What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb with iPad question????

Tcwhite1980

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this forum but am not new to Apple products. Right now I a MBP, two Iphone 4's and waiting for the news on the new iPad. I currently do not own an iPad, however, a lady here at work is trying to sell hers. She has let me use it until I buy the new one hopefully sometime in March. My question is this, if I restore the iPad to factory settings, sync the iPad with my iTunes so I can use and put some free apps on it for the time being, would she be available to just sync it back up to her computer to restore from last backup? I just don't want her to lose anything if I did do that. Really don't want to try it without knowing she isn't going to lose anything. This is her backup iPad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My question is this, if I restore the iPad to factory settings, sync the iPad with my iTunes so I can use and put some free apps on it for the time being, would she be available to just sync it back up to her computer to restore from last backup? I just don't want her to lose anything if I did do that. Really don't want to try it without knowing she isn't going to lose anything. This is her backup iPad.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visit(s).

The answer is, yes, absolutely, she'll be able to take the iPad back from you, restore it as new and then "restore from backup." This'll mean she can put the iPad to exactly the same state it was in when she lent it to you to try out (which I think is pretty neat of her, BTW).

And, you can always buy apps while you're trying out the iPad (you don't have to stick with free ones). If you use your Apple ID, and only use that one, you can always get those apps back from the App Store by re-downloading them. In fact, unless you delete them manually, your iTunes will keep your apps for you.

So, have fun with it! And - good luck with your decision.

Marilyn

OP
T

Tcwhite1980

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn! I was afraid to mess up her Ipad because she has some paid apps and I just didn't want her to lose them. It is a 64gb black first generation iPad. She uses the new iPad2. I'm using it now until I find someone to sell it to locally. I would buy it but I'm really looking forward to the new Ipad. She had bought the first gen iPad and four months later after several Apple people told her when she bought it that there was not a new one coming out it did. She was furious for a moment but still went out and bought the new one 64gb. She doesn't really use any memory but insists on the biggest. So now this one just lays around until this week I get to play with it. Thanks for all your help.

OP
T

Tcwhite1980

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so by doing this should I just go to settings, general, erase all data and settings?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might be worth checking that she synced her iPad before giving it to you, as any changes since the last sync with iTunes may be lost.

The Archangel

Most reactions