What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About to Jailbreak and have few questions

Maximusdmgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm happy to see this website exists!!! I have an old iPad 1 since two years now and getting more and more frustrated because many upgrades now requires IOS6. Crackle just did that to me today :( So I want to jailbreak my device so I can keep using it instead of making a frisbee from the top of a mountain with it!

A) is IOS 6 ok on an iPad 1?
B I plan to use redsnow. Is it good?
C) Once the jailbreak done, will I still be able to use the apple store to download apps?
D) Once the jailbreak done, will I still be able to buy apps from the apple store?
E) Will game center still be working?
F) I'm playing 2 games: Hobbit KOM and Empire Fleet. Both have been registered with my email addresse and /or Facebook. Will I loose all the hard work done so far because of the jailbreak?

G) IMPORTANT ONE HERE:
Will I have to create a new Apple ID or can Inuse the one I'm using right now?
And what if I want to create a new Apple ID? Can I jailbreak the device then create a new Apple ID or should I create a new Apple ID then switch it on my device BEFORE the jailbreak?

Sorry if these questions seems stupids. But I've never did any jailbreak and I'm afraid to lose the little I'm still able to do with this device (and I hate Apple for not allowing us to upgrade to IOS6!!!)

Any suggestions and comments are more than welcomed!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm happy to see this website exists!!! I have an old iPad 1 since two years now and getting more and more frustrated because many upgrades now requires IOS6. Crackle just did that to me today :( So I want to jailbreak my device so I can keep using it instead of making a frisbee from the top of a mountain with it!

A) is IOS 6 ok on an iPad 1?
B I plan to use redsnow. Is it good?
C) Once the jailbreak done, will I still be able to use the apple store to download apps?
D) Once the jailbreak done, will I still be able to buy apps from the apple store?
E) Will game center still be working?
F) I'm playing 2 games: Hobbit KOM and Empire Fleet. Both have been registered with my email addresse and /or Facebook. Will I loose all the hard work done so far because of the jailbreak?

G) IMPORTANT ONE HERE:
Will I have to create a new Apple ID or can Inuse the one I'm using right now?
And what if I want to create a new Apple ID? Can I jailbreak the device then create a new Apple ID or should I create a new Apple ID then switch it on my device BEFORE the jailbreak?

Sorry if these questions seems stupids. But I've never did any jailbreak and I'm afraid to lose the little I'm still able to do with this device (and I hate Apple for not allowing us to upgrade to IOS6!!!)

Any suggestions and comments are more than welcomed!

Unfortunately the iPad 1 did not receive iOS 6 support, so you cannot upgrade and jailbreak your device on iOS 6.

Jailbreaking adds on top of things you can already do, so you will still be able to use the AppStore and buy/download apps like normal, none of the stock aspects of the iOS is removed during a jailbreak.

I don't have the Hobbit KOM, but depending on what type of app it is and how it stores it's data, a backup should usually suffice for backing up your progress if it's not saved on the cloud like Clash of Clans or Candy Crush if you linked a Facebook account to them. Since your app utilities social media registration, your progress should be saved on the cloud.

As stated above, whoever you can do on the stock OS, you can do on a jailbroken OS, so you do not need a new AppleID, your current one will suffice, particularly if you don't want to pay double for apps you've purchased previously

There are methods to circumvent the iOS restriction after jailbreaking, but it's not recommended as it may affect the functionality of other aspects of the OS/device

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk Pro

OP
M

Maximusdmgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If all this true, then I'm going ahead with the frisbee iPad! More and more apps are requiring IOS6 and doesnt even give you the option to use an older version working with 5.1.1. Facebook, Crackle, etc... So if I can't upgrade to IOS 6, this iPad is going to be launched from a skydive or the top of a mountain. The iPhone 3Gs is older than iPad 1 can be upgraded to IOS 6 so it's just a gimmick from Apple.

Last edited:
OP
M

Maximusdmgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Scifan. That doesn't work with Crackle or Facebook :( for example, Crackle forces you to download the new version right from the start and it only works on IOS6 :(

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If all this true, then I'm going ahead with the frisbee iPad! More and more apps are requiring IOS6 and doesnt even give you the option to use an older version working with 5.1.1. Facebook, Crackle, etc... So if I can't upgrade to IOS 6, this iPad is going to be launched from a skydive or the top of a mountain. The iPhone 3Gs is older than iPad 1 can be upgraded to IOS 6 so it's just a gimmick from Apple.

The difference between the 3GS and the iPad is that the iPad was the first of its kind at the time, so there may be hardware limitations that has been implemented into the iPad as a sort of "mass scale" experimentation to see how it handles everything. The 3GS is the 3rd iteration of Apple's iPhone, so they are aware of the hardware limitations because of the 2 previous iterations.

Most reactions

Latest posts