What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SplashTop help please!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So our AC went out and we are at a hotel ~ dogs and all! I hate Sacramento so much.

I have my iPad and was thinkin I could access my desktop thru splashTop.

That'd be a Hell No. It just says "can't access your computer"

How come? I really have so much work tom do that is on my flash drive in my computer.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
So our AC went out and we are at a hotel ~ dogs and all! I hate Sacramento so much.

How come? I really have so much work tom do that is on my flash drive in my computer.

Did you enter your Gmail address and password on both the iPad and the desktop? Or, did you try the port forwarding approach? You need to have done one or the other...

I think tomorrow is going to be the hottest day. After that it should cool off a bit. Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:

Did you enter your Gmail address and password on both the iPad and the desktop? Or, did you try the port forwarding approach? You need to have done one or the other...

I think tomorrow is going to be the hottest day. After that it should cool off a bit. Sorry to hear that you are having problems.

I didn't enter my gmail address on either. It didn't ask me to. But splash top is always running on my desk top.

Do I even wanna know what the "port forwarding approach" is? I don't think I could wrap my brain around that one at this time.

When I am at home in another room and want to access my desktop, I don't remember entering my email and password.

Did I?:eek:

So I am sitting in this hotel room, which is very nice and hella cold, smells like weed, though....

And I can't access my desktop? Man.:(

You are in the Bay Area ~ it will be cooler for you. Not up here in Sac. I hate it. I actually cried today. Who cries over weather?

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there was someone that could log into your PC locally and start up gmail you might be able to access it?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You use the gmail approach when outside your home wifi....when within home wifi...no need to use the "Internet discovery" option.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there was someone that could log into your PC locally and start up gmail you might be able to access it?

Rog ~ are you asking me if there is someone at my home to access my desktop?

We are all here, babe. It is by now 150 degrees in my little house.:(

I don't understand why it won't connect. I am five min from home and on wifi. And ST is running on my desktop.

I'm not getting this, am I?

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't need to do anything while on your own home network. However, for remote access via the Internet you will have to enter your Gmail address into the Splashtop software on both devices which is a snap to do. No, you don't want to do the port forwarding and it's no longer necessary. The only bad news is that if you want the connection tonight, you have to go home and get that part of it done.

It's relatively cool here now, but was a lot warmer earlier, a few miles east is probably similar to Sacramento.

I hope you can work it out, although you might want to take take a small break. Have a great 4th SweetP! :)

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your not worried about the home PC overheating. I would consider sending someone home to setup the splashtop client to use the gmail login for locating it on the internet. You'd probably need to set the PC to not go to sleep though. Depends on how long your staying in the hotel and how long it would take to set everything up at home.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is by now 150 degrees in my little house.:(

Hopefully not... if it's in a confined space...could either auto-shutdown or get so hot that it melts the solder and pop the chips off the motherboard.

The Internet discovery/gmail approach works like a charm when outside home wifi network.

Last edited:

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Failing the GMail approach, you need to find your home internet's real IP address. If whatever you find starts with 192...that ain't it!

There's no real good way to do that remotely, sadly. You really need to be at home to rig that up. Or at the very least, someone at home, like the other posters said.

OR...would you by any freak chance have you IP address remembered/written into your notes? I use the notes app for that. :D

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya, I setup a free dyndns account when I was playing with splashtop.

I went back to using VNC for iPad.

I don't like the way on splashtop the cursor is under your finger. VNC puts the cursor to the side so it is not hidden beneath my finger and it allows for more accurate placement of the cursor.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
So I am sitting in this hotel room, which is very nice and hella cold, smells like weed, though....
You see, things aren't all that bad after all!
:D

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya, I setup a free dyndns account when I was playing with splashtop.

I went back to using VNC for iPad.

I don't like the way on splashtop the cursor is under your finger. VNC puts the cursor to the side so it is not hidden beneath my finger and it allows for more accurate placement of the cursor.

I go back and forth between a free VNC app and Splashtop. I find the refresh rate is better on Splashtop, and it has sound. But sometimes VNC works better.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I went to the Internet discovery page in ST and entered my email and password. Signed in and it said " this computer was found "

But it won't connect.

I think I'm doomed for the night ~

and I just know the bed bugs are gonna get me.:(

If I never come back....

Most reactions