What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using wired internet on iPad 2?

JoeMagiera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried, and got it to work, using wired internet on an iPad?

I have an iPad 2 (model A1397). I got the parts mentioned in this article to connect my iPad to wired internet (ethernet):

How to Connect an iPad to Ethernet

The one thing I had to get different was I had to get the proper camera connection as iPad 2's have the older larger connection.

I get the message "device requires too much power", and doesn't work. I also tried it on my iPad mini (1st gen), model A1454, using the lightening camera connection as shown in the video. Same results (requires too much power). In his video, it looks like he gets the message too, but when he taps out of it, the internet connection magically works. Not on either of my iPads.

In the video, he uses a hub, but in the article, he mentions if you have a iPad that uses a standard lightening connector, you don't even need the hub anymore and can bypass that. I got a powered hub and I tried it on both my iPads, with and without the hub, and none of the setups worked.

Anyone else try this and have any luck? If you did get it to work, I'd sure like to figure out what I'd doing wrong. Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

JoeMagiera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching for some time for a solution to connect my iPad to a wired ethernet connection. I have some mixed news to report.

There are three ipads in my immediate household:
  • iPad model A1397 (iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G Cellular/CDMA Verizon Wireless, Sprint or U.S. Cellular), running iOS 9.3.6 (up to date)
  • iPad model A1454 (iPad mini (1st gen) Wi-Fi + LTE Cellular), running iOS 9.3.6 (up to date)
  • iPad model A1489 (iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi), running iOS 12.4.2
I tried a few solution suggestions found on the internet and bought several adapters and other devices. None worked.

I tried/bought a couple more gizmo's:
I got the item from Newegg first and hooked it up to the A1489 and presto! wired internet connection! The hook up? Plug the ethernet wire into one end and plug the lightening connector into the iPad. That's it. Note: While wired ethernet connection worked, the device was NOT charging with this connection.

I hooked up the Newegg item to the A1454 and major bummer, no ethernet recognized on settings (also device was not charging with this connection).

I had to wait for the ebay item to arrive, but after the A1454 didn't work, I didn't hold out much hope this would work either. the ebay item finally arrived and I plugged the ethernet wire into one end of the Newegg connector, plugged the lightening end of the Newegg into the ebay connector and plugged the ebay connector into A1397. Again, major bummer (but not really a surprise I guess), no ethernet connection (and no charging either). I will note though, if it's any consolation, when the ebay adapter was connected to a standard lightening connector cable for charging, my iPad did get a charge, so the ebay adapter is working.

So it's either a software or hardware constraint on the iPad itself, not any adapter problems, but I still can't connect my A1397 to wired ethernet (which is the prime one I want to connect). If anyone out there has a confirmed working solution to connect an A1397 to a wired ethernet connection, please reply and provided details/specifics of procedures and adapters, etc..

I also want to note that the Newegg connector also provided a wired ethernet connection to the three iPhones in the household, 5C, 7, 8+ (all running up-to-date iOS).

Joe

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, Apple did not officially support wired ethernet until the iPad Pro models; when the Lighting port was upgraded to USB-C compatibility (but still a Lighting port). I seem to remember special adaptor that could be used, or you used a Lighting to USB-C adaptor inline with a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor. USB-C has native support for ethernet. All USB-C models of the iPads only need a standard USB-C to ethernet adaptor to work.

All previous methods and models were workarounds, and unreliable, because ethernet support was not included in the OS or port hardware. Or so I remember from random articles. I never tried it myself.

P.S. This may have happened one model before the iPad Pros. I’m not sure. But the iPad 2 never had anything like official ethernet support.

Most reactions

Latest posts