What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retina Display iPad 3 Looking Unlikely for 2011

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_side.JPG

According to a report on AppleInsider today, the prospect of an iPad 3 with Retina Display is looking unlikely for 2011. A story on DigiTimes on Monday stated that sources within Apple are saying that Apple is looking at using AMOLED technology or a high-resolution full HD-supporting panel for its next iPad in order to improve the quality of the display. However, the sources also contradict themselves somewhat by saying that Apple may steer clear of using AMOLED technology because it is, in the main, controlled by Apple’s rival, Samsung. DigiTimes says that as this work is still only at the early planning stage, it would be very unlikely that the iPad 3 would be released before the end of 2011. The paper's sources emphasise this point by saying that they have had no word whatsoever about any more next gen iPad products coming out this year. The story also quotes component makers as saying that releasing a third iPad this year would “simply bite off†the iPad 2’s share, which is what most people have been saying all along!

Source: AppleInsider | Apple component makers downplay rumors of Retina iPad 3 arriving in 2011

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It'll come
I can wait :)

Wonder if the bezel will disappear with a larger screen, as I like the current size of the iPad?

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much bigger can they make it? The current size seems to be right at the edge of the limit.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG...yes....we need RETINA display on the iPad! The iPad is truly great and the 2 is a nice improvement.
Retina would be amazing, but the iPad 2 was just recently announced, let's fully use it and enjoy it! Let those early speculation on the iPad 3 that won't come out for a year go with the wind ;)
P.S. Hey, iPad guys, for playing and enjoying with the iPad, I found this wiki article catches my eyes:
How to Get and Watch Free Movies on iPad - wikiHow

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh, the reason they wouldn't use an AMOLED display isnt because samsung makes them, because samsung makes like half of the iPad and ipad2. The reason is that an AMOLED screen 10 inches across would double or triple the cost of the iPad. AMOLED screens are amazing and would be a much better step than upping the resolution, but it just won't happen until they get a lot cheaper.

Most reactions