What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading in bed - Needing a Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend a good bit of time with iPad when I'm in the bed. I unwind after a long day at work by reading and playing on the iPad, and Im getting ready to order a stand/lap desk for the iPad.

I saw the review of the Padded Spaces prop it up stand, and that's along the lines of what Im looking for.
Home of the Prop It Up? - Padded Spaces

I'm sure there are others who have faced this situation. I figured there would be more options available, but it's been hard to find a desk like that, which will also prop up the iPad in a standing position.

So before I drop the hammer and place my order, I wanted to see if there were any other products similar to the one from Padded spaces I should consider. Also, I will be ordering a new reading pillow for lack of a better term. A big pillow that sits against the headboard and is shaped kind of like the back of a chair, recommendations on that would be great.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife uses a little TV tray type thing and the official iPad case that folds up when she wants to do that.

We don't do a ton of reading in bed though....read that it's bad for your sleep cycle to do anything but sleep and have sex in bed. Watching TV and reading supposedly leads to worse sleep so we don't really do that often.

PS - Not judging what you do in bed just saying why we haven't tried searching harder for a solution. ;)

OP
T

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's actually correct, studies show its a terrible habit. But Its my bad habit and I need a device to support it lol. My girlfriend and I find exciting places to do the grown up, so maybe it will balance out :)

Oche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That picture is gold!

I had your same issues Teacher's Pet. I searched high and low. Even tried making something myself. Most of the time I'd just use 1-2 pillows depending on the angle I needed.

When I saw the Prop It Up and read a few of the reviews, I gave it a try. Well worth it in my opinion. Very secure feeling, no matter where I'm sitting or lying down. The build quality was really impressive too, doesn't seem to be cheap Chinese.

I've heard from some board members who have talked to the owner that they have some new models coming out soon. But I'm happy for now :D

Gary

OP
T

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input oche, your review and the mini review thread have been helpful. I just didn't want to order it and then find out there was a much better solution if only I had looked around. It seems to me that this is definitely the best option for now.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the groovystand. I'm happy with it. It does the job well, two seperate angles, and i use it for reading and watching movies. Word of caution however, if you order it, you will likely wait about 2 weeks as I believe they are made to order. Also, communication through email was non-existent as well. But like I said, it fits my needs perfectly and wasn't pricey.

jay1417

iPF Noob
Reaction score
get the apple case or the marwear eco view case or the macally bookstand case, the incipio kickstand case or...

just use a photo frame stand, that would cost you around $3 at any hobby shop.

xiutian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about something like this? There should be cheaper alternatives though.

OP
T

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I considered using something like the apple case or a book stand sitting on a regular lap desk. However, I want to go with something that won't be sliding around every time I shift my legs or reposition, etc... I considered fabricating my own stand and Im still probably going to but Ill need something until I get the design right.

The groovy stand is neat buy not quite big and stable enough for what I need.

Xiutian, thanks for that suggestion. I had never considered the style with legs, that's why I posted on here, so I could get some more ideas coming this way. I like the lapdog and need something like that for my laptop anyway. Regardless Ill have one on the way soon so I might as well see how it works with the iPad, after I take some measurements to assess the comfort level.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Even the ideas that weren't quite what I was looking for, every single one gave me something new to think about or inspiration for the custom setup I want to fab up myself.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this....got it from IKEA for my little monster so that she can study in bed.
During the IKEA offer, it was going for $9.95 only. Think normal retail should be less than $20.

IMG_9608.jpg

It has a textured surface which hold things in place and a bean-bag base so that it sculpts to your thigh and there is even a concave curve at the waist area so that it can accommodate an extremely "convex" individual :D

Incidentally, the bean-bag base can be removed for washing.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend a good bit of time with iPad when I'm in the bed. I unwind after a long day at work by reading and playing on the iPad, and Im getting ready to order a stand/lap desk for the iPad.

I saw the review of the Padded Spaces prop it up stand, and that's along the lines of what Im looking for.
Home of the Prop It Up? - Padded Spaces

I'm sure there are others who have faced this situation. I figured there would be more options available, but it's been hard to find a desk like that, which will also prop up the iPad in a standing position.

So before I drop the hammer and place my order, I wanted to see if there were any other products similar to the one from Padded spaces I should consider. Also, I will be ordering a new reading pillow for lack of a better term. A big pillow that sits against the headboard and is shaped kind of like the back of a chair, recommendations on that would be great.[/QUO

The best solution would be to buy a sleep number bed,they can be paced in any position you like,try one out in the store before you buy.:)

Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts