What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Questions About Jailbreaking

jetjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to the iPad, and the aspect of Jailbreaking. I have an iPad with 3.2.2. I have some questions:

1. Where is the best place to go to Jailbreak my iPad?
2. I would like to install Flash. If I Jailbreak it, can I do that? Also, being a PC guy, how would I do it?
3. I heard that you could Multitask if you Jailbreak. How is that done?
4. I know that a future OS is coming out. If I Jailbreak now, would I then install the new OS and then wait for the new Jailbreak for that OS?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Sorry, but I read the sticky that tells you where to Jailbreak. If someone could answer the other questions, that would be great.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends on what os version you have, if its 3.2.1 use jailbreakme.com, if its 3.2.2 use limera1n. its probably advisable to install new os (3.2.2) then use limera1n, which is really easy, search for guides on redmond pie, gizmodo, etc.

2. I would like to install Flash. If I Jailbreak it, can I do that? Also, being a PC guy, how would I do it?
you can install a port of flash but its early beta stages and doesn't work that well, can only show the adverts on websites, no full video. very buggy wouldn't reccomend.

this is achieved by installing an app on cydia called "backgrounder", some people are having problems with it though so be advised, I myself has had no such problems.

4. I know that a future OS is coming out. If I Jailbreak now, would I then install the new OS and then wait for the new Jailbreak for that OS?
os 4.2 is due to drop anytime now, if you jailbreak now, wait a while, normally a week or two then there will be guides showing you how to jailbreak the new os.
you might want to look into saving your SSH's blobs, which again there is a thread explaining how to do this.

i'm waiting for 4.2 myself :)

good luck!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4. If I Jailbreak now, would I then install the new OS and then wait for the new Jailbreak for that OS?

Personally ~ I would just wait. Update and wait for that new JB. You might find you won't need to JB. Or want to.

One never knows when a new JB is going to come out for a new OS.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@sweetpoison, why you so against jailbreaking? lol

with a jailbroken ipad I can access the file system, copy, add anywhere I want (just like on my pc), play emulated games, (gameboy, gb advance, n64, psx), change appearance, (my ipad, how I want it to look/sound), download files using safari downloader (any file I might add, .doc, .pdf, .avi, .zip, and even unzip using ifile), control my ipad using veency, and loads more I can't even think of right now.

my point is that I paid £500 ($300?) for this thing and its limited, granted, the way apple wanted it to, the way some consumers like it to be. but how annoyed would you be if you brought a laptop and couldn't download a file using internet explorer??

you got your opinion, and your entitled to it, and I respect you for it but the possibilities are endless with this thing when its jailbroken, an ipad is great when out of the box, but amazing when jailbroken!

my opinion of course :)

oh and thanks to jailbreak I now have a 132gb+ ipad!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@sweetpoison, why you so against jailbreaking? lol

with a jailbroken ipad I can access the file system, copy, add anywhere I want (just like on my pc), play emulated games, (gameboy, gb advance, n64, psx), change appearance, (my ipad, how I want it to look/sound), download files using safari downloader (any file I might add, .doc, .pdf, .avi, .zip, and even unzip using ifile), control my ipad using veency, and loads more I can't even think of right now.
I can't speak for SweetPoison (she is quite capable of doing that for herself!), but the reason I don't jailbreak is because all of the things you mention were not features I was hoping to find in the iPad and are not the least bit important to me. I bought an iPad for what it could do right out of the box, not for what it might be able to do if I circumvent the iOS.

...but how annoyed would you be if you brought a laptop and couldn't download a file using internet explorer??
I would be highly annoyed if a manufacturer said their product had certain features or capabilities and it turns out that it didn't. That would be false advertising and I would demand my money back! But with the iPad, no one ever said that it would be capable of downloading files using Internet Explorer so why would I be annoyed with Apple because it can't?

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@1991-c4
I would be highly annoyed if a manufacturer said their product had certain features or capabilities and it turns out that it didn't. That would be false advertising and I would demand my money back! But with the iPad, no one ever said that it would be capable of downloading files using Internet Explorer so why would I be annoyed with Apple because it can't?
dude thats why i put this:
its limited, granted, the way apple wanted it to, the way some consumers like it to be
just my two cents, (as you americans say) :)

@sweetpoison, you should always try something at least once! ;)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my point is that I paid £500 ($300?) for this thing and its limited, granted, the way apple wanted it to, the way some consumers like it to be. but how annoyed would you be if you brought a laptop and couldn't download a file using internet explorer??

But "dude", what does the price you paid for your iPad have to do with being annoyed that it can't download files from Internet Explorer??? I don't understand how you are tying these two statements together?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@sweetpoison, you should always try something at least once! ;)

I am just too scared something will go very wrong. I don't have the time or patience ( quiet, Scott ) to deal with problems on my ipad.

It needs to work when I want it to. When I need it too! I have some co-workers who keep bugging me ~ "Marie, when are you gonna jailbreak that thing?"

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the real reason Marie won't jailbreak...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J23cuR37lQs[/ame]

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@1991-c4 what I was getting across was I paid for it it's mine, I know apple frown upon the jailbreak!

I was thinking it in my head, but didn't express it well!

@sweet poison, it's pretty much fool proof, but I know how you feel. When I first jail broke my iPod touch 2g i was bricking it! I was sweating and everything! But I couldn't have a iPhone or iPad un jail broken, not now that I know the capability of them!

And if something does go wrong (god forbid) I'm sure plenty of people on here would be able to help!

:)

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends on what os version you have, if its 3.2.1 use jailbreakme.com, if its 3.2.2 use limera1n. its probably advisable to install new os (3.2.2) then use limera1n, which is really easy, search for guides on redmond pie, gizmodo, etc.

you can install a port of flash but its early beta stages and doesn't work that well, can only show the adverts on websites, no full video. very buggy wouldn't reccomend.

this is achieved by installing an app on cydia called "backgrounder", some people are having problems with it though so be advised, I myself has had no such problems.

os 4.2 is due to drop anytime now, if you jailbreak now, wait a while, normally a week or two then there will be guides showing you how to jailbreak the new os.
you might want to look into saving your SSH's blobs, which again there is a thread explaining how to do this.

i'm waiting for 4.2 myself :)

good luck!
With this glowing recommendation, why wouldn't I want to jailbreak? :D

It's true I can't download files with IE on my iPad. Then again, I don't very often download files with IE on any of my other computers either. I use other browsers. However, I can download files with iCabMobile and a few other apps. So I really don't find that much of a reason to jb.

Most reactions

Latest posts