What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question about ipad and itunes

shagsipad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad1 that I have had for quite awhile now and I have never updated it. Im still running 4.2 because I never really wanted to mess up a good thing. I've just heard too many horror stories about things not working right after updates. So I figured why bother if everything is working fine....right? Well anyways I'm gonna get to the question. Last night I finally decided that it was time to update as there are a few apps that I want that require 4.3 and one of my paid apps was updated a few weeks ago is no longer working because it requires 4.3. Ok so I was syncing and all that on iTunes then it came time to update...I took the plunge and hit the update button. And a message popped up saying that I have apps that can transfer files to iTunes and that it is recommended. What's that mean? So I never updated. Help!

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sync your apps. Some of your apps may have documents inside and using iTunes on pc (I don't know where because I don't use a pc) you should be able to backup or copy them documents to your pc. Try this and I'm sure others will pop up with some other ideas. Good luck.

OP
S

shagsipad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will do that. Thnx. I kind of thought it automatically did that during the initial sync that happens when I connect to iTunes. I'm gonna go hook it up right now. I'll let u know k. Thnx again.

OP
S

shagsipad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I want to sync apps? Or just transfer files from certain apps? Let me see if I understand, if I sync apps that is putting apps from my iTunes to my iPad right? If so I don't want to do that.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a bit difficult because I haven't used that iTunes for years. If you click on the device on the left it used to come up with a box where you can select apps and you can tick or untick each of the apps you want, I would check the apps you got for the documents inside also, and back them up.
It's really difficult for me too guess without doing you any harm by mistake. Is it just asking for a backup to be done? You should try to back up everything you can regularly really to avoid things like this. You don't always have to update it this way because you can select to upgrade or not, if not then you can sync as normal. Is there much on this that you do not want to lose? Are all your apps already backed up with iTunes? Hopefully someone experienced can help a bit further? It's hard to help without seeing what your doing. Il help as much as I can though.

OP
S

shagsipad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I backed it up and transferred everything to my iTunes. I clicked update again and now it's telling me that "updating to iOS 5.1.1 will delete all the apps on my iPad. To preserve your apps apply this update on the computer where you sync them". What do I do?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the original iTunes to which you initially synced the iPad? You have to use that iTunes (on a particular computer) or else you will lose your apps. They are easily recovered - but not the data.

So, use the iTunes you used to first sync the iPad.

Marilyn

Last edited:

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use the computer where you sync with iTunes. After you have synced and update to 5.1.1, just resync from backup, your apps will be back

OP
S

shagsipad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I did all that step by step. I hit the update icon and it says the same thing as before...but that is ok because I just backed up everything right? And after the update do I have to manually restore or does it do it itself? I think I'm just gonna hit the dang update icon and quit being a sissy. Lol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes. And the step after will be to re-sync you apps and content; which is why it asked if you wanted to transfer/copy apps as the first step. It should do each of these steps automatically (with a reboot in between each), with no more than a dialog asking if you want to continue.

Edit. Just noticed the times. This is probably way too late to do you any good. Hope it all worked out for you.

OP
S

shagsipad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok everybody thank you all so much. It took forever and it was kinda scary...but I did it!!! So far so good! Now I just hope everything still works good when I hook it up to my Alesis io dock. I've heard some bad stuff about ios5 and the io dock. Again thanx everybody!!

Most reactions

Latest posts