What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SDK on the Ipad

skolyak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the SDK ON the ipad, ie: use the ipad to design apps???? or am I still on the hunt for a cheap mac laptop to do this with?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the SDK ON the ipad, ie: use the ipad to design apps???? or am I still on the hunt for a cheap mac laptop to do this with?

I believe you will have to buy a computer , for simple reason no space allowed for storage the SDK

emilyjane918

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I advise you go to Apple Store to buy an iPad. I picked up my 16GB iPad at an Apple Store. There were lines, free drinks, and lots of very excited Apple employees. Best part was that (unlike the iPod Touch) the iPad was fully charged and did not need to be connected to a computer before I could play around with it. Apple is getting better and better with each new product.

mgamber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad isn't a Mac, it's an iPad. You need a Mac to do any kind of development for Apple products. You might be able to get away with a Hackintosh but I'd just bite the bullet and get an actual Mac (which is what I did, in fact). Don't be too cheap, either. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. A low end Macbook will run the tools but you'll be waiting forever at every step of the process.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I will have to agree with above, to a certain point. You can totally run xcode on the 999 dollar macbook, but SDK on the pad is a complete no go. Even if somebody found a way to port it, it would be a pain in the rear.
On the other hand, you can absolutely create some graphic illustrations and write code (if youre fluent enough) on the go, using notes and whatever illustrator app you want. (no testing, correction, etc though).
:)

Smith360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To develop with Xcode (iPhone and iPad SDK), you must have at least Mac OS X 10.6.2 .You will aslo have to buy a new mac of course and not an iPad.

Mac Tech

amir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Apple Keynote to quickly prototype apps, test them on the iPad, then hire a developer from oDesk/eLance to develop them for me. Works like a charm :)

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have considered getting into XCode development but the price of a Mac is not something I want to pay for. Anyone developing on a Mac Mini?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have considered getting into XCode development but the price of a Mac is not something I want to pay for. Anyone developing on a Mac Mini?

Mac Mini is perfect for developing with xcode. I had never used MAC's before I got mine. I decided to get a MAC mini due to the fact that they were about $550. I made a few iphone apps and made the $550 back from them.

and on top of the, my mac mini is now my main computer and I hardly ever use my more powerful windows 7 PC.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mac Mini is perfect for developing with xcode. I had never used MAC's before I got mine. I decided to get a MAC mini due to the fact that they were about $550. I made a few iphone apps and made the $550 back from them.

and on top of the, my mac mini is now my main computer and I hardly ever use my more powerful windows 7 PC.

I was in the market for a Mac Mini to begin iPad development, so I was looking for them in the local classifieds. I ended up finding a used white MacBook for $650, which was just a little bit higher than my budget. I got it, tho, and it works great in building apps using Xcode. Now I need to learn more about Objective-C. (It's also taking me awhile to familiarize myself with OS X, which I have not used much, having used PCs for years.)

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

I was in the market for a Mac Mini to begin iPad development, so I was looking for them in the local classifieds. I ended up finding a used white MacBook for $650, which was just a little bit higher than my budget. I got it, tho, and it works great in building apps using Xcode. Now I need to learn more about Objective-C. (It's also taking me awhile to familiarize myself with OS X, which I have not used much, having used PCs for years.)

I suggest you go sit in for the free into to MAC workshop at the apple store. You may not learn a lot but there will be few things you will pick up, ask them any questions you have. heck, its free.

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest you go sit in for the free into to MAC workshop at the apple store. You may not learn a lot but there will be few things you will pick up, ask them any questions you have. heck, its free.

Oh, good idea. I didn't even know about that.

Most reactions

Latest posts