What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Camera Revealed for iPad 2 in iOS 4.3 Beta, But Will it Be Only 1 Megapixel?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
back-facing-camera.JPG

A day after the existence of a front-facing camera in the iPad 2 was confirmed by screenshots found in iOS 4.3 Beta, 9to5 Mac have unearthed evidence that there will also be a back-facing camera included, but interestingly enough it’s also found that the back-facing camera, which will be the one you use to record videos and take photos with, is only 1 megapixel. The front-facing camera, however, which will be the one used for FaceTime of course, and for taking pictures and videos of yourself, will be VGA, the same as the iPhone 4 and fourth-gen iPod touch. 9to5 Mac say that they have managed to deduce all this good stuff because they have heard from a source that K94 is the code name for the iPad 2, and they speculate that the reason the iPad 2’s back-facing camera is only 1 megapixel is because the device’s tapered edges don’t allow space for anything more sophisticated. Can this really be true? Will the iPad 2 really only have a 1 megapixel back-facing camera? Does your iPad really need a camera anyway?

Source: iPad 2 will have the same cameras as the iPod touch | 9 to 5 Mac iPad 2 will have the same cameras as the iPod touch | Apple Intelligence

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Camera for FaceTime obviously...not to take pictures with. But i guess it will be useful for the odd quick snap

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
front-facing camera is the most important - imho
However, if you are going to have a rear-facing camera - which it should have - please give more than 1 megapixel.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes it IS for FaceTime, and given if it is only 1Mpx, that means it's pretty much only for FaceTime. FaceTime is not ONLY the front camera, hence the way to switch to the back camera to show people what you're seeing.

IMO, this makes sense, cause you're gonna look like a complete idiot holding up something as large as an iPad to take pictures everywhere you go. I agree with this, if it is what they are actually doing.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would they have a back facing camera for FaceTime? That would make zero sense.

The back facing camera isn’t for FaceTime.

I know, that was my point.

But a rear facing 1MP camera is almost pointless unless the function is for what Yakuzagang said. But even then, it doesn't seem to make a FaceTime camera for front and rear.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't be worse taking pictures with an iPad than phoning with one!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsauQUoe9KM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think its ridiculous to include such a crappy rear camera on the ipad myself, but I can see why they are doing it, and its not because of facetime. If this is true and there is only a 1MP rear camera, then they are basically saying that it is not meant to take a single photo with. Its basically there to scan barcodes and such and to offer basic camera functionality to apps.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh you won't be taking photos with the 10" screen in your face so it'll be just fine.
Want to be able to quick scan docs with it. Should be fine here.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I always have my iPad at hand. It would be useful to have a camera to take pictures of the grandkids playing while I'm reading or a quilt or painting I might be making notes on, or my garden as I'm thinking about layout. Since I have the iPad with me at those times I'd rather have a camera handy and don't mind a 10 inch screen " in my face".

Bobbi

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I take your point Bobbi. It should be a quick way to get images on the machine.
Sitting here with three cameras on my desk and several computers I guess I'm spoilt for choice :)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody will force anyone to use the camera so why bother about it being there?
I have one on each of my laptops that I don't use, they're now just a tiny 1/8" decoration... But if you planned to use your actual case and wanted to use said camera now that's a gripe! That hole really makes a difference...:p

Most reactions

Latest posts