What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Jobs Pours Ice Cold Water on Rumours of 7-Inch iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Today was a very busy news day for Apple and Apple CEO Steve Jobs in particular, with Apple announcing its fourth quarter results via conference call. Steve Jobs doesn’t usually turn up at these things, but today he did, and he was in the mood to talk. A lot! For starters, he completely squashed the persistent rumour that Apple will soon be releasing a 7-inch iPad, according to AppleInsider.

“The reason we [won’t] make a 7-inch tablet isn’t because we don’t want to hit that price point, it’s because we think the screen is too small to express the software,†said Jobs during the conference call. “As a software driven company we think about the software strategies first.â€

“We know developers aren’t going to deal well with these different sizes and they have to change their software every time the screen size changes,†Jobs added. “ When we make decisions on 7-inch tablets it’s not about costs, it’s about the value of the product when you factor in the software… we’re all about making the best products at aggressive prices and that’s what we do, and that’s what we will do with the iPad and iPod.â€

So there you have it, straight from the horse’s mouth: no 7-inch iPad.

Source: AppleInsider

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never once did believe that there would come out a 7" Ipad. I don't see apple as the one to follow the trend of smaller tablets. rather, Apple wants to start a trend.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i keep trying to tell people that Mr jobs is going to do something stupid with the ipad in the first year of it release ..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is he going to do that is stupid, Henry?

working around a bunch of software greeks you learn from talking to them about the ipad and it basic software to run the ipad and they think Steve Jobs is a god along with talking them about the software that apple use to run a ipad or iphone or ipod is that it design to be simple and smooth to work with..

plus a office pool that apple would not bring out a 7.inch before next year Xmas ..the pool is about $.1000.oo dollars and it was payed out this afternoon ..myself and three other guys where the winners ..:D:D:):D:D

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7 inches is too small when you have a colour screen. The iPad is a media consumption device, and most colour media - anything with pictures - needs plenty of screen real estate (magazines, films, picture books, the web).

And given that most people are using their iPad at home it just doesn't need to be super-portable. It's plenty portable enough for what they're using it for.

I've been hoping for bigger tablets 12-13" and have been rather disappointed at this trend towards 7".

I guess it's caused by the false idea that everyone is always on the go (and that when they're 'on-the-go' they have time to play with their tablet), and the dimensions of paperback books.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He's right about fingertip size being the defining factor in screen size. I love my iPod but with large hands manipulating the on screen controls is often awkward.
With modern screens, the importance of size depends on how highly you rate portability against other factors. Just hold it closer and it appears bigger.

Although he sounded grumpy, a cold perhaps, he gave an interesting overview of how apple conceives the development of their machines. The user experience being paramount.
What the iPad experience has given me is a discontent with my current pc's and mac, with their industrial operating systems failing to run with the speed of iOS. I want instant on/off and immediate response.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah have been following rumours. And Jobs did say there is more to come this year.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what do we do to the next person that starts a thread asking about or starting the rumor of a 7" iPad?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense to me. I never understood the 7". The only advantage I could see is cost - or maybe women being able to stick it in their purse. Apple likes to keep it simple. A lot of the success of the iPhone has been that there was only 1 phone where windows mobile allowed manufacturers to makes phones with a dozen or so different resolutions and aspect ratios - I can only imagine how much of a pain that was for WinMobile developers.

jordexj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by SweetPoison
What is he going to do that is stupid, Henry?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
working around a bunch of software greeks you learn from talking to them about the ipad and it basic software to run the ipad and they think Steve Jobs is a god along with talking them about the software that apple use to run a ipad or iphone or ipod is that it design to be simple and smooth to work with..

plus a office pool that apple would not bring out a 7.inch before next year Xmas ..the pool is about $.1000.oo dollars and it was payed out this afternoon ..myself and three other guys where the winners ..:D:D:):D:D
------------------------------------
You have got to be kidding... I'm sure your office also has an office pool on whether Microsoft is going to discontinue their Zune line this year as well, huh.... nerds!
<!-- / message -->

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote:
------------------------------------
You have got to be kidding... I'm sure your office also has an office pool on whether Microsoft is going to discontinue their Zune line this year as well, huh.... nerds!
<!-- / message -->
we have the following pools right now that is up to about $.4,000.oo dollars in the pools for the following .baseball world series and who going to the superbowel..

i put money into the google phone pool that it would take off and i lost on the google phone ..

they are some of the worst gamblers in there life when it comes to betting on some of the sports teams ..but when it comes to the betting on apple most of them will not bet againest apple on some of the basic ideas of apple does everything for a reason .

how we won was we where betting againest the installers of the company ..so i picked the greeks over the installers in the pool and walked away with just over .$.1100.oo dollars in my hand before giveing the standard 100.oo to 200.oo dollars to local group that we all support ..

the basic bet was when do you think steve job was going to comfirm or tell everyone when the 7.inchs ipad was going to come out ..each person put a $.100.oo dollars in the pot at the time of the pot it was at little over $.4400.oo dollars in the pot from eveyone from the cleaning lady to the front desk secretary who got into the pool..

we have a gambleing pools in the diff areas in our office pools for as longer your in the business of working as software engineers and installer personal you find that most of the people have a stange sense of humor when it comes to life and can not really work around other people in a normal sense and this type of work seams to suit them very well in life and we do like to bet on some of the stange things in one life..

when your kid time and hour of the day they are going to born on

the guy or girl is going to be fired that day for something that they messed up

how many times the new person get lost trying to find the building that we are working in ..

the guy get the phone call from the wife about talking to the boss about getting back to a normal set of hours so they could have a socalled normal 9 to 5 workday life ..

misplacedcircus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that people tend to forget that the 7-inch was a prediction in the media.

Why 7? My guess is that companies wanted Apple to perform in a more realistic form factor for their sub-par products.

Apple overshot, scaled software to experience, and cut cost by eating price by app purchases. If I had a company that was attempting to perform in that market, you bet your bottom dollar that I would try to reverse Apple into a cul-de-sac.

It makes sense. Magical sense.

Most reactions

Latest posts