What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How on earth do you really remove safari history??

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK guys I guess many of you have seen the settings in the ipad regarding the supposid ,delete history, cookies, cache.
But as most will also find it clearly does not work.

As will a google search find the same info, so guys someone please can someone tell me finally how on earth do I properly remove my browser history.

And yes, ive cleared, cach, cookies, history, in settings, and still, when I type any letter in the address bar, it still shows the history.

Can't believe this doesn't work properly, it's a massive security flaw.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Through iFile or SHH can u permanent delete your history, but be carfull if u use one of these, messing with the wrong files can seriously mess upp your iPad.

OP
T

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply,but any chance you can explain that a little clearer to the noob.

Thanks

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both way´s given before requires a jailbroken/jailbreaked iPad.

iFile
iFile Is the easy, It´s a free download app from Cydia or Rock that comes along with the / a jailbreak.
A File Manager and Viewer for your iPad.

iFile is a file manager runnning under user root.
Works for iPhone, iPod touch and now Ipad.
It allows fast navigation through the iPad´s file system. You can directly view files of various types, e.g. movies, sound, text, HTML, Microsoft types, PDF, various compressed formats. For PDF files direct jumping to pages is possible. ZIP packing and compressed file unpacking is also supported. Files can be sent as email attachments. Text files and property lists can be edited. Folders and files can be bookmarked. In addition, files can be uploaded and downloaded from iFile's built-in web server.

ex:
ifile.jpg

SHH (WinSCP or CyberDuck)
A little more trickier then iFile, the features Is like iFile, but the biggest differens Is that i can get access to the iPads "root" remotly by wireless (Wi-FI) from your PC or MAC and from there browse In the depth of the content on your iPad. Suports drag and drop, copy paste etc. Just drag a for ex a movie to somewhere destination on your ipad and viola, there It Is. U can also install ipa or Deb files directly on your ipad without going trough iTunes.
Edit files etc.

ex: WinSCP for PC
15.jpg

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
you guys make this way to complicated.

go into settings and clear your history.
Then open safari and go to the bookmark button.
under history you have the option to clear history, it will then be gone.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you guys make this way to complicated.

go into settings and clear your history.
Then open safari and go to the bookmark button.
under history you have the option to clear history, it will then be gone.

Did u read his post !

His history didn´t dissapear.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree , your making it too complicated. Although tozol deleted it in settings, he didn't clear it in the browser.

Open your safari browser

137da996.png

20bcf932.png

8a700c7f.png

Last edited:

Lightyear04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clearing history from settings or the bookmarks bar does not clear previously viewed urls from open "pages." To clear previously viewed urls, click the double square pages icon in the Safari bar on the iPad and delete all currently populated pages until only a "new page" holder remains.

Jbriggeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done each and every one of these things numerous times and still have 16 url's that pop up when I go to type a new address. They will not clear........period.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have done each and every one of these things numerous times and still have 16 url's that pop up when I go to type a new address. They will not clear........period.

Maybe a picture will help? Lightyear04 included the hint to remove all active pages so that all that remains is 'new page' when you pick new page you need to clear history. Once that part is done, you will have no history.

c2b6fed9.png

Jbriggeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pictures don't matter and neither do red line drawings... I have done all those things in this post and all other posts I have seen everywhere. I have cleared all the current pages and deleted all history, cache, cookies in Safari.

What I finally discovered is that I have some bookmarks saved in Yahoo on my other computer in folders that show up in Safari on my IPad. I went back to Yahoo and deleted those bookmarks. You can also click on the Open Book on Safari on the iPad, click on BOOKMARKS, find the bookmark or bookmarks that are showing up in the URL's, select EDIT, highlight the red circle by the BOOKMARK, press DELETE, to delete the BOOKMARKS, then deleted the HISTORY like previously described, then go to Settings, Safari, then clear the cookies, history and cache, as previously suggested and they finally disappear.

So the problem appears to be in what you have previously bookmarked on Yahoo on this or any other computer and not what is on iPad.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to say that if you type what you have in book marks they will offer an autofill, although this is obviously not a history.

You don't have to import the bookmarks from your computer unless you want them synched. In the iTunes preferences you can choose to synch or not almost everything - apps, music, video, photos, contacts, bookmarks, etc.

OP
T

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add my 2 pence here, I STILL have problems with the address bar history never being removed, so much so I gave up on even trying a while ago.

Example, just this second tried to type www, in the bar on a new page, and, history that I can tell you right now, 1. Not been used for over 2 years , and 2. Things on there that I would really liked to disappear.

Have to say it's crap that there isn't a "proper" definitive "remove" history, that actually does it's job.

Most reactions

Latest posts