What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I update?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read that thread about the recent updates. I have no issues with my iPad. It is fast and cool.:D

Do we have to up date? It is going to update eventually anyways when I connect to iTunes, right?

Do things typically update smoothly?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I have been telling people:

Its totally up to you. I updated with zero issues at all whatsoever and I am glad I did. Obviously other people here have had "issues". I suspect that some, not all, are not telling the whole story. Some people may have jailbroken their iPad and left that little detail out and some people here (judging by some of the posts) are just not that "tech-savvy" and may have done something wrong.

I have not seen where this update "bricks" an iPad making it totally unusable. Some may have lost apps or data, but there is usually always a way to restore an iPad to the point where you can start over from scratch if necessary.

Its your iPad. I can't make that decision for you.

As far as updating when you connect to iTunes, it does not automatically update your iPad. It just notifies you that an update is available and asks you what you want to do.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've updated my Touches, iPhone and iPad several times over the years and all went smoothly. I did 3.2.1 for the iPad last week and it was as quick and painless as could be.

I assume you'll want to upgrade to iOS4 when it's released for the iPad, so you'll be updating eventually.

I would suggest you do this before updating: transfer all purchases to iTunes, manually do a backup of the iPad, THEN do your update.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I have been telling people:

Its totally up to you.

Lol! That was funny. I understand, though. I am not afraid of losing much, as i don't have that many apps and all my pics and music is on my computer too. I guess I just don't want to change the way my iPad runs.

If we apps are lost that we have paid for, can we get them re-installed again?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Yes, the apps you bought are tied to your account, and can be downloaded as manny times as needed.

Go ahead and update. It's really not that big of a deal..... Be sure you have a good charge on your battery and let er rip....But don't sit and watch it, that will make it take longer....

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've updated my Touches, iPhone and iPad several times over the years and all went smoothly. I did 3.2.1 for the iPad last week and it was as quick and painless as could be.

I assume you'll want to upgrade to iOS4 when it's released for the iPad, so you'll be updating eventually.

I would suggest you do this before updating: transfer all purchases to iTunes, manually do a backup of the iPad, THEN do your update.

Yes I want to upgrade. How does that work? Do we get a whole new iPad? what do think the cost will be?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the apps you bought are tied to your account, and can be downloaded as manny times as needed.

Go ahead and update. It's really not that big of a deal..... Be sure you have a good charge on your battery and let er rip....But don't sit and watch it, that will make it take longer....

Great! I will do it. You made me feel better about it.

I think:D

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iOS4 update will be just like the 3.2.1 update: just plug into iTunes and click update.

The update will either be free or a nominal cost. For example, when the Touch was 2.x and the 3.x was released, it cost $10 to update. Rumors are flying saying iOS4 will be free and rumors are flying saying it will cost.

It's a software/firmware update, so you won't get anything hardware related like a camera for the iPad. :)

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad iOS4 is the same as what is available for the iPhone now. You can read up on all the details, but the two biggest are multitasking and folders.

If the app has been updated by the developer to be iOS4 compatible, then if you click the Home button and go into another app, then decide to return the first app, it will be where you last left it. E.g. if you were in the middle of a sudoku game, you will be able to fast switch to where you left off instead of having to wait for the app to reload.

As for folders, you can create folders and then put up to 12 apps in per folder, thus increasing the number of apps you can have on your iPad. Makes it easier to group your apps and reduce the amount of page scrolling you have to do.

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As for folders, you can create folders and then put up to 12 apps in per folder, thus increasing the number of apps you can have on your iPad. Makes it easier to group your apps and reduce the amount of page scrolling you have to do.

This is what I'm looking forward to.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Folders

Yeah, I updated my iPhone a while back and the folders upgrade is great. Let's you manage your pages and apps much better. Looking forward to the OS4 upgrade for the iPad. Why would anyone assume that the upgrade would cost them? It was free for the iPhone which makes me think it'll be free for the iPad, as well. IMO ;)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The update improves wifi connection and other small things that speed up operation
Your data is backed up prior to upgrade so don't stress
Just do it.......
Col Australia

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I like this!

I see...

Why would anyone assume that the upgrade would cost them? It was free for the iPhone which makes me think it'll be free for the iPad, as well. IMO ;)

I don't have an iPhone and know nothing about updating them or up dating anything or if it costs.

Be funny if you were wrong, dontcha think?:D

The update improves wifi connection and other small things that speed up operation
Your data is backed up prior to upgrade so don't stress
Just do it.......
Col Australia

I will ~ only because you said to.:)

Software updated today without incident.

Good!

Most reactions