What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing history on iPad

Harry Briels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To remove all history definetely:
I go to Settings >Safari >Clear history and Website Data >Clear.
When I then open >Advanced >Website data, I still get a list of websites I used before.
When i click >Remove Website Data and then >Remove. Then again select >"Website Data"
I get the whole lot again!

How can I defintely remove all (history) websites I ever used from my iPad?

OP
H

Harry Briels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you updated your iPad to the latest iOS it is capable of running? This may be a bug that has been fixed by an update.

My iOS is 10.3.3.
When I try to update I get the message: IOS 10.3.3 software is up to date.
Harry

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which iPad do you have? This is the iPad 1 Forum and the iPad 1 can only be updated to iOS 5.1.1. Based on the iOS version, you probably own a WiFi only version of the iPad 4.

Last edited:
OP
H

Harry Briels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What iPad do I have?
Just an iPad, model A1458. IOS
How can I determine?
What if I indeed have an iPad wifi only?

OP
H

Harry Briels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter, thank you.
But I still haven't found a solution for the problem I can not solve!
See my first message.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think this could be a bug, as I mentioned. Unfortunately, probably the only way to remove this data would be to restore the iPad to factory settings, but you still might find the problem could return when you reloaded your backup. One thing you could do though is to force quit Safari (double click the Home Button and swipe upwards in the Safari thumbnail).

OP
H

Harry Briels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter:
Your advise is:
One thing you could do though is to force quit Safari (double click the Home Button and swipe upwards in the Safari thumbnail).
My question:
And when I heve force quit Safari, and Safari is gone, "what then"??

Harry

OP
H

Harry Briels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7
I tried to apply your advise:
force quit Safari (double click the Home Button and swipe upwards in the Safari thumbnail).

The Safari button starts to shake but can not be swiped uowards from the screen.
Thereafter nothing chnged as far as removing history is concerten..

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Safari icon is not supposed to start wiggling when you perform that procedure correctly.

Make sure you don’t hold the Home button too long, just double tap it quickly. You will see the App Switcher, with the thumbnails of the apps you’ve used (a kind of “screenshot”) and the app icon at the top of it. Tap the thumbnail and slide it to the top of the screen. Somehow like this:
F497F3E9-427C-40A6-A630-DBE6A2401C19.jpeg

My iPad is up to date with iPadOS 13.3, so it will look different on your device (bigger thumbnails, just one row), but in general, it works the same.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Safari icon is not supposed to start wiggling when you perform that procedure correctly.

Make sure you don’t hold the Home button too long, just double tap it quickly. You will see the App Switcher, with the thumbnails of the apps you’ve used (a kind of “screenshot”) and the app icon at the top of it. Tap the thumbnail and slide it to the top of the screen. Somehow like this:
View attachment 88584
My iPad is up to date with iPadOS 13.3, so it will look different on your device (bigger thumbnails, just one row), but in general, it works the same.

Thanks J.A. You beat me to it!

Most reactions

Latest posts