What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Jailbreaking

Jacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I'm new to the forums and Brand new to the whole jailbreaking-thing. Never done anything like that and would love to know in short: would it be more fun using my ipad and how will it be "better" as to what i have now? What will it cost me and what should i do to get there? I have an ipad2, running iOS5.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I'm new to the forums and Brand new to the whole jailbreaking-thing. Never done anything like that and would love to know in short: would it be more fun using my ipad and how will it be "better" as to what i have now? What will it cost me and what should i do to get there? I have an ipad2, running iOS5.

First, welcome to the forum! Good to see you and I hope you enjoy your visit(s) here.

Second, I've moved this post of yours to its own thread, as (1) more people will see it rather than having it buried in the rules thread and (2) because putting your question in a thread that does not pertain to that thread's topic is considered bad form (and, is against the forum rules, to boot). So, now you have your own thread...

On to your questions: Jailbreaking is a marvelous [and free!] way to gain more control over your iPad and its functions. Rather than me trying to explain all it entails, have a look at this link:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

With all that said - you cannot jail break your iPad2 at this time. There is no jailbreak available [yet] for the iPad2 running on iOS 5.0. So, my only suggestion is to read through the link I gave you, the other threads here in the Hacking section and maybe even do a Google search on jailbreaking. Then, you'll be fully prepared to decide whether to jail break once one becomes available for your version of iPad/iOS.

Happy reading and again, welcome to the forum.

Marilyn

OP
J

Jacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx for that and thx for moving the post. I couldn't find my way to post it in another place, so i am sorry about that. It was not at all the intension. Thx for the answer. I will go and read. Btw, i saw that they charge something like $30 for jailbreaking downloads. Am i looking in the right places, or do you get good jailbreaking software for free?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never pay for jail breaking! Never.

The people who create jail breaks for iDevices do so for many reasons - none of which is for money. If you see an opportunity or offer to jail break the iPad, for a price, do not walk, run away! The odds are it's a scam and the best thing is that you'll be out some money and the "jail break" won't work. The worst thing is they'll muck up your iPad, or computer ... or both.

For jailbreaks, always visit reputable sites for news and jail breaks and again, never, never pay. Legitimate jail breaks are free. You don't need to pay someone to do it for you, either. With today's advances in computers and software, they are actually very easy to implement and use. Heck, if I can use the jailbreaking tools, anyone can! :D

Marilyn

OP
J

Jacs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks so much for the advice.
I will then rather wait for advice from you guys!
When do you expect the ipad 2 jailbreak for iOS 5 to be available? Or is it one of those questions that cant be answered?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's one of the unanswerable questions: When will an iOS 5 jailbreak become available for the iPad2.

All's you can do is haunt this forum for news, especially this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread.html

Because, once it's available, I can guarantee you, all the eagerly waiting iPad2 owners will find out as soon as our little fingers can type out the news ... and probably before, the way news spreads on the Interwebz! :D

All anyone can do is wait.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts