What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading in bed - Needing a Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A simple laptopstand will often suffice.

I am using this simple model, for when using the iPad at a desk, as well as when watching a movie in bed.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XNM2D4/ref=oss_product[/ame]

It has adjustable angles and also works great with other devices, such as a laptop or Kindle.

theiProp.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am the owner of Padholdr, and I've been trying to find a solution for an iPad holder while I'm laying in bed. Is the Lap Log the way to go while you are actually laying in bed and not sitting up in bed?

What would be some things that people would love to see if there was a custom holder built for using your iPad while your in bed?

I'm thinking a piece that slides between the box spring and mattress that has an arm that adjusts to the viewing angle that you need?

Ideas??
You have just described the iProp. The base is designed to slide between the mattress and box springs and has long adjustable arm that positions the iPad an any desired position. Available later this month.

Ms Deb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my Lap Log, black, last week. I don't love it. I like the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Book-Seat-Holder-Red/dp/B0049VCA04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300133172&sr=8-1]The Book Seat Book Holder[/ame] better. Neither one is perfect, but the Lap Log tends to fall over - and while the size is smaller, it is heavier and less stable than the Book Seat. I do use both, I have a two story house, and I am lazy. I use the Lap Log down stairs, because it is more stable in a lap (it is worthless if you're lying down) and the Book Reader upstairs while in bed. I wish the Book Reader had a better way of securing the iPad - then it would be perfect. Oh well, I will keep searching.
Thank you all for your help.

RafRey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea a pillow worked for me last night. What I really need now is a Craftmatic bed!
But seriously the best thing about using the iPad vs any kind of laptop is the complete absence of heat burning through the sheets. The thing stays cool for hours.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw that some people in this forum used a modified microphone stand that could fit right above you.

theiProp.com

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handsfree iPad stand for reading in bed

here is a stand that is similar to a microphone stand that slides under your mattress or under a couch or chair.

Attachments

• ipropVertical2.jpg
    ipropVertical2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 9,468

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

As promised I wanted to share my experience with the Prop It Up. I ordered mine around Thanksgiving and my family has been using it since.

I bought mine from Amazon.com which seems to be the best deal. Since I was patient, I got the free shipping!

My wife and girls tried it before I got use it. They really love it! My girls like to lay on the floor while they play, so this put the iPad at the perfect angle while they read or play games.

My wife is an adorable couch potato and she loves our iPad. She told me that she liked the Prop It Up because it let's her watch TV and knit while keeping the iPad on her lap at a nice viewing angle.

For myself, I use it in bed. I like to read the newspaper and Facebook before going to bed and this is the most comfortable way to do it. I just put it at the highest angle postion and start reading away.

It could be a little smaller, as it seems to be made for "universal" purposes. They advertise using laptops and such with it. I'd like an even smaller model that was just for tablets.

Overall I give it an A-. They also have a website where you can check out a YouTube. Check it out at PaddedSpaces.com.

Check out my girls using the Prop It Up!

I just got my Prop it Up today. I haven't used it yet, as I am at work, but I did take it out and set my Ipad on it. I think I will really like it. I love that it has so many angles you can adjust it at. I am used to sitting with a pillow and a cooling pad on my lap when I use my laptop in bed, so size is not a problem for me.

dbbd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More info?

here is a stand that is similar to a microphone stand that slides under your mattress or under a couch or chair.

Can you provide some more info? How is it called? who makes it? where can you order it? Is it any good?

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Can you provide some more info? How is it called? who makes it? where can you order it? Is it any good?

I think at least 2 of your 5 questions can be answered in the website address the responder (also presumably the maker) provides. Just go to the website and read. I don't think anybody has it yet - it appears to be coming out now or imminently. It may be exactly what I'm looking for myself! I love that it's flexible in several regards -- mainly the goose-neck portion itself (I can envision using it at my desk, recliner AND in bed so it won't be obtrusive) -- and also that it not only adjusts to different angles but ALSO swivels. Most of the other units for holders make you have to physically pick up and re-seat the Ipad, this one SWIVELS.

I do however also like several of the pillow-type holders; but honestly, there must be something in the house I can substitute for that - hell, an old towel that would mimic that bean-bag effect - without paying the money. I think this iProp stand is not inexpensive either, around $80. But you know, I've now read about a dozen or two different types of holders for different applications, and I guess we can all get what is just right for us.

I'm thinking the iProp might be the ticket for me. Oh, two more thoughts about it. I like that the base "legs" seem specifically meant to fit underneath things (bed, table, chairs). My only real concern is how solid it would be if I were to punch the buttons on the iPad. Oh, and a third thought. I just bought the Ipad2 (March 11th in SF, and NO waiting in a line!) -- I just wonder if the IProp is meant for that or the earlier version or both versions...

RATStands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A suitable stand for using your iPad in bed.

We are world renowned for our prestige music stands and now we are in the process of developing a tablet stand to resolve issues such as this. At present it seems the market is flooded by low quality, extortionately priced stands - Many of which are only suitable for use on tabletops etc. Our tablet stand will be equally suited for use in bed through to playing a performance using your iPad as your music sheet. If you wish to remain updated about the product and its release feel free to contact me at: sean(at)ratstands.com

RAT Music Stands Ltd.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RATStands said:
We are world renowned for our prestige music stands and now we are in the process of developing a tablet stand to resolve issues such as this. At present it seems the market is flooded by low quality, extortionately priced stands - Many of which are only suitable for use on tabletops etc. Our tablet stand will be equally suited for use in bed through to playing a performance using your iPad as your music sheet. If you wish to remain updated about the product and its release feel free to contact me at: sean(at)ratstands.com

RAT Music Stands Ltd.

I just checked your site out, pretty cool!

I compere a 3 day festival in the UK and this year I want to use my iPad to provide a bit more interactivity with the audience. I've been looking for something a bit more secure than a music stand to prop the iPad on so this may be just what I need.......I certainly hope so!

The Archangel

RATStands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are developing a stand which will incorporate a diversity of angles and heights whilst remaining stable and portable. It will be designed to specifically house the iPad and hopefully in the future we will be able to produce something universal to the tablet industry.

Watch this space :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts