What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet history disappeared after software update?

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an Ipad 2 with safari. My husband says he went on it and he did an IOS update where the screen went black and it had a whirling circle on screen. When I went on my ipad the day after all the history had disappeared apart from the website data list ( settings-safari) which showed some websites but all with a value of 0.0 KB.

Is it possible that doing a software update could cause this to happen? There were no adult sites etc on the website data list but also some regular sites which I visit regularly were not present on the list.

Is this possible or is he fibbing?! Thanks for any help

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an Ipad 2 with safari. My husband says he went on it and he did an IOS update where the screen went black and it had a whirling circle on screen. When I went on my ipad the day after all the history had disappeared apart from the website data list ( settings-safari) which showed some websites but all with a value of 0.0 KB.

Is it possible that doing a software update could cause this to happen? There were no adult sites etc on the website data list but also some regular sites which I visit regularly were not present on the list.

Hi and welcome to iPF!

I'm not sure, but I think that Safari history should not be affected by a software update.
Do you know what iOS version you had before this happened?

OP
C

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for replying, I'm not sure, is there any way I can find out on my settings or anything?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi thanks for replying, I'm not sure, is there any way I can find out on my settings or anything?

In Settings - General - Software Update you'll see what iOS you use now. You won't see the update history there.

OP
C

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it helps, I've had my ipad since Xmas and don't think the software has been updated since then

OP
C

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the day after he said he had tried to do a software update I had a notification on settings to update again? So is it possible a failed update or even successful one could delete history automatically? Why were the website data all at 0.0 kb and quite a limited list?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the day after he said he had tried to do a software update I had a notification on settings to update again? So is it possible a failed update or even successful one could delete history automatically? Why were the website data all at 0.0 kb and quite a limited list?

You must have been on iOS 6 before this update, there have been 2 other updates in-between that you ignored. Perhaps that was causing the problem. I can't tell you for sure. I hope another iPF member can help there.

OP
C

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, hopefully as I really would like to know how possible/likely it is!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Perhaps while your husband had your iPad he also cleared your cookies, history and data?

image-3918786337.jpg

Settings/safari:

image-2154018948.jpg

OP
C

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do you say that? Would that be the reason for the 0.0 kb reading and limited website data list?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you say that? Would that be the reason for the 0.0 kb reading and limited website data list?

Have no idea why it's reading 0.0 kb reading and website data...however it seems to make sense if one clears the cookies and history. You say that your history has disappeared...which makes me think that this may been done.

There's been several updates since I have had my iPad 2 and never had I had my history disappear like that, unless I chose to reset all my settings or cleared the cookies and history.

OP
C

Chocaholic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks, would clearing cookies and data still leave anything at all listed in website data?

Most reactions