What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restricting access to mail app??

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up already but i can't find anything on it so i'm just gonna ask.

Why is there no option to restrict the mail app out of all the other stuff you can restrict access to? It makes no sense at all! Is there a way to get around this? Or has this been addressed for the next update?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mail accounts can be deactivated in Settings, but the activation/deactivation isn't password-protected.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am guessing that you either want to keep other people out of your Email, but still use the iPad. Or, want to lock younger kids out of Email period.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am guessing that you either want to keep other people out of your Email, but still use the iPad. Or, want to lock younger kids out of Email period.

Well yeah, pretty much. Plus the mail app is much more convenient than using the web browser and it also integrates with some apps so sometimes i kind of need to use it. Creating and deleting the account every time i use it is such a pain. Seriously, why don't we have the option to make this app accessible with a passcode when you can do that to few other apps?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well yeah, pretty much. Plus the mail app is much more convenient than using the web browser and it also integrates with some apps so sometimes i kind of need to use it. Creating and deleting the account every time i use it is such a pain. Seriously, why don't we have the option to make this app accessible with a passcode when you can do that to few other apps?

Can't you just not save your password for Email?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Apple assumes you aren't going to pass your iPad around to everyone. You can just set a passcode to unlock your iPad if you want. But not individual apps that come with the iPad. Maybe other apps, but none from Apple that I have seen.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because Apple assumes you aren't going to pass your iPad around to everyone. You can just set a passcode to unlock your iPad if you want. But not individual apps that come with the iPad. Maybe other apps, but none from Apple that I have seen.

There is a section in the general settings called 'restriction'. Take a look. It lets you restrict access to a few of the built-in apps, like safari and itunes with a passcode. I just don't get why the mail app isn't included in that list.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Can't you just not save your password for Email?

I'm not sure if you used the mail app but there is no option to not remember your password. Once you log in to your email account through the mail app, you are pemanently logged in until you go into settings and delete your account.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am i the only one that's bothered by this? :confused:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You never answered my question...why can't you just lock the entire device?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing Apple figures there are going to be two people using an iPad:

1) The person isn't worried about people going through their email or they don't even have it set up

2) The person can lock the entire device to keep people out.

OP
M

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You never answered my question...why can't you just lock the entire device?

I do have the entire device locked, but that doesn't quite do the job since sometimes i let my friends, co-workers and family members use the ipad.

It's funny because there is an option to lock the youtube, itunes (which is already password protected) and safari app. But the mail app is more sensitive than any of those.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just doesn't bother me. I would never let someone use my iPad that I couldn't trust to stay out of my email. Doesn't mean I don't understand where you're coming from, it just doesn't matter to me.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just doesn't bother me. I would never let someone use my iPad that I couldn't trust to stay out of my email. Doesn't mean I don't understand where you're coming from, it just doesn't matter to me.

1 reason I bought my wife her own....she will leave mine alone...

Most reactions

Latest posts