What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying photographs from Windows to my IPAD

Mike W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me. I have aquired my first IPAD (IPAD 1), this is my first experience of apple.
I have used Windows for years and like the logical way I can organise my file with lots of sub folders for my photographs. I have over 12,000 photo's in many folders all named various ways and sorted the way I want them. I am able to sync these to my IPAD but it only goes to the first level folders, so all sub folders are put into one folder on the IPAD, not ideal for me. One of the things I cannot understand with Apple is why the files with pictures sorted say by a number are jumbled up on the IPAD in a different order. today I downloaded a file of 2000 photo's and except for the first phto they were all in the order I required, I then made a few changes to the Windows file and resynced, this time they came down on the IPAD quite differently!!!!
Same with alpha sorted files usually about 50 jumbled at the front , then the rest OK. I need my photo's in the same order on the IPAD as my Windows file. and to this extent I am very disappointed with the IPAD. Can anyone explain the logic (if any) to the way IPAD organised the transfers, I have check if by date, size of file etc but whatever way I organize the test files I cannot determine this.
Hope you can help
Thanks
Mike

stuartgw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike, I'm having exactly the same issue with mine (iPad 3). It's really annoying when all photos on the PC are exactly in the right order, then after a sync on the iPad they're all over the place. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this and I've tried, like you, renaming files to see if it works numerically, alphabetically or otherwise. I've kind of come to the conclusion it must be something to do with the camera info (meta tags?) where it's picking up on either the creation or modified date etc. I'm about to experiment in photoshop to see if I can removed this date on a sample folder, then number the pictures sequentially and sync to see if that fixes it. If it does (no bets) then great, but it would be a huge pain in the ass to go through all pictures removing this data..
Best of luck
Stuart

stuartgw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike, I'm having exactly the same issue with mine (iPad 3). It's really annoying when all photos on the PC are exactly in the right order, then after a sync on the iPad they're all over the place. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this and I've tried, like you, renaming files to see if it works numerically, alphabetically or otherwise. I've kind of come to the conclusion it must be something to do with the camera info (meta tags?) where it's picking up on either the creation or modified date etc. I'm about to experiment in photoshop to see if I can removed this date on a sample folder, then number the pictures sequentially and sync to see if that fixes it. If it does (no bets) then great, but it would be a huge pain in the ass to go through all pictures removing this data..
Best of luck
Stuart

Update to the message above. Yes, it seems that it's the meta tags (the data buried in the photo that's generated by the camera at the time the picture is taken) that prevents them bing displayed in the proper sequence once a sync has taken place. You can download free data removal programs from the net. I got it to work but also had to number files within individual folders, 01, 02, 03 etc. Anyhow, hope this helps.
Stuart

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I think this tutorial by one of our members will help you with this
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/4621-how-sync-photos-your-ipad-itunes.html

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
M

Mike W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Stuart, I did pick up on one of the forums it was something to do with dates, but checks in windows with small amounts of data I still found date photo taken in windows file was not aways the sequence on the IPAD. With regard to the sub folders I have converted them by renaming to Level 1, a right pain which took a whole day to do and messed up my neat tidy windows file but it worked out on the IPAD OK. Can you tell me how you managed to change the met data, I work with Windows XP (not an expert on systems side of things) and can't find how to do it. Another problem for me is I have some thousands of pictures which have been scanned in and are included in these files, and are part of my number/name sequencing, is there met data with these that I can change, if not I have lost one of the main reasons for buying the IPAD.
Thanks for replying and your info
Kind regards

Mike

stuartgw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike
We used a free program that we downloaded which removed all meta data from the pictures (you can process hundreds at a time!). Sorry I can't provide you with the link to the program today - my friend isn't around today, who has the details - but I'll get back to you on that. One thing to bear in mind is that you may want to make a copy of all your photos and save them in a 'for my iPad' folder in case you have need to resort to the originals at a later date, and certainly if you may have need of any of the data embedded in the pcitures - that's what we did. We still have a slight residual issue with the ordering on just a few pictures but will work on it again later this week. I'll also get round to checking the links/info kindly given by Leelai above (thanks Leelai!).
All the best
Stuart

Most reactions

Latest posts