maybe.
Thanks for anyone that can come to my rescue.
George
South Florida

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After loving many apple products i have learned to hate my iPad. I had a great deal of difficulty getting it to work from the beginning, and I'll not go into that here. After using it for a few weeks I got the message that the upgrade was available. Once I plugged it in to my iMac that was the END. It will not come out of "restore" mode. I have looked at the many posts and some youtube videos, and NOTHING will take it from either not being on at all or the picture of the connection on the screen.
I see some mention of black rain, do I need to find, download and execute that program? I have done NOTHING to my iPad except use if with a half dozen apps.
I have asked for the express lane to call me but I have no idea where this all will take me. If I could get my money back I would return the darn thing until the next gen comes out - maybe.
Thanks for anyone that can come to my rescue.
George
South Florida

Check out this thread!

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/2987-how-put-your-ipad-into-recovery-mode-2.html

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download tinyumbrella, that brought me out of restore mode when I was stuck.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tiny umbrella will get you unstuck. I had the same result with my first update attempt (my iTunes needed reinstalling for successful upgrade so when you get unstuck, remove iTunes then reinstall). But search for tiny umbrella, connect iPad to computer run tiny umbrella and you'll see a button to kick out of recovery mode. When you click that your iPad will reboot and be back to start of update.

I've never been jail broke but have used the umbrella app.

Most reactions

Latest posts