What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearing History & Data

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After I surf the 'Net with Safari, it is my habit to clear the cache- that is, go to Settings->Safari->Clear History and Website Data.

I had a motor accident with my iPad aboard, since then, it doesn't clear- the 'Clear...Website Data' is grayed out from the start now, and stays that way, whereas before the accident, it had been bluish and turned gray after I tapped it.

This concerns me; I like my History & Web Data cleared out after I've surfed the 'Net, this doesn't seem to be the case now.

Has anyone had similar experience? Does anyone have a solution to this; it doesn't seem right.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried a reset? Hold down the Home and power buttons until you see the Apple Logo.

You could also give Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings a try. This won't erase anything, but it will default many of your other settings. You'll want to go through them and re-tweak things to your liking.

At first I though maybe it was staying grey because there was no website data to delete, but some experimenting showed that (on my iPad Air) the button turns back to blue every time the Settings app is opened, even if Website data shows 0 bytes under the Advanced settings.

Another way for you to insure you are not saving website data and history is to use Safari's Private mode. You turn this on by tapping on the double square icon, then tapping on Private (so that it is highlighted). The safari browser bar will be grey instead of white, to let you know you are in Private mode.

When in Private mode, all history and data for a site are discarded whenever you close it's tab.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Safari, there's a second option to clear website data:
Scroll down to Advanced and tap it. You'll find Website Data there as well, and if you select it, another possibility to delete all of them at once:
image.png

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. With all the info I get from these forums, plus the links to follow up in the User Guide, that's a lot. Really a lot!

Much Appreciated!

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Everything works fine now. I can go Settings->Safari->Clear History and Website Data (which is blue again) and it works.

I've been going through the User Guide and tweaking as I go; I guess it's related to that, no point guessing exactly what fixed this, I'm just happy to have it back as it should be!

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Latest posts