What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tablet advice - Android VS iPad Air

jfarinella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need some quick advice. I am a big android user but recently I purchased an iMac. Love the machine and have even set it up as a whole house movie/photo server (with Apple TV in different rooms). It was time to purchase a new tablet and, after reading the reviews, the iPad Air came highly recommended - both for ease of use and for reliability (very few or no crashes). Instant up time with no delays in web browsing is important, especially when I am in a warehouse setting and I need data quickly. I have been using the iPad Air for about 4 days and have found some handcuffs that could be deal breakers for me. I was wondering if jailbreaking it would help. I have always had custom ROMs on my android devices.

1. My default email program is Touchdown. I have used it for years and find it to be a really robust app. My tablet is used primarily for email and web surfing. What I found is that when I click to send an email message from a browser site (say, for tech support), it tries to open up one of the many apps using Apples email program. There is no way to default emails to Touchdown.
2. The keyboard is useless for every day use. Every time i want to enter a number I have to switch screens. Every single time I type (because of work and my volunteer work) I have to enter a number and some kind of symbol (sometimes I have to go 2 screens deep to find the correct symbol). This is also a big problem because I use a remote program to access my home PC and my accounting software so I can do some work remotely.
3. Maybe I missed the setting but it won't let me default my browser to Chrome.

I was hoping to get some guidance on some tips to making the iPad a bit more business friendly.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need some quick advice. I am a big android user but recently I purchased an iMac. Love the machine and have even set it up as a whole house movie/photo server (with Apple TV in different rooms). It was time to purchase a new tablet and, after reading the reviews, the iPad Air came highly recommended - both for ease of use and for reliability (very few or no crashes). Instant up time with no delays in web browsing is important, especially when I am in a warehouse setting and I need data quickly. I have been using the iPad Air for about 4 days and have found some handcuffs that could be deal breakers for me. I was wondering if jailbreaking it would help. I have always had custom ROMs on my android devices. 1. My default email program is Touchdown. I have used it for years and find it to be a really robust app. My tablet is used primarily for email and web surfing. What I found is that when I click to send an email message from a browser site (say, for tech support), it tries to open up one of the many apps using Apples email program. There is no way to default emails to Touchdown. 2. The keyboard is useless for every day use. Every time i want to enter a number I have to switch screens. Every single time I type (because of work and my volunteer work) I have to enter a number and some kind of symbol (sometimes I have to go 2 screens deep to find the correct symbol). This is also a big problem because I use a remote program to access my home PC and my accounting software so I can do some work remotely. 3. Maybe I missed the setting but it won't let me default my browser to Chrome. I was hoping to get some guidance on some tips to making the iPad a bit more business friendly.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

1. If you set up your email account in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars, you get the option to use it as default mail account:

image-2759030408.jpg

3. You can't choose another default browser.

My iPads are not jailbroken, so I can't tell you what's possible there.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In order:

1) Email. The stock email program is useless. It's just about useable, but without use of a laptop/desktop to manage the meat and gravy of emailing, you are going to be pounding your head off the wall. Luckily the Mail program on the Mac is very good, and can fill in the gaps.

2)Keyboard. Buy an Apple BlueTooth keyboard. Setup is a breeze, and you'll never look back. The only issue is that you'll lose the clever little bits of the onscreen KB such as easy selection of certain symbols.

3) Browser. Use Safari. It's great. Why anyone wants an alternative is beyond me. I never use anything but Safari now, and I've tried just about all of them.

Pages, Numbers and Keynote are now free. That's business friendly, so grab them before Apple change their minds.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need some quick advice. I am a big android user but recently I purchased an iMac. Love the machine and have even set it up as a whole house movie/photo server (with Apple TV in different rooms). It was time to purchase a new tablet and, after reading the reviews, the iPad Air came highly recommended - both for ease of use and for reliability (very few or no crashes). Instant up time with no delays in web browsing is important, especially when I am in a warehouse setting and I need data quickly. I have been using the iPad Air for about 4 days and have found some handcuffs that could be deal breakers for me. I was wondering if jailbreaking it would help. I have always had custom ROMs on my android devices.

1. My default email program is Touchdown. I have used it for years and find it to be a really robust app. My tablet is used primarily for email and web surfing. What I found is that when I click to send an email message from a browser site (say, for tech support), it tries to open up one of the many apps using Apples email program. There is no way to default emails to Touchdown.

Well, there is a "Touchdown for iOS" app in the AppStore ($19.99, USD). It has to be set up with your IT or specifically, the app "requires your Exchange Server to support ActiveSync protocol." So, I should think it'd be doable/useable.

Thought, IMHO, the Mail app is pretty good. However, I am not a business e-mail power user, so what do I know... :)

2. The keyboard is useless for every day use. Every time i want to enter a number I have to switch screens. Every single time I type (because of work and my volunteer work) I have to enter a number and some kind of symbol (sometimes I have to go 2 screens deep to find the correct symbol). This is also a big problem because I use a remote program to access my home PC and my accounting software so I can do some work remotely.

3. Maybe I missed the setting but it won't let me default my browser to Chrome.

I was hoping to get some guidance on some tips to making the iPad a bit more business friendly.

Now, numbers two and three can be solved if you jail break the iPad. You can buy the tweak "iKeywi HD for iPad" ($2.99, USD) from Cydia (the jail breaker's "store"). With this tweak, you can customize 20 keys on the main keyboard and 20 more keys on the number keyboard. With it, you can have a lot of keys easily accessible.

Although, if you press the shift key and hold it while swiping to the letter, the capital letter will be placed when you release the key. The same if you press and hold the ".?123" key. This swiping makes it quicker and easier to type and does not. Require a jail break.

On the last bit, there are several tweaks that allow you to set a default browser (Chrome being one of them) that will open when you press links.

There is a jail break on iOS 7.0.1 to 7.0.6. However, if you have already upgraded to iOS 7.1 - I'm afraid there is no jail break for that version.

Just something to think about...

Marilyn

OP
J

jfarinella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll look into all of them (although I'm at 7.1 and I'll have to wait for the next jail break). FYI, Touchdown is a breeze to setup and it's a great program. I have exchange through Office 365 and I have used Touchdown for years. It allows me to sync mail, contacts, notes, tasks and calenders. All of my devices stay current.

Most reactions