What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for the Salty Apple owners?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does apple alway make it so darn hard to get their product?
I mean why didn't they allow folks to make online order two weeks early. Then they would have ample supplies to meet the demand for this product.
Happy customer make repeat customers.
Some say they wanted to have this demand because it looks good cheep advertising . I don't agree! Wouldn't it have been better to have peoples money sign seals and then (almost)delivered.

Wouldn't having be better to have the ipad 2's in peoples hands it would advertise itself.

This waiting and calling around is a PITA.

Also whats with the rumors of IPAD 3 in September when some of us will still be waiting for apple to deliver the IPAD 2s.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does apple alway make it so darn hard to get their product?
I mean why didn't they allow folks to make online order two weeks early. Then they would have ample supplies to meet the demand for this product.
Happy customer make repeat customers.
Some say they wanted to have this demand because it looks good cheep advertising . I don't agree! Wouldn't it have been better to have peoples money sign seals and then (almost)delivered.

Wouldn't having be better to have the ipad 2's in peoples hands it would advertise itself.

This waiting and calling around is a PITA.

Also whats with the rumors of IPAD 3 in September when some of us will still be waiting for apple to deliver the IPAD 2s.

I know you are frustrated and I might be too ~ and I can see by your previous postings/threads that you are just not too happy with Apple at this time.

But they have a lot of repeat customers ~ trust me. So they must be happy.

As far as the rumors re iPad3 in September ~ that is all it is: Rumors. Apple typically releases the next generation about a year later.

There will always be the newer product ~ always ~

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The shortages would have only started 2 weeks earlier.

The only thing Apple did was create a product that everyone wants, and the lines would still be there whether they were publicized or not.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My point is why didn't they have pre-orders? Then lines would have been well. smaller.

But thanks for letting me vent, after my third visit to the apple store only to stand around with others of my elk planning on ways to get the IPAD 2.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My point is why didn't they have pre-orders? Then lines would have been well. smaller.

But thanks for letting me vent, after my third visit to the apple store only to stand around with others of my elk planning on ways to get the IPAD 2.

Pre-orders would have been the same as online ordering. The shipping times for pre-orders would have quickly been extended to many weeks, and impatient people would still go stand in lines hoping to get one sooner.

There's really no easy way around high demand and limited supply.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One has to put this in perspective, production for ipad 2 started in late jan early Feb after the ipad1 production was stopped. It has been stated Apple requested around 700,000 to 800,000 ipad 2 from the Shenzhen, China plant to be available at launch in USA. What actually happen the demand for ipad 2 exceeded everyones expectations as it is estimated Apple sold through the initial inventory in less than a week. No one knows how many ipad2 were made available in all other countries for the second release but again it was a sellout one would expect way over a million . As the production ramps up and hopefully not delayed due to the earthquake in Japan ( some components are made in Japan) then slowly they will catch up. This most likely will take until at least June. The big factor is the new production lines from new factories are not operatng yet ( see below)

It has been stated Apple's manufacture Foxconn can produce 10,000 ipads per day per factory run x 50 lines in full production This is needed to meet world wide demand. At present, the biggest production unit of the region is located at Shenzhen with a production capacity of 2.5 million per month.

DigiTimes reports that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has opened up its first iPad production lines at its new plants in Chengdu, China. While the new lines are only capable of producing 300,000 units per month, Foxconn plans to expand it capabilities in Chengdu to 50 production lines capable of manufacturing 40 million iPads per year.

One more thing......
Foxconn in Shenzhen, China has more than 800,000 employees where they manufacture products for other major companies as well as Apple. Apple is the largest customer for Foxconn with analysts estimating that more than . 100,000 of Foxconn's 800,000 workers in China are working on Apple products.

The bottom line is you are purchasing one of the most popular consumer products ever produced which demand is exceeding supply so you have no choice but to be patient and wait

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They did. Online orders started at 2am. Store pickup started at 5pm on launch day

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
The shortages would have only started 2 weeks earlier.

The only thing Apple did was create a product that everyone wants, and the lines would still be there whether they were publicized or not.

I agree.

eyeojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:

Bite the bullet like I did and get there before 6, you'll get one!

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well now that I settled down, and been kick in the but by eyeojo I have regained my determination to get my I2 before my extended ship date Apr. 20.

bitting the bullet!

You can close this tread since my next post will be a victory lap.

Last edited:

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes ranting and raving just makes you feel better about things!

It's worth the wait.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited outside an apple mon-thurs for 2 hours in 50-60 degree moist weather to get my original ipad 2

kevroc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to one of my local stores at 7:30am, store scheduled to open at 9. There were about 25 people in line. Store guy comes out and 8 and said because it's cold out (wasn't really that cold) they'd issue vouchers to everyone in line and as long as you come back by 11am whatever model you picked is yours. They had vouchers for each model in stock, by the time they got to me they still had stacks of vouchers left. I wanted the AT&T 64GB Black model, and they must have had at least 30-40 tickets left. So anybody going to that store by 9 or 10 would be sure to get one. Turned out that it wasn't really hard to get one, just had to wait in line for about 45 minutes, not bad at all.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well now that I settled down, and been kick in the but by eyeojo I have regained my determination to get my I2 before my extended ship date Apr. 20.

bitting the bullet!

You can close this tread since my next post will be a victory lap.

We can't close it! We need to see your victory lap.:D Plus others are posting theirs!

Most reactions

Latest posts