What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to take HDR pictues?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
There are many options.

I have tried both "Top Camera" and "Pro HDR". Top camera seems to have a much better user interface and options like a level to make sure your holding the device level when taking the shot. On the other hand in my results Pro HDR seemed to have a better end resulting HDR picture. They both take two pictures (under and over exposed) and murg them to make the HDR image, you are going to want to set the iPad or iPhone on something sturdy so that it does not move while taking both pictures.

There are also app that do whats called Tone Mapping. What this does is let you take a single picture and there are colors that are detected by the camera sensor and saved in the image file that the screen can't display. What the program does in convert those invisible colors into the nearest visible color. This makes colors much brighter and gives the picture a similar look to HDR. The two apps that I have used that do Tone Mapping are both iPhone apps.

The first app is called Camera360, and in camera360 selecting the HDR filter will not take an HDR photo but will use Tone Mapping to get the HDR looking picture.

The other app is called Flare, It's not a photo taking app. What it does is record video with Tone Mapping. Since it is an iPhone app, the video quality doesn't seem to turn out that great when recording from my iPad 3. Here is a quick video I just took with it now so that you would have an example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen Elliott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using ProHDR and have been impressed so far Pro HDR for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G on the iTunes App Store
A quick shot taken the other evening from my house

Ipad HDR.jpg
This was shot using the auto setting but it also gives you the option of manually selecting the exposure

Cheers Steve

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cheers. I've got it too. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

ianholmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pro HDR is my app of choice. It helps to even mount an iPhone on a tripod. It's an absolute essential if you're planning on using an iPad. I haven't been able to hold the iPad still enough yet to get a decent picture.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ianholmes said:
Pro HDR is my app of choice. It helps to even mount an iPhone on a tripod. It's an absolute essential if you're planning on using an iPad. I haven't been able to hold the iPad still enough yet to get a decent picture.

I know this is a silly question, but how do you mount iPhone and iPad on a tripod?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
there are cases for the iPhone that have the screw hole for mounting on tripod. I don't know about the iPad, but they do sell microphone stand mounts for the iPad.

ianholmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several tripod mounts for an iPhone I use something called a glif. I haven't done any serious searching for an iPad mount yet but I did find something called iShot...

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I know this is a silly question, but how do you mount iPhone and iPad on a tripod?

I bought a little clip that holds my iPhone and has a tripod screw hole in the bottom. It works great although a little flimsy. For my iPad3, I just purchased the IK Multimedia iKlip which hold your iPad on a music stand. It makes a great mount for the camera too!

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
drathbun said:
I bought a little clip that holds my iPhone and has a tripod screw hole in the bottom. It works great although a little flimsy. For my iPad3, I just purchased the IK Multimedia iKlip which hold your iPad on a music stand. It makes a great mount for the camera too!

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

I play clarinet in a quintet. Can one really use an iPad to display music while on a stand? I would think is is too small. I can see some advantage in pages turns, though. We have a Performance on the 20th so maybe I ought to get my act in gear on this....if it really works. Any apps for displaying music parts while playing?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I play clarinet in a quintet. Can one really use an iPad to display music while on a stand? I would think is is too small. I can see some advantage in pages turns, though. We have a Performance on the 20th so maybe I ought to get my act in gear on this....if it really works. Any apps for displaying music parts while playing?

I have friends who use their iPads for precisely this purpose. There are Apps that monitor the music you're playing and then turn the pages automatically.....it's almost too good to be true. We got an iPad holder for a music stand but you need to check the reviews of these things, some of the stands have been known to allow the iPad slide out!

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh Archangel Gabriel! That sounds truly heavenly! Would you be so kind as to ask your angel friends what those apps might be? I'd be on a cloud if I had such an app! I'm looking at SheetRack at the moment...it has a metronome feature, but I don't see where it says it can do page turning automagically!

Most reactions

Latest posts