What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor: iPad 3 to employ a $70-80 price hike?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score

MacRumors points to a single Sina Weibo user who posts what is purported to be iPad 3 cost premiums over the iPad 2s currently on the market (above). If true (and it seems a stretch at this point that Chinese locals would have US prices), it would be the first time that Apple has deviated from its original price matrix.

There has been talk that Apple will keep its iPad 2s in circulation at a reduced cost, thereby making another tier of product. Best Buy is currently selling iPad 2s for $50 off across the board for instance and there have been several sales on specific iPad models with increasing frequency. Apple charges $419 currently for an iPad 2 refurb.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
this is price rumor for america?? if so i will just get a ipad2 for much cheaper

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, the second column indicates price in USD ! I dont know if this price is going to deter a lot of people from not going for the iPad-3 who at the moment sound like all guns blazing as far as buying it is concerned :D

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This is not accurate...

Bestbuy has already slashed iPad 2 prices by $50. The iPad 2 will not remain at $499.

This is more likely showing the price apple valued the units at to insure the units for shipping in case anything was to happen to them. When you insure something during shipping you provide a value for the items being shipped.

But my guess is just as good as anyone else's.
Who's not to say some random person just printed out this paper with prices on it.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
This is not accurate...

Bestbuy has already slashed iPad 2 prices by $50. The iPad 2 will not remain at $499.

This is more likely showing the price apple valued the units at to insure the units for shipping in case anything was to happen to them. When you insure something during shipping you provide a value for the items being shipped.

But my guess is just as good as anyone else's.
Who's not to say some random person just printed out this paper with prices on it.

I haven't been able to confirm that this price drop on the ipad 2 is permanent. Could be one of our weekly sales.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I haven't been able to confirm that this price drop on the ipad 2 is permanent. Could be one of our weekly sales.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Yeah I dunno but apple sets the prices not bestbuy unless they made some sort of agreement. Apple has a strict price point that they force all resellers to stick to. This is why you see stores offer sales in the form of buy an iPod/iPad and get a $25/$50 gift card instead of an actual price cut.

This whole thing is very odd.

Maybe apple made an agreement for Bestbuy to drop the price ahead of other retailers simply because they sell more iPads than other retailers and apple is using it to get more press. Apple loves to get their upcoming products on peoples minds and buzzing in the news.

Last edited:

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I dunno but apple sets the prices not bestbuy unless they made some sort of agreement.

Very odd indeed.
I call it price fixing and it's probably illegal.
There is something else going on.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Apple adds improvements I am sure people will understand the cost rise. Anyway I am sure they will sell very well here in USA.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not Apple's way of doing things to raise the cost like that. They always have had a base laptop at $999, and the price on iPods is consistent. If they do not do an scheduled upgrade, they sometimes reduce the price. They plan on any upgrades meeting their price schedule. It influences whether or not they add features, so it is important to them. It may be one of the factors determining the processor used on the iPad 3.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Its not "price fixing"nor is it illegal m8. We would not be that stupid as a company to ruin a relationship the largest consumer electronics company in the world.

It could be a weekly sale, or it could be to move inventory as part of our strategy for when ipad 3 launches. IDK. I'm just happy its even easier to sell accessories with the ipad 2 now XD

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sold my iPad today and i already miss it so much. Feels like my arms have been chopped off!!

Price increase... Oh well thats not gunna stop me
Getting it.

March 7th *fingers crossed*

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sold my iPad today and i already miss it so much. Feels like my arms have been chopped off!!

Price increase... Oh well thats not gunna stop me
Getting it.

March 7th *fingers crossed*

There's no way I could do this. I'd go into iPad withdrawal and probably start sucking my thumb while in fetal position.

Most reactions

Latest posts