What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem starting new iPad mini 2 for camera only use.

otzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I start up a gifted new iPad mini 2 for camera use only with out connecting to iTunes or anything.
I am not computer literate and have no need of any social or any other computer function, wishing to use the mini 2 as a free standing camera. Limited vision.
I have searched for online help but only get increasingly confused.
Yes, when purchased the needs were well mentioned, but no indication was offered requiring the connecting to anything. - Thanks.

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would say the iPad without connectivity would be a poor choice for a camera only device even if you could use the camera without activation with an Apple ID, (not sure about that) because you would not be able to move those pictures to another device without connectivity. I think this is what you are asking.

OP
O

otzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. There is a computer available to down load images. w10 ie11.
The q. related to being able to use the mini 2 as a picture taking device only. No use for any (other) computer function. Certainly no connections to music or internet etc.
Seems I can't get it started with out iTunes,?. _ Anyway, tried but didn't work.
Thanks. Hope this makes sense.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you turn off Find my iPhone. Use the Erase all Settings and Content under Settings > General > Reset. Enter any passwords or ID's it asks to enable the restore.

NOTE: This will erase everything on the iPad. Make sure there is nothing you need to save before doing so.

Once you are on the Hello set up screen 'skip' (or next) anything asking you to 'set up" your iTunes or iCloud or Apple ID. You should end up with a very basic iPad with nothing but the included apps and no connection to iTunes or an Apple ID. That means you can only use the included Camera app; not any third party apps. You'll need an iTunes account to install any and all other apps.

It may start iTunes on your computer when you connect the device; but you can safely close it. Somewhere in iTunes preferences it is possible to tell iTunes not to automatically open when an iPad (or iPhone) is plugged in.

To export the pictures in Windows look for your device connected as either a camera or a USB drive. Copy (do not move or delete) photos from the DCIM folder. Do any deletion of photos directly on the iPad after the export.

To export on a Mac, use the Image Capture app. It should be in the Applications folder (or maybe in the Utilities folder that is in the Applications folder). Again, never delete photos from the computer. Always delete directly on the iPad.

CAVEAT: I have not done this myself, but it should be possible. The skip and next options are all there, and the iPad does not need iTunes or iCloud for (very) basic functionality.

OP
O

otzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great reply just what I wanted to hear, But I don't understand the settings bit, first para._ where do I find settings, viz. 'Settings > General > Reset.'

[Once you are on the Hello set up screen 'skip' (or next) anything asking you to 'set up" your iTunes or iCloud or Apple ID.]__ I can't get that far. Once I get to (Choose a Wi-Fi Network) page (iTunes/choose another network) page there seems no exit. Only back.

If this is relevant, there is no little 'I' in a circle icon as shown on some google pages bottom right corner or anywhere in the hello page or beyond.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Settings app. It grey and looks like gears. So Settings (the settings app) > General (the General selection in the right column) > Reset (the Reset choice at the bottom of the screen.

This is how it look in iOS 9. It should look similar in iOS 7 and 8. iOS 6 may be a bit different, but the same general steps apply. Anything before that may need a slightly different procedure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445221695.649330.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445221708.945901.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445221719.766320.jpg

The "Hello" screen is what you get when you turn on an iPad straight out of the box, or after you've erased it. It just says Hello with an off-white background, and "Slide to set up" at the bottom. If you wait awhile the language changes. The first choice after swiping is to choose a language. It continues to guide you through set up options from that point on.

There should be no little (i) on the Hello page. At least not the first screen. There might be one later. I don't remember. If there is it would be for either extra information, or optional settings. That's what (i) almost always means when you encounter it in iOS. I think Google uses it slightly differently. Though, recently Google has been more likely to use the ... icon to indicate extra options, and bury information another level down.

OP
O

otzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally got the answer I needed. Not necessarily wanted._ It seems that one must log on using WiFi. This is nowhere indicated, by print or by store sales. How sad that it be assumed that some new fad (to me) is automatically counted as everyday normal, well, not to me. Why Fi not WiFi

Finally found that apple support, via iTunes support helped. Their answer? use Wi Fi. I haven't got Wi Fi. Well I'm sorry you'll have to find someone. See if the store will use their computer. ??? My comment that there is no information to this for the

OP
O

otzi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally sorted. Apple support via iTunes support. Answer? well just needed to connect with WiFi to log on. I don't have WiFi. Well that's to bad then. There is nothing to indicate this either in print or via sales that it needs to be used. That's not our problem so that's to bad. See if the shop will use their computer. And on it goes.

Any way all's well now. It is sad that what's relatively modern (to me) is supposed to be the norm. And then there is the asked serial number on the back, printed so small no reasonable person could hope to read it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could visit a local library or other free wi-fi location to initialize the iPad. It should not need wi-fi after that.

You can also get the serial number from the box (if you have the original box) or by going to Settings > About (which you can't do until you've initialize the iPad. So, no real help there. Yes, in the case of what it prints on it's iPad's Apple has chosen to aesthetics over readability.

Most reactions