What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prevent ipad from being detected by Windows

Luis Urbina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPhone in the hospital, and when the battery is running low, I plug it into any computer USB port (all Windows) to charge it. Windows detects my iPhone and wants me to choose what to do with my iPhone pictures. I do not want to download my pictures, and I am afraid that one day I will forget to click "Cancel" and someone walking by is going to download my pictures. Is there a way of disabling something IN THE IPHONE, so that Windows cannot recognize it as a source of pictures? All I find is how to prevent iPhoto from opening up. There are hundreds of computers in the hospital, and I plug into any available port for CHARGING only, so the solution has to be configured in the iphone
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could use the supplied charger and plug your iPhone into any handy wall socket. That would prevent that scenario from ever happening.

OP
L

Luis Urbina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, only I would have to carry it with me all the time. It's inconvenient. I keep a spare cable in my labcoat pocket which is inconvenient enough. Thanks for your reply

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way to achieve what you want, because Windows will always recognize the iPhone as a digital camera, even downloading drivers if necessary.

The only way I can think of preventing this is to change the name of the DCIM folder (if this is even possible). I would not do this to my phone, and would not take any responsibility for any damage done.

Unfortunately, Setting a lock code will make no difference. We have had members who have locked themselves out and wanted to retrieve pictures before restoring.

I'm afraid scifan's suggestion is the only feasible option.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is very strange, I charge my iPad off my work laptop all the time, I think it recognised it the first time, I clicked the little x (I think) in the pop up box and it's never recognised it since.

The Archangel

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually theres a way because i bought an ipad usb cable brand name is mckal little bit expensive but at the end of cable plug to the ipad theres a switch you can choose labelled standard and stealth and if you choose stealth and plug your ipad to the pc or laptop it will charge without anything pop up on windows :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
actually theres a way because i bought an ipad usb cable brand name is mckal little bit expensive but at the end of cable plug to the ipad theres a switch you can choose labelled standard and stealth and if you choose stealth and plug your ipad to the pc or laptop it will charge without anything pop up on windows :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I googled the McKal chargers.There a a number of them but I couldn't see that stealth feature. Can you provide a model number?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

randomm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too googled the McKal chargers no doubt there are number of them but I did not find any of them.The reason being I am ill and as per my GP advised on I am on complete bed rest over a best quality foam mattress.This was just a sharing,anyhow I will look for these again and will updates soon.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use my iPhone in the hospital, and when the battery is running low, I plug it into any computer USB port (all Windows) to charge it. Windows detects my iPhone and wants me to choose what to do with my iPhone pictures. I do not want to download my pictures, and I am afraid that one day I will forget to click "Cancel" and someone walking by is going to download my pictures. Is there a way of disabling something IN THE IPHONE, so that Windows cannot recognize it as a source of pictures? All I find is how to prevent iPhoto from opening up. There are hundreds of computers in the hospital, and I plug into any available port for CHARGING only, so the solution has to be configured in the iphone
Thanks

I have the same situation when using my hospital based desk top as well. It always detects my iPhone at which time I do have to cancel out. Never had the scenario that it the popup only occurred once than stopped appearing as what Gabriel1 refers to.

Fortunately this is my office computer so no one except me has access to it! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts