What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price of iPad Apps vs Android

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha Ha, you know I didn't see that the first time around. I was concentrating on what he was saying in regards to the apk files.

It's OK, I'm not trying to start trouble just having a discussion about the differences in price. It's funny because I was just over in the other forum and someone was complaining about an app that you install in your computer for music and picture transfer without wire and they were complaining about charging 2 bucks for it. Amazing.
I think he was referring to himself as the troll--in a self deprecating kinda way. I seem to recall him getting blasted, perhaps too much, in a thread somewhere.

I'm happy to hear that you can use your apps off your iPhone on the iPad. It only seems fair.
Well it is nice but that was supposed to be the deal with the app store: you can install apps on up to 5 devices. So when they circumvent that by making it a separate app it kinda is lame.

Another thing is that an iPhone app that would have retina support on iPhone 4 or latest iPod Touch will not display in that resolution on the iPad, even though the iPad has more pixels and could easily display that 960 x 640 screen size. Instead we get the app at 480 x 320, or pixel doubled if we choose to scale up. Fine for simple apps, but kind of blocky on many others.

Back to the Angry Birds example... I bought the iPhone version for .99. It was worth it--fun game. On my iPhone 4 it runs at 960 x 640. Now my iPad version, which runs not that much larger at 1024 x 768, is $4.99. That is five times the price of the iPhone version. Worse, I had to start over again on the iPad version--game progress is not centralized in any way. In addition if I wanted to run my iPhone version on my iPad it would only run at 480 x 320.

Anyway, just seems that iPad apps are priced unreasonably in many cases.

Michael

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to Angry Birds on the Android. I just played on my wife's Fascinate and there is a small ad before each level. Nothing intrusive, but that explains how it is "free" on the Android marketplace I think.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to Angry Birds on the Android. I just played on my wife's Fascinate and there is a small ad before each level. Nothing intrusive, but that explains how it is "free" on the Android marketplace I think.

That makes sense. I've neever completed a level. I think I'm stuck on #9 first level.

I find commercials annoying, it's worth a few dollars to get away from them.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there true Tablet apps in the Android market - nope not this year!

Google does not allow that as they do not want Android even on a tablet in its current incarnation.

Wow, way to give a whole bunch of inaccurate information. The are tablet specific apps, just not many of them YET. Not this year? LOL, there is less than one month left in this year. The good Android tablets are starting to roll out for the holiday season, and I assure you more and more tablet specific apps will show up on the marketplace.

Why are you so damn negative? I get it, especially by your signature, that you hate that iPad is getting competition now, but remember, competition is a good thing, hopefully someone will actually come out with quality competition and force Apple to change.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That makes sense. I've neever completed a level. I think I'm stuck on #9 first level.

I find commercials annoying, it's worth a few dollars to get away from them.

Actually, I was seeing a small add before each "sub-level" I guess you could call it. Before each attempt, there is a little rectangular box with a company logo (JC Penney is the one I remember). You don't need to click on anything to get past the add, it is just on the screen which is OK with me.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason you may not see ads on Android is that you may be running a custom rom. Custom roms almost universally have a version of Adfree installed. Also, Adfree is on the market and is free. It disables all ads in all apps.

The reason that apps are free and Android and not free on iOS is that Android is run by an ADVERTISING company, and has had advertising built in for a while. iOS just got this "feature" and there is literally zero incentive for developers to lower their artificially high prices that were acceptable when there was no advertising capability.

I am astonished at how expensive apps are for the iPad. My Epic 4g probably runs 90-95% free apps with a couple exceptions, while the iPad has probably a 50/50 split.

And to the person claiming there is no protection on Android for developers for people pirating their apps . . . That is RICH. There is RIDICULOUS pirating going on within iOS, to the point where they have made a fully functional "app store" where everything is cracked and free. There is no Installous for Android. To pirate an app you have to go searching for the apk online somewhere, not just fire up some app and have it within a minute.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I stated i would follow up on the 1password pricing issue between android and apple ios I contacted the developer direct and just received the reply today. This is the direct copy of the email I received which as I suspected answers the question and hopefully make hookbill happy that he is in fact not being ripped off.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for the late reply; we've been a little short handed around here this week.

Regarding Android pricing vs. iOS, the Android app is still in beta testing and we have not said it would stay free; we simply said it was free during the beta period. When it exits beta we will need to make the hard decision of how to price 1Password for Android. This is a hard choice because there certainly is a perception that Android users refuse to pay for software, and also, the Android app is read only so it is hard to charge the same amount as iOS which has full edit capabilities.

Cheers!

--Dave Teare
Co-author of 1Password

Last edited:
OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are apps that keep commercials from playing in the apps but i don't have one. I still don't recall seeing any commercials in Angry Birds but I can be unobservant so I fully believe there are ads there.

I don't run a Custom ROM, I am rooted however. I'm sure that some of the Custom ROMS have that add removal app in it.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Could be and if they make money that way that's all good. And however they've added the ads on to the app itself it's hardly noticeable so good job as far as I'm concerned.

It looks like I'll be paying for my 1Password App on Android eventually fro what my esteemed fellow moderator col.bris said. Again I don't mind but I'll bet the price will be less then what we see here in the App Store. Time will tell.

Most reactions

Latest posts