What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHSH Blobs FAQ

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To answer your question, you must update to the newest iOS (if you don't have blobs) or whatever Apple is still signing. The newest iOS came out yesterday, 5.1.1.. Also Apple quit signing 5.0 a while ago

No!

If you are on iOS 5.0.1 and wish to jail break, do NOT upgrade to the new firmware version (5.1.1). DO NOT!

As of this writing, we do not know if the new firmware fixes any exploits being used to develop a jail break for iOS 5.1. Until a jail break is released or until you are told to upgrade - by a respected/known member of the jail break community - the only action you want to do when a new firmware version is released is nothing!

And, mrMedo_90: If you are on 4.3.3, then the only way to keep your jail break is to stay where you are. However, if you want to upgrade and then wait for a jail break, then upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 NOW. You must do the upgrade within the next few hours before Apple closes the window for 5.0.1. Once that window is closed, you will have missed your chance and will not be able to go to 5.0.1.

If you choose to move up, download the 5.0.1 IPSW from here (make sure it's the right one for your device): http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=24939

But, if you are going to do it, t'wer best done now. That signing window for 5.0.1 is closing fast. So, you have a few hours to decide whether to give up a jail break on 4.3.3 and move to iOS 5.0.1 in order to wait for a jail break - or keep waiting. Regardless, that window will close soon...

Marilyn

RagiingRedneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, first, you don't need to be on a particular firmware in order to save blobs for it. Tiny Umbrella will save blobs for whichever firmware Apple is currently signing. Doesn't matter AT ALL which iOS your iPad is on.

Which is good news for you, because you do NOT want to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. If you upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, you will not be able to downgrade back to iOS 5.0.1 - as it stands today. While we still encourage people to save blobs "just in case," they don't work for the iPad2 and once you've upgraded, you're stuck there.

In addition, it's not Tiny Umbrella that you use to restore a firmware. All Tiny Umbrella does is save the SHSH blob and then act as a server for the actual jail breaking program to do the work. And, so far, Tiny Umbrella has never not properly saved a blob, that I am aware of.

So, run Tiny Umbrella now, while the window is still open for iOS 5.0.1 blobs. Then, in a short while, I am sure the developer of Tiny Umbrella will update it so it can save the blobs for 5.1.1. Then, save those. But, there is nothing to do right now except wait for a jail break, whether it's for 5.0.1 or 5.1.1.

Again, all I can tell you today is: Until further notice, save 5.0.1 blobs and do NOT move off of iOS 5.0.1 if you want to jail break.

Marilyn

Thanks a lot! I didn't know that it saved the newest blobs. But you said 5.0.1 can't be downgraded to, I'm only interested in 5.1.. If I did this (which I'm not, this is just out of curiosity) would I be able to downgrade to 5.1?

RagiingRedneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No!

If you are on iOS 5.0.1 and wish to jail break, do NOT upgrade to the new firmware version (5.1.1). DO NOT!

As of this writing, we do not know if the new firmware fixes any exploits being used to develop a jail break for iOS 5.1. Until a jail break is released or until you are told to upgrade - by a respected/known member of the jail break community - the only action you want to do when a new firmware version is released is nothing!

And, mrMedo_90: If you are on 4.3.3, then the only way to keep your jail break is to stay where you are. However, if you want to upgrade and then wait for a jail break, then upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 NOW. You must do the upgrade within the next few hours before Apple closes the window for 5.0.1. Once that window is closed, you will have missed your chance and will not be able to go to 5.0.1.

If you choose to move up, download the 5.0.1 IPSW from here (make sure it's the right one for your device): Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad

But, if you are going to do it, t'wer best done now. That signing window for 5.0.1 is closing fast. So, you have a few hours to decide whether to give up a jail break on 4.3.3 and move to iOS 5.0.1 in order to wait for a jail break - or keep waiting. Regardless, that window will close soon...

Marilyn

There is already a tethered jailbreak for 5.1.1 for some iOS devices

RagiingRedneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, first, you don't need to be on a particular firmware in order to save blobs for it. Tiny Umbrella will save blobs for whichever firmware Apple is currently signing. Doesn't matter AT ALL which iOS your iPad is on.

Which is good news for you, because you do NOT want to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. If you upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, you will not be able to downgrade back to iOS 5.0.1 - as it stands today. While we still encourage people to save blobs "just in case," they don't work for the iPad2 and once you've upgraded, you're stuck there.

In addition, it's not Tiny Umbrella that you use to restore a firmware. All Tiny Umbrella does is save the SHSH blob and then act as a server for the actual jail breaking program to do the work. And, so far, Tiny Umbrella has never not properly saved a blob, that I am aware of.

So, run Tiny Umbrella now, while the window is still open for iOS 5.0.1 blobs. Then, in a short while, I am sure the developer of Tiny Umbrella will update it so it can save the blobs for 5.1.1. Then, save those. But, there is nothing to do right now except wait for a jail break, whether it's for 5.0.1 or 5.1.1.

Again, all I can tell you today is: Until further notice, save 5.0.1 blobs and do NOT move off of iOS 5.0.1 if you want to jail break.

Marilyn

Any I just tried to save them and it just saved a second copy of 5.1 (the iOS I'm on)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I didn't know that it saved the newest blobs. But you said 5.0.1 can't be downgraded to, I'm only interested in 5.1.. If I did this (which I'm not, this is just out of curiosity) would I be able to downgrade to 5.1?

No.

The function (and usefulness) of blobs got changed, by Apple, with iOS 5. I'm not going to re-type or repeat the jail break community's explanation, but the gist of it is that saving blobs is not like it used to be with older iOS versions. Essentially, as it stands today, saved blobs or no, if you upgrade to a new firmware version, you are there for the duration or until you move up to yet another newer version. That's the best rule of thumb.

So, it becomes even more important to make sure to not move to a newer firmware until/unless told to (or unless there is an existing jail break there).

And, although they are of no use right now, we do suggest that everyone save blobs when the tools are available to do so. It doesn't hurt anything and maybe someday, a member of the the jail breaking community can figure out a way to use them. But, they're tiny files and Tiny Umbrella is free - why not save them, just in case...?

The "game" was changed with iOS 5 and the way Apple now verifies firmware on the iDevices. The only way for one who wants to jail break to play is to always stay a step behind and stay up-to-date on the latest news in order to be ready to act. It's all we can do (especially those of us who couldn't code our way out of a paper bag)...

That help it explain it more? I'm probably repeating everything f4780y has said before ... so apologies for the redundancy. It IS important info, though.

Marilyn

RagiingRedneck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No.

The function (and usefulness) of blobs got changed, by Apple, with iOS 5. I'm not going to re-type or repeat the jail break community's explanation, but the gist of it is that saving blobs is not like it used to be with older iOS versions. Essentially, as it stands today, saved blobs or no, if you upgrade to a new firmware version, you are there for the duration or until you move up to yet another newer version. That's the best rule of thumb.

So, it becomes even more important to make sure to not move to a newer firmware until/unless told to (or unless there is an existing jail break there).

And, although they are of no use right now, we do suggest that everyone save blobs when the tools are available to do so. It doesn't hurt anything and maybe someday, a member of the the jail breaking community can figure out a way to use them. But, they're tiny files and Tiny Umbrella is free - why not save them, just in case...?

The "game" was changed with iOS 5 and the way Apple now verifies firmware on the iDevices. The only way for one who wants to jail break to play is to always stay a step behind and stay up-to-date on the latest news in order to be ready to act. It's all we can do (especially those of us who couldn't code our way out of a paper bag)...

That help it explain it more? I'm probably repeating everything f4780y has said before ... so apologies for the redundancy. It IS important info, though.

Marilyn

That cleared a whole lot of stuff up.. thank you very much!

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently there is an up coming Redsn0w Release that will allow you to downgrade latest iOS devices. You will however need your SHSH blobs to do so.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep! Isn't that exciting!??

That's why we've been telling everyone from Day One to save any/all blobs, "just in case" because someone in the JB community may figure out how to use them. And see? They have!

That is awesome news and will be helpful for a lot of people when it's released...

Marilyn

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of us (namely me) who didn't know anything about Blobs until tonight and missed the 5.1 deadline and who also happen to have a 3... What's the course of action.... Wait and hope a 5.1 jailbreak doesn't require a blob backup, or update to 5.1.1 and wait.....

I'm new to the whole jail breaking arena, and came from/still have android development stuffs. So it's rather odd this whole blob thing. But I understand it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kakaouskia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad may have been jail broken in the past or it may be jailbroken now. To see if it is, look for a brown box icon titled Cydia (or do a spotlight search for Cydia). If you find it, the iPad is jail broken.

You cannot put iOS 4.3.3 on that iPad unless you have the SHSH blobs for it. See the first post in the thread for the steps on downloading and using Tiny Umbrella to see if you have saved SHSH blobs.

If you do not have SHSH blobs, the only thing you can do is upgrade the iOS to 5.1. Again, no SHSH blobs = iOS 5.1.

The easiest way to upgrade to the newest iOS is to connect the iPad to iTunes and select restore. That way, you can let iTunes do all the work while you click a few confirmation buttons. This will put the latest firmware on the iPad and it will be as if you just bought it fresh from the store. Then, you can start putting apps on it (I would recommend using only one Apple ID so as to keep things simple going forward).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

As promised, here are the "results" of the update:

It turns out that the iPad was indeed jail broken - I managed to find Cydia on it. Predictably, whoever did the jailbreak did not bother to save any SHSH blobs so no luck there :(

I installed tiny umbrella, saved the current SHSH and had iTunes do the update to the latest IOS as the one on the iPad (3.2.1) was hopelessly out of date

So now the iPad is running 5.1.1 and after a brief 10 minutes test I can say it is a touch slower and the keyboard a bit laggy, but overall experience is acceptable; at least I got rid of the multiple Apple IDs issue. Since the wife is only using it for browsing and social media, I believe 5.1.1 will be fine and I can afford to wait for an untethered jailbreak :)

Worst case scenario, the local apple dealer is having an offer at the moment taking in your old iPad in exchange for a decent amount of cash, provided you buy a new iPad2 / iPad3 - you can save around 15% - 25% of the (inflated as I do not live in the States) price depending on the model. Still a good offer :)

Again, many thanks for the help and keep up the good work on this forum :)

kakaouskia

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those of us (namely me) who didn't know anything about Blobs until tonight and missed the 5.1 deadline and who also happen to have a 3... What's the course of action.... Wait and hope a 5.1 jailbreak doesn't require a blob backup, or update to 5.1.1 and wait.....

I'm new to the whole jail breaking arena, and came from/still have android development stuffs. So it's rather odd this whole blob thing. But I understand it.

I really can't tell from your post what version of firmware you have (and do you have one or two iPads?).

However and regardless, my recommendation is to do nothing at this time. A jail breaker's best course of action, especially if there is news of an impending jail break is to sit still, hang tight and wait. One should never upgrade to any firmware on their own unless that version of firmware has been proven to be jail breakable.

Once the jail break is released, that's the time to make a decision on what to do.

So, hang in there! And, if you have that stooooopid red badge sitting on your Settings icon, just learn to love it. When I was waiting for the jail break on the iPhone 4S, I adopted my red dot and called it Bob. This one on my iPad3? His name is George! :D

We wait....

Marilyn

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really can't tell from your post what version of firmware you have (and do you have one or two iPads?).

However and regardless, my recommendation is to do nothing at this time. A jail breaker's best course of action, especially if there is news of an impending jail break is to sit still, hang tight and wait. One should never upgrade to any firmware on their own unless that version of firmware has been proven to be jail breakable.

Once the jail break is released, that's the time to make a decision on what to do.

So, hang in there! And, if you have that stooooopid red badge sitting on your Settings icon, just learn to love it. When I was waiting for the jail break on the iPhone 4S, I adopted my red dot and called it Bob. This one on my iPad3? His name is George! :D

We wait....

Marilyn

I have just one. This is my first iOS device... Il just sit tight. I moved settings onto my second page lol.

These are the times I Enjoy android... Running just about anything I want is a nice advantage :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Icegie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! Im New Here! By the way i have ipad 2 (Not Jailbroken) that has 5.1 Firmware -(1st step) okie.. den i want to downgrade it to IOS 5.0.1 to be Jailbroken.

im reading some good articles and downloaded the 5.0.1v and 5.1.1v and also latest redsnow (Almost Complete in Downgrading my IPAD2 den Making it JB by Absinthe because of UNTETHERED 5.0.1) my only problem is going back to the 1st step how i can get the SHSH 5.0.1 they're saying to complete all the req. needed in downgrading im i gonna use redsnow ?

Thanks Hoping you reply soon! - Icegie

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But the SHSH blobs are specific to each individual unit. Unless you saved them while Apple was still signing 5.01 then you're out of luck. Good thing is that it sounds like a JailBreak for 5.1.1 will be released tomorrow (if not tomorrow, real soon) then you can just upgrade to 5.1.1 and jailbreak that. You should save your blobs for 5.1 and 5.1.1 now before Apple releases a new version and stops signing these. There should be instructions in the first couple of posts in this thread telling you how to save the blobs for your unit.

ToetullNoob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears this forum has not had a post in a while. Hopefully someone will see this who can answer my questions. I have tried to compile as much knowledge as I could before I posted my question. I have read the "Jailbreaking Explained," "Jailbreaking Methods," and this sticky but I just wanted a quick confirmation of some information. I'll try to give as much as I know and please let me know if I am wrong in any area. I recently bought a used iPad 1 (64 GB, wifi if that matters). I don't know it's iOS/jailbreaking history prior to my purchase. It is not currently jailbroken and it is running iOS 5.1.1. I plan to jailbreak using the Absinthe method. I have read a few places that it is usually the easiest method for users who are not that technically savvy. I don't entirely understand the blobs, do I need to try to save them before I jailbreak or after? As I said, I just bought it and am unaware of its prior history. Do blobs only enable me to go back to previous versions, or would I also not be able to update should say 5.1.2 (or another newer update) become available? I am really only planning on jailbreaking for one app, so if I would be putting myself at risk as far as keeping my iPad up to date, it might not be worth it for me. And again, if I have made wrong assumptions in anything I've posted, please let me know. Thanks for any and all help! Matt

Most reactions

Latest posts