What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retina screen - only on iPad

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My post is there with specifics, and if you're still confused, I can't help you.

Pls explain me how was it specific that you were talking about weren't u talking about Amoled screens in general.Did u mention in specific that u were talking about the Amoled screens on your Samsung Note nope, I don't think so...

I I don't judge screens I can't see; I can speak about screens on my devices and that's it. I've mentioned on various threads that my one of my iPad screens has a yellow tint, which has not bothered me, for instance. I don't judge other people's screens, because I've never laid my eyes on them, lol. But that doesn't seem to stop you.

The whole idea of a community forum like this is u exchange ideas, share thoughts and inform people if there is any problem with anything. So if u r not doing that, I don't know what else r u doing .

On various threads, you've posted a lot of things that have made little sense. For instance, you posted on a thread where someone asked for help with activating the smart cover feature, and you gave the wrong answer, because you don't own an iPad, lol.

Lol ! Did someone giving a reality check, hurt your ego ! ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pls explain me how was it specific that you were talking about weren't u talking about Amoled screens in general.Did u mention in specific that u were talking about the Amoled screens on your Samsung Note nope, I don't think so...

See post #9 in this thread.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See post #9 in this thread.

Yes but later on He/She also goes on to talk about Amoled screens in general which is what I was pointing out. Amoled and Super Amoled Plus are different displays....

c.hack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are comparing apples and oranges. Super AMOLED is a screen technology used to illuminate the pixels. Retina refers to pixel density as a function of viewing distance. Most new iDevices use LCD-IPS screens. It depends on the AMOLED screen, but most have tended to be over saturated on unrealistic, making it look like people are wearing makeup or are a cartoon. It certainly grabs the eye, but is not accurate. I have always used IPS displays when I can get them - on the desktop too because of their accuracy and viewing angle.

In any case, I think both S AMOLED and LCD-IPS produce above average quality considering the other terrible technology out there like Motorola's pentile displays and many LCD-TN laptop displays.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are comparing apples and oranges. Super AMOLED is a screen technology used to illuminate the pixels. Retina refers to pixel density as a function of viewing distance. Most new iDevices use LCD-IPS screens. It depends on the AMOLED screen, but most have tended to be over saturated on unrealistic, making it look like people are wearing makeup or are a cartoon. It certainly grabs the eye, but is not accurate. I have always used IPS displays when I can get them - on the desktop too because of their accuracy and viewing angle.

In any case, I think both S AMOLED and LCD-IPS produce above average quality considering the other terrible technology out there like Motorola's pentile displays and many LCD-TN laptop displays.

I didn't start making the comparison someone else did.And when I pointed out oranges are oranges and Apples are Apples ! Boy o Boy how massively it hit someone's Ego ! ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The whole idea of a community forum like this is u exchange ideas, share thoughts and inform people if there is any problem with anything. So if u r not doing that, I don't know what else r u doing .

Lol ! Did someone giving a reality check, hurt your ego ! ;)

You're good for laughs. I'll give you that.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have retina screen on iPhone and iPod touch, and Super AMOLED on Samsung Galaxy Note (a 5" phablet).

Head to head, I see differences in color saturation, but the screen quality seems otherwise comparable. On my devices, the skin tones are much better on the AMOLED screen; on the iDevices, they look washed out and unhealthy by comparison. The pinks and reds are a bit too bright on AMOLED, but they look washed out on my iDevices by comparison.

A lot of it is subjective and depends on what you're used to. Displaymate tested the iPad screen and said the colour reproduction was extremely accurate and close to that of a calibrated reference display. I'm inclined to think that the iPad screen, providing you don't have one of the duff ones with a yellow cast to it, is more accurately displaying colours, just perhaps that some of us find screens which aren't technically as accurate are more pleasing to the eye?

Does anyone have a direct link to the article mentioned by the OP btw?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of it is subjective and depends on what you're used to. Displaymate tested the iPad screen and said the colour reproduction was extremely accurate and close to that of a calibrated reference display. I'm inclined to think that the iPad screen, providing you don't have one of the duff ones with a yellow cast to it, is more accurately displaying colours, just perhaps that some of us find screens which aren't technically as accurate are more pleasing to the eye?

Does anyone have a direct link to the article mentioned by the OP btw?

Agreed on subjectivity. Also have to take into account that individual devices vary, even among the same models.

For me, screen quality is not a priority at this point, because the devices I'd consider buying have hit a high enough standard in general. I rank battery life, storage capacity and weight higher when it comes to mobile devices. My Galaxy Note has shorter battery life than my iPhone and less storage, for instance, but the Note allows the user to replace the battery and use SD cards. (Of course, those are my priorities and various users will have different ones.)

I'd like to see iPads lighten up in weight, but the diffs among iPads 1, 2 and 3 don't strike me as significant, and I don't expect lightening without advances in battery technology.

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed on subjectivity. Also have to take into account that individual devices vary, even among the same models.

I've compared several of the new iPads and I really don't see much variance - at least not as noticeable as the difference from devices with far less precise displays. I'm very sensitive to display accuracy and calibrate all my displays, so to me the iPad is a breath of fresh air... hey a display that comes from the manufacturer that is not turned up to a awful eye catching setting that needs to be calibrated to give you anything natural. I go into peoples homes and they leave their TV's at the showroom eyebleed settings... kills me a little bit... arghhh...

Edit. Note - I specified new Ipad because the iPad 1 and 2's tended toward a more 'eye pleasing' but far less accurate, red shifted, catch your eye at the store setting...

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've compared several of the new iPads and I really don't see much variance - at least not as noticeable as the difference from devices with far less precise displays. I'm very sensitive to display accuracy and calibrate all my displays, so to me the iPad is a breath of fresh air... hey a display that comes from the manufacturer that is not turned up to a awful eye catching setting that needs to be calibrated to give you anything natural. I go into peoples homes and they leave their TV's at the showroom eyebleed settings... kills me a little bit... arghhh...

Edit. Note - I specified new Ipad because the iPad 1 and 2's tended toward a more 'eye pleasing' but far less accurate, red shifted, catch your eye at the store setting...

I've not compared new iPads, so can't say.

It'd be nice if mobile devices allowed users to set display preferences, like on a TV set. That would give everyone the optimal display for preferences and circumstances of use.

I'm not at all into TV sets, but my husband is, and he's always upgrading. The funny thing is the lag: Screens are getting better faster than a lot of the content.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am seeing a common theme in threads in which August posts.

Anyway, losing 50 percent of their brightness in 5 years really destroys resale value.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am seeing a common theme in threads in which August posts.

And I have noticed this in all my posts and threads u, as a good for nothing come as a judge and start poking your nose and then say sorry ! Why don't u just mind your business without poking in someone else's Business !

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
And I have noticed this in all my posts and threads u, as a good for nothing come as a judge and start poking your nose and then say sorry ! Why don't u just mind your business without poking in someone else's Business !

Before this thread gets closed... Sorry if my attempts to help you have come across that way.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before this thread gets closed... Sorry if my attempts to help you have come across that way.

No infact u have never tried to help me u have in all my posts tried to insult me by making nasty comments and I have stayed calm all this while, u have been also advised by moderators to be decent with your language still u don't wanna change and still have a dig at me ! Don't worry with 88 posts it is not your job nor your skill to comment on if this thread gets closed or not. So stop worrying about it and having a go at me ! Yeah !

Most reactions

Latest posts