What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So ~ I just purchased Splashtop!

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds decent. Does it support sound? Also, are videos appear slow and grainy?

It supports streaming sound and video from your home pc. Performance depends on the speed of your connection, so it's better via wifi, okay via 4G, worse with 3G.

Thank you very much! I've been using LogMeIn Ignition but it looks like I know what my next purchase will be.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might help you to understand!

Not really. All it tells me is that Spashtop has a password option,not how it punches a hole in the home firewall. Guess I better visit their site and read the FAQ.

And I'm back.

Turns out Splashtop requires a port forword AND their special software on your home computer. I think I'd rather use standard RDP or VNC and a port forward. One less piece of software to break...

For those who are doing this sort of thing you should check out DYNDNS.COM

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For those who are doing this sort of thing you should check out DYNDNS.COM

I checked it out and I don't see the advantages for me. I want to access and run my home pc. That service seems to provide similar access for free, but requires other clients and more configuration, to save 99 cents. About the only thing that interested me was dynamic IP hosting, but Splashtop requires an IP address rather than a URL, I don't think it would help. Why would you choose this over Splashtop?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will I still be able to access my home pc from far away if it is asleep? Does it only wake up when it is "called" by the iPad or does it have to be pants-on the whole time?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DYNDNS allows you to register an easily remembered name that will (if you use the free software) always be correct and up to date. Using an IP address only works if the address doesn't change. We've had customers whose ISP supplied address changes a oule of times a year, breaking port forwarded connections that were based on the ip address.

If you rely on the ip address you get from your ISP to connect you should confirm that you are getting a static address or have a fall back plan for how you will connect when the address changes.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will I still be able to access my home pc from far away if it is asleep? Does it only wake up when it is "called" by the iPad or does it have to be pants-on the whole time?

Splashtop supports Wake On LAN, so it should be able to wake your PC if it's connected via ethernet cable; I've never tried it. I leave my pc on at all times, though I turn the monitor off and set the drive to time out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marie....as a friend I urge you to GET RID OF THAT SPYWARE INFEST GOOGLE CHROME!!!!

:(

Ummm, and where is your proof in that??

Chrome has been the best, most stable and most reliable browser I've ever used...are you just a google conspiracy theorist?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marie....as a friend I urge you to GET RID OF THAT SPYWARE INFEST GOOGLE CHROME!!!!

Chrome has been the best, most stable and most reliable browser I've ever used...are you just a google conspiracy theorist?

Ya know, Digi. I have to say I was thinking about this and my scans never come up with anything....

How do you know that Google Chrome is bad?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you rely on the ip address you get from your ISP to connect you should confirm that you are getting a static address or have a fall back plan for how you will connect when the address changes.

I've thought about this (I mention it the instructions I wrote) but I don't see how DYDNS is a fix, as it doesn't appear to assign you an IP address, which is what Splashtop requires.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ya know, Digi. I have to say I was thinking about this and my scans never come up with anything....

Do a search on Google about Chrome being Spyware. Use Firefox. 100x better.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Do a search on Google about Chrome being Spyware. Use Firefox. 100x better.

I don't buy into google sky net bs. Firefox is unstable garbage.

Most reactions