What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Restore from iTunes

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am about to restore my ipad to factory condition. I had an issue syncing photos that leads me to believe I set it up incorrectly and I want to start all over again. But I have purchased some applications and downloaded a lot of data through Documents 2 Go and through Dropbox.

iTunes said it made a backup of my settings before it began downloading the OS. Did it take that backup from the iPad or from iTunes last sync?

When I do the restore, after it finishes I should sync to iTunes, right? Will that put all my apps back on the iPad? Will it also put the data from Docs 2 Go? I assume I will have to re-download all the stuff through Dropbox...iTunes doesn't back that up, does it?

Any apps I don't get through the sync process...I can just go back to the app store and redownload, right? It remembers what I purchased, right?

Thanks,

Nate

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pretty much yes. sometimes the itunes backup doesn't restore everything or nothing at all, if you have the docs still in the dropbox etc you don't have to worry about those, you can redownload them. If you need to redownload apps you won't be recharged. The difference would be that the settings/saves would be gone (IF the backup doesn't restore everything correctly).

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it just finished. 5 hours to restore my documents 2 go. The iTunes restore only took a few minutes. But it did not restore docs 2 go documents...just the app. All my drop box data restored so that saved me a bunch of time. I use drop box to drop photos since I am not able to sync photos through iTunes.

I did lose a few apps. Probably apps I purchased since the last sync. That would make sense. I assumed I would find a list of the apps I downloaded previously, similar to the way the Android market works. Nope...you have to remember which apps you had. My CRS prevents that unfortunately. I know I had more apps than I have after trying to remember so someone made some money off me and I get no benefit. I know now that I need to sync this thing every time I make a purchase. What a hassle that will be.

Nate

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you plug in to itunes do the '"transfer purchases" option that way you have the apps on your account and can then pick and choose what to load.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can sync Doc To Go with Dropbox... a bit late to help now but perhaps useful in the future. if you download apps from the app store they should appear in your purchase history in iTunes and you should also have e-mail receipts which may be in your delete folder in e-mail. Once you purchase an app you can download it again for free. That does NOT apply to music/TV/movie downloads.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it just finished. 5 hours to restore my documents 2 go. The iTunes restore only took a few minutes. But it did not restore docs 2 go documents...just the app. ...

Nate

Thanks for sharing.
That is exactly what we are looking for in the Forum: to learn from others.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly if you can't remember which Apps you had purchased, you probably stopped using them so no real issue leaving them off I say. Free space for something you will use.

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can sync Doc To Go with Dropbox... a bit late to help now but perhaps useful in the future. if you download apps from the app store they should appear in your purchase history in iTunes and you should also have e-mail receipts which may be in your delete folder in e-mail. Once you purchase an app you can download it again for free. That does NOT apply to music/TV/movie downloads.

The only thing that shows uner "Purchased" on the App Store menu is Winnie the Pooh...which I did not purchase.

Is there another option for Purchase History that I can't seem to find?

Nate

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it just finished. 5 hours to restore my documents 2 go. The iTunes restore only took a few minutes. But it did not restore docs 2 go documents...just the app. ...

Nate

Thanks for sharing.
That is exactly what we are looking for in the Forum: to learn from others.

To be fair...that 5 hours is very reasonable since I have over 27 gig and thousands of folders in my Documents to Go sync folder. I put my entire file cabinet on it. 6 years of paperless office...all in my hands when I walk around with my iPad. And it only takes 5 hours once. After that it only syncs the changes which takes seconds.

If we are learnign I want to be sure every data element is taken into account.

Nate

OP
nateccnn

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly if you can't remember which Apps you had purchased, you probably stopped using them so no real issue leaving them off I say. Free space for something you will use.

Ahh...that might have been a logical conclusion if I was 20 something and my brain was still developing. In my case I had just purchased them the night before and was still playing with them to learn how they function. Just could not remember the names of the apps. And the search feature in the store is such a PITA that I could not get the search terms correct. I spent about 3 hours on it last night while waiting for the countdown to new years and finally found one of the apps...a handwritting note pad. (dont ask me which one...I don't remember). I had three of them and simply can't find the other two.

Just wait till you get CRS. You will sympathize with me. LOL

Nate

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a very informative thread, thanks nateccnn

Ahh...that might have been a logical conclusion if I was 20 something and my brain was still developing. In my case I had just purchased them the night before and was still playing with them to learn how they function. Just could not remember the names of the apps. And the search feature in the store is such a PITA that I could not get the search terms correct. I spent about 3 hours on it last night while waiting for the countdown to new years and finally found one of the apps...a handwritting note pad. (dont ask me which one...I don't remember). I had three of them and simply can't find the other two.

Just wait till you get CRS. You will sympathize with me. LOL

Nate

You might want to consider getting another app called Appshopper. I use this app to keep track of all my apps. It is a great interface to the iTunes store and is far more superior than my memory. I safeguard myself from these kinds of scenarios by doing regular backups and syncing--a lesson I learned from the very beginning of my technology life.

Most reactions

Latest posts